The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
5" video monitor PPM, phase, levels?
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

5" video monitor PPM, phase, levels?

I am thinking of buying an Atomos or Feelworld 5" monitor for video (over HDMI) in the near future.

I then started wondering if I could use it as a portable display for levels, phase, etc, because PPM meters, etc are expensive. I guess I'm looking for a small battery powered ADC with metering over HDMI out.

Doable with a raspberry Pi, but I'm just wondering if there are more compact options.
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

I am guessing that you have already explored Wi-Fi choices? If your interface is capable of getting onto an ethernet somehow, there might be an app that will allow metering. A Wi-Fi hub from the local thrift store will be all you need. I know that the JoeCo BBR and my A&H SQ6 are both able to show good (better) meters on an iPad than on the device.

Do you have a device that has HDMI out on it? I've never seen one.

D.
Old 22nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Rather than fishing around this or other threads for the specific answers you are looking for perhaps a phone call to Atomos, (503)388-3236, will be the most intelligent place to start. I have found their technical assistance to be the best in the industry over the 3 years I have been using their recorders. (a Blade and a Ninja V) They will tell you very quickly exactly what their gear can or can not do and recommend a best practice protocol for any and all of their subject gear.
Hugh
Old 22nd June 2019
Lives for gear

i'd be interested in such a display/monitor too - i'm wondering though how things could be done as one would still need a matrix to feed signals into, dsp to process signals before they can get displayed?! so far, i'm using either rme's free software on the recording pc or a dk meter if using other recording media.
any inexpensive programs which can run on a tiny pc?
Old 22nd June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
I am thinking of buying an Atomos or Feelworld 5" monitor for video (over HDMI) in the near future.
Do you mind me asking why you're opting for a 5" monitor as opposed to a 7" one? Are you using it on or off-camera? I'm on the fence between a 5" or 7" monitor. I'm going for the Atomos.

Thanks!
Old 22nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Deedeeyeah, exactly, I could buy a cheap adc dongle and plug it into a tiny computer and run a monitoring software and send it over HDMI, but I wonder if anyone has made an all-in-one option, such a thing could be probably made the size of a USB stick with a HDMI out and an analog in, but that's pure fantasy.
Old 22nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
Do you mind me asking why you're opting for a 5" monitor as opposed to a 7" one? Are you using it on or off-camera? I'm on the fence between a 5" or 7" monitor. I'm going for the Atomos.

Thanks!
I'm thinking that 5" because I want to get a BMPCC 4K and use it on camera for handheld footage and as a secondary monitor and then use it off on a cable for follow focus for other things..

I can rent larger monitors if needs be but 5" really seems like plenty, especially if you have your camera inbuilt monitor on normal and log mode and your external monitor zoomed in or vice versa so you can check both framing and critical focus simultaneously..
Again anything more critical would be better served with another human assisting and a rented larger monitor.
This is somewhat speculation as I am moderately new to video, but have been on a number of shoots and I am a keen researcher.
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

http://www.audioinjector.net/rpi-zero
this plus a pi zero running http://friture.org
seems to be cheapest/simplest option.