The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Extra Foam in SM58's?
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Guru

Extra Foam in SM58's?

So there's this performance venue with a live audience, PT recording and live video streaming. For my taste, there's too much P-popping, sometimes by a lot. The video people don't want to see pop filters. Have any of you tried sneaking extra or alternate foam or other material into the ball of a 58?
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear
I think it could work, try some experiments with various foam thicknesses and densities...I was able to successfully replace the foam in an ATM 250 kick drum mic: degrading foam inserts within dynamic mic cage basket

If that fails, you could try a few sandwiched layers of the "Charmin tissue mod"... that was advocated for the HF driver of the NS-10...

Last edited by studer58; 14th June 2019 at 06:30 AM..
Old 14th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
So there's this performance venue with a live audience, PT recording and live video streaming. For my taste, there's too much P-popping, sometimes by a lot. The video people don't want to see pop filters. Have any of you tried sneaking extra or alternate foam or other material into the ball of a 58?
They won't let you put foamy windscreens over the ball?
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAnderson View Post
They won't let you put foamy windscreens over the ball?
They'd prefer not. They're the video guys and they get more votes. Hardly unusual.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Addict
I'd try a layer of fine mesh, similar to what on-stage condensers do with their multi-stage grilles. Works quite well unless someone is particularly prone to plosives...

Chris
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Remove inside foam of the ball, then take a 2" piece of electrical tape, cut it length ways so you have two 2" strips about a 1/4" wide, place the tape in an "X" on the inside of the ball, reinsert inside foam.

BTW, the SM58 still suck after all these years.

edit: also I've done the small shirt button hot glued to the inside of the ball which works ok, but I had the glue come undone on me before, but I decided to add it as an alternative.

Also engaging a 50-100hz roll off is handy in these situations too.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
They'd prefer not. They're the video guys and they get more votes. Hardly unusual.
Ha....I'd bet they would if it had the video guy's business logo screen printed on the foam gag....nothing atypical about that either.
Old 14th June 2019
Use a black women's nylon stocking pulled over the ball head and affixed with a black rubber band to the body of the mic. Cut off the excess stocking. Works GREAT and is "almost" invisible.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Use a black women's nylon stocking pulled over the ball head and affixed with a black rubber band to the body of the mic. Cut off the excess stocking. Works GREAT and is "almost" invisible.
At my local 7-Eleven, the only kind they have are men's. The kind guys use for robbing 7-Elevens. Will those work?

Kidding. And great idea, Tom, but if the video boys can see it at all they'll nix it.
Old 14th June 2019
Quote:
At my local 7-Eleven, the only kind they have are men's. The kind guys use for robbing 7-Elevens. Will those work?

Kidding. And great idea, Tom, but if the video boys can see it at all they'll nix it.
Actually the video people love it. It takes the shine off the 58 ball and if done correctly is almost completely invisible. FWIW
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Actually the video people love it.
These specific video people don't. And it's non-negotiable.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

I have similar issues with stand up comedy gigs and video crews. Watching this thread closely.
Old 15th June 2019
Quote:
These specific video people don't. And it's non-negotiable.
Too bad.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear
Brent, in your situation is the SM58 typically being hand-held or on a stand ?
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Brent, in your situation is the SM58 typically being hand-held or on a stand ?
Both. On a stand, you can position the mic so it's under and pointed up (the video guys DO like that), but a determined popper will pop nevertheless.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Both. On a stand, you can position the mic so it's under and pointed up (the video guys DO like that), but a determined popper will pop nevertheless.
Yes, if you're lucky it can be fixed with a little education talk with the talent, but probably not in this case.

Better to source a few handfuls of various density foam sheets and experiment at home with a 58. When you hit jackpot with the right combo, borrow their mic for 90 seconds, when nobody's looking, and do the substitution...everyone will thank you for it later.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Yes, if you're lucky it can be fixed with a little education talk with the talent, but probably not in this case.
Nope, 3 minutes before downbeat of a live show isn't a good time for educating. :-)

Quote:
Better to source a few handfuls of various density foam sheets and experiment at home with a 58. When you hit jackpot with the right combo, borrow their mic for 90 seconds, when nobody's looking, and do the substitution... everyone will thank you for it later.
Sounds like a plan. If I swap in a pre-foamed ball, should take more like 10 seconds. But nobody will thank me, they'll just think it was magic.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sounds like a plan. If I swap in a pre-foamed ball, should take more like 10 seconds. But nobody will thank me, they'll just think it was magic.
Yep, just make sure the ball substitution is with one similarly new (or battered) as theirs

I'm convinced that 50% or more of mic poppers have no intention of stopping the habit, they like the cachet of offensiveness and attention-getting it gives them, like it makes them sound aggressive, involved, real...esp rappers

Or they think it's an inbuilt design flaw of all mics...like their use of it has no bearing at all Expect one or both of these groups to try even harder to make the 'modified' mic pop ("Hey....what's wrong with thing, must be broken....I can't hear no poppin' )

Good luck !
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Nope, 3 minutes before downbeat of a live show isn't a good time for educating. :-)

just use the excuse that you like to keep your Balls Clean !! thats why you change them out .. and we should find you one of those Golf Ball Washers - attach to a mic stand and have next to you .. a little slight of hand and it might actually look ike you are Washing them !!
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Ya know those little stainless steel screens that you find inside the head of a water faucet?

Pull the foam out of the ball-top of your '58, and super glue one of them onto the inside (in the middle).

Then put the foam back in, and screw it back together.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear
The electrical tape/shirt button idea outlined by audio specific earlier in this thread reminds me of the 'pencil attached with rubber band' idea used in the Beatles era.

Not that I'm suggesting the pencil solution in this case of course....but these suggestions all use the approach of a solid, small baffle in front of the diaphragm to break up and diffract the air blast, so that its energy is reduced. I like the shirt button idea !

At any rate, it's an alternative to the denser foam layer approach.
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
For what it's worth, I think the all black foam wind screens look better, especially for broadcast/podcasts - when I use them I sell it to the client as a feature rather than a liability. "And, it looks like a cool broadcast studio mic!" But obviously, your video guys already have an opinion on this. Best of luck, and let us know what you end up using in case we run into a similar situation.
Old 29th June 2019
Gear Guru

Here's the latest -- I've tried all the inside-the-ball suggestions from here and a few more that others came up with. Nothing works. The Chieftain of Video has decided he's okay with external as long as it's black or a dark gray, and we place the mic relatively up-from-under (which is better for video in any case).
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's the latest -- I've tried all the inside-the-ball suggestions from here and a few more that others came up with. Nothing works. The Chieftain of Video has decided he's okay with external as long as it's black or a dark gray, and we place the mic relatively up-from-under (which is better for video in any case).
That's good news!

Glad you could come to terms with the video folks.

...Keeps you from being tempted to use THIS mic (and NOT on the singer!):
Attached Thumbnails
Extra Foam in SM58's?-58-knuckles.jpg  
Old 30th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Alls well that ends well. And now we know - don’t try to foam your sm58 grills. Cheers man!
Old 30th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjuxtable View Post
Alls well that ends well. And now we know - don’t try to foam your sm58 grills. Cheers man!
Thanks for reporting back Brent, at least you gave the alternatives a trial. The only suggestion I'd have as a follow-on would be a dedicated kick drum mic, but they don't lend themselves to handheld use too easily:https://www.storedj.com.au/sennheise...cy-instruments
Old 30th June 2019
Brent,

Please see #8 and #10 replies above. FWIW
Old 30th June 2019
Lives for gear

Woldn't it be "funny" if the external foam didn't work either?
Old 30th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Woldn't it be "funny" if the external foam didn't work either?
A Rycote Zeppelin is gonna look pretty weird on video....
Old 30th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Brent,

Please see #8 and #10 replies above. FWIW
i just put a guitar pick inside a 58 to see how that works .. no better for Pop's and bad for freq !! ouch .. but what this yells me is, the side ports helping the Cardioid Pattern are getting hit by Air as well .. more than i thought really .. hence the test ..

i like Nylons as a Tech Producer - one of those guys !! haha, no really i am still an audio person at heart, so i help the sound dept more than Video sometimes ... LOL !!

Black Nylons with a black rubberband would be cool if it knocks down the Pop's .. i will need to run over to Walgreens and Buy some Choclate Bars and Nylons and see if they look at me funny !!!

serious Q: is it a thicker Nylon stocking you are getting??

.. are you putting the Thiicker Part over the head ?? i mean the Crotch .. ?? would that be weird for the Singer !! haha
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search