The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CM4 Is Here. Let's start a thread for it and let the CM3 go on
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

CM4 Is Here. Let's start a thread for it and let the CM3 go on

Don't have a CM4 but it will no doubt be another Line Audio big bang for a little buck and we can count on JP Gerard to handle the retail and service end of things.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Good idea.
I ordered 4 to test last week...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

does anyone know what the difference is between the old and new mic?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
does anyone know what the difference is between the old and new mic?
CM3 - really THAT good?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
thx - i'd appreciate reading a little bit more detailed comparison (and measurements) though; hope this will become available once some more cm'4's will be sold/used...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
thx - i'd appreciate reading a little bit more detailed comparison (and measurements) though; hope this will become available once some more cm'4's will be sold/used...
Full specs are on Line Audio's website. I also have both CM3 and CM4 on mine so it's easy to open the polar/freq. responses in adjacent windows if you're into that

I'll just add again that the CM4 is basically the CM3 re-invented because a critical part is not available anymore and Roger "simply" wanted to keep making the CM3 - but couldn't call the new mic "CM3" when the capsule is completely new. Happy accident, the CM4 capsule is more flexible so a bit more pattern control is possible. Hence for instance the slight "improvement" if you want to call it that, in 180° rejection.

We'll get samples soon I'm sure.

I A/B'ed a pair of the first CM4 pre prod batch with typical CM3's and you could go crazy trying to tell them apart unless you know which is which and what to listen for. Once you know what to listen for it becomes easier but in the context of a multiple mic setup? Difference are irrelevant. Yet I'm sure some will prefer one or the other as there ARE nuances... I hope that we'll avoid the old "the original model was better" but who knows. Vintage CM3's are now a reality I guess.......
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Full specs are on Line Audio's website. I also have both CM3 and CM4 on mine so it's easy to open the polar/freq. responses in adjacent windows if you're into that

I'll just add again that the CM4 is basically the CM3 re-invented because a critical part is not available anymore and Roger "simply" wanted to keep making the CM3 - but couldn't call the new mic "CM3" when the capsule is completely new. Happy accident, the CM4 capsule is more flexible so a bit more pattern control is possible. Hence for instance the slight "improvement" if you want to call it that, in 180° rejection.

We'll get samples soon I'm sure.

I A/B'ed a pair of the first CM4 pre prod batch with typical CM3's and you could go crazy trying to tell them apart unless you know which is which and what to listen for. Once you know what to listen for it becomes easier but in the context of a multiple mic setup? Difference are irrelevant. Yet I'm sure some will prefer one or the other as there ARE nuances... I hope that we'll avoid the old "the original model was better" but who knows. Vintage CM3's are now a reality I guess.......
i'm less into comparing averaged/smoothed frequency plots (from any manufacturer) but rather into doing measurements myself - or reading from engineers as you who have already compared old and new versions: i'm delighted to hear that the difference in a multi-mic setup is irrelevant!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I know, and that's the proper way

I'm certain that some of the more audiophile oriented GS members will be able to tell them apart with ease. As I said, if you know what to listen for, it's a fun game. But in the real world, I'd say that Roger's attempt at recreating the response of the CM3 with the CM4 met pretty good success. What's funny is that you could say that the difference between the CM3 and CM4 is typical of the tolerances you'd get from most manufacturers... but on the same mic.

It's going to be interesting to get users samples comparing both models but in the end actual CM4 recordings will be judged on their own, not versus recordings done with CM3's.

Roger has a handful of CM3's, I have a few, some dealers have a few here and there but if you guys have one and want a second to make a pair, don't delay. Mating a CM4 with a CM3 is do-able I guess, with a bit of level matching and a touch of EQ, but hardly ideal.
Old 1 week ago
I have a pair of "vintage" CM3s - first $1000.00 US takes them!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
My CM3's are similarly vintage....but I'm unable to prove it.....Roger forgot to engrave serial numbers into the base. Major oversight by manufacturer... ! Too valuable for me to sell them anyways, regardless of whether they've gone up or down in value over the last decade that I've owned them.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Ha... it's also possible that the earlier CM3 revs with less headroom and a narrower Phantom voltage window will gain mystical qualities... but back to reality, all CM3's are pretty much the same when it comes to "normal" performance under "normal" circumstances. Capsule ageing will of course occur but those are very stable devices, nothing like an old Neumann M7 for instance. They will lose a bit of sensitivity over decades, but so little it's usually irrelevant anyway.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
JP...I'm wondering if the electret principle would tend to make such mics more/equally or less susceptible to fizzing, crackling and sputtering in very adverse (ie humid, tropical or rapid hot > cold condensation) conditions ? Or is that more a condition of dust and moisture on the capsule allowing a conduction path....?

While the Sennheiser RF mics are renowned as being the most resistant to that sort of breakdown, I wonder how permanently-charged electret membranes like the CM3/CM4 fare against more conventional condensor mics ?

I know there are some very expensive and highly regarded mics which are also electrets (DPA ?) ...so it's not a construction style confined only to the cheaper end of the microphone world.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Actually less, there's no DC rail potentially developing issues and the typically lower polarizing charge is less prone to causing problems. Electrets are also typically sealed or almost so: unless a directional pattern is designed then you still need pressure EQ ports but the openings are usually (again, generalizing) less of a potential problem. These days many condensers have open backplates with holes leading right into to heart of the capsule. Cost efficient for sure but an open door to contamination that cannot be fixed unless you can open the capsule and clean the insides (seldom the case). And yes, Electrets have evolved and as Roger proved so well, they can produce admirable results. CM3's have definitely been reliable little critters and I have customers who've used them in high humidity environments on purpose because they're by design more resistant than, say, an Oktava 012.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search