The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
CM4 Is Here. Let's start a thread for it and let the CM3 go on
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
No, the OM1 is a pure Omni, nothing in common with the CM3/CM4. To date there are no news of a potential shortage of those parts.
Thanks for confirmation JP
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Which are the CM3's, which the CM4's?

Hi!

I had the chance to make a live recording with both a CM3 pair and a CM4 pair (women's barbershop quartet)

- Microphones in NOS setting.
- CM3 and CM4 close to each other in MS clamps.
- About 3m from the floor.
- Stand about 3m from the singers.
- Recorder: zoom H6

The pictures will give an idea of the location and setting.

- A sample of the CM3's and one of the CM4's
- Samples only made equal in RMS, no EQ or whatever.
- Sample Type converted from 96/24 wave to 44/16, saved ass mp3 320kbps

I am curious if anyone can distinguish the microphones.

Peter.
Attached Thumbnails
CM4 Is Here.  Let's start a thread for it and let the CM3 go on-waalse_kerk.jpg   CM4 Is Here.  Let's start a thread for it and let the CM3 go on-statief.jpg   CM4 Is Here.  Let's start a thread for it and let the CM3 go on-mic_setting.jpg  
Attached Files

CM3orCM4_1.mp3 (2.65 MB, 1703 views)

CM3orCM4_2.mp3 (2.65 MB, 943 views)

Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendriks View Post
Hi!

I had the chance to make a live recording with both a CM3 pair and a CM4 pair (women's barbershop quartet)

Peter.
Beautiful! Plesure to listen (laughing with the text message though )

Second sample is tighter, more focused, less wide. I guess it's CM4.
Ther first sounds more "omni".
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Like the 2nd more. What it is, don't know (as I haven't used the CM mics) but as a preference the second.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Both sound great, I think _2 sounds a little more 'omni' so maybe that's the CM3, if the CM4 is claimed to have a slightly tighter cardioid pattern, but there's not a lot of difference in it ? Opposite conclusion to Stradivariusz lol !....will be interesting to read which is which after more people have posted their guesses ?

In the 2nd photo (side on) it looks as if one pair of mics is pointing quite differently than the other (one set points down, the other closer to horizontal, as if pulled by the tension of the cables)....yet the 3rd picture MS clips you used to join the mics together would seem to prevent this ? Maybe it's just the NOS spacing confusing me...which is the correct depiction of their 'pointing angles' ?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

When there's so much confusion, the logical conclusion is that there's not enough of a difference to be heard I guess an in depth analysis might reveal something. But as far as telling them apart by listening, as many customers pointed out already - it's difficult indeed.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendriks View Post
Hi!

Peter.
Very nice! Waalse kerk Delft?
I think the second track is the cm4. I hear a little more low in it, approx 2db about 30-50Hz (space resonans).
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradivariusz View Post
Second sample is tighter, more focused, less wide. I guess it's CM4.
Ther first sounds more "omni".
This is what I hear too. Plus a lot of very annoying noise from the air system. Hendriks, couldn't you ask them to turn it off for the concert? It was a perfect temperature day anyway, so the blowers didn't make much sense.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Both sound great, I think _2 sounds a little more 'omni' so maybe that's the CM3, if the CM4 is claimed to have a slightly tighter cardioid pattern, but there's not a lot of difference in it ? Opposite conclusion to Stradivariusz lol !....will be interesting to read which is which after more people have posted their guesses ?

In the 2nd photo (side on) it looks as if one pair of mics is pointing quite differently than the other (one set points down, the other closer to horizontal, as if pulled by the tension of the cables)....yet the 3rd picture MS clips you used to join the mics together would seem to prevent this ? Maybe it's just the NOS spacing confusing me...which is the correct depiction of their 'pointing angles' ?
Haha, I see what you mean. Listening today again makes me hesitate a little, but when I listen louder I have an impression that the second sample is slightly closer sounding, so might be more cardioidish CM4? :D Funny though, difference is small. Also what dingenus writes about the resonanse is true, stereo image in the first is very equal from left to right, but the second example does not have it, some freqs sound suddenly closer than others - maby through this resonance or more directivity in the pattern...
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

OT: I would never have expected hear a barbershop version of a classic Beach Boys hit sung in the Netherlands. Very cool.
Old 1 day ago
So which was which here?
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Looking at the specs - the CM4 does look like a real cardioid mic. - the CM3 was more of a wide-cardioid.

Does Line Audio make a hypercardioid?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
Does Line Audio make a hypercardioid?
This has been addressed. No and if Roger manages to come up with a Super or Hyper it won't be tomorrow. If it happens, that's a big if, I can't imagine a commercial product being released before 2021. But I keep bugging him about it

Last edited by jpgerard; 1 day ago at 08:43 AM.. Reason: butterfingers
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search