The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
800 voices for Beethoven Symphony live broadcast
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
800 voices for Beethoven Symphony live broadcast

800 voice choir plus orchestra, at the Sydney Opera House, last Sunday....there's a 17 minute video here, to show the logistics of it all:

https://www.abc.net.au/classic/read-...house/11186888

https://sydneyphilharmonia.com.au/co...chorusoz-2019/
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
800 voice choir plus orchestra, at the Sydney Opera House, last Sunday....there's a 17 minute video here, to show the logistics of it all:

https://www.abc.net.au/classic/read-...house/11186888

https://sydneyphilharmonia.com.au/co...chorusoz-2019/
I saw no logistics in the videos only the performance. Was there a behind the scenes video? Just wondering.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I saw no logistics in the videos only the performance. Was there a behind the scenes video? Just wondering.
No behind the scenes video as far as I know...logistics was probably the wrong word, I know the choir was largely comprised of interested amateurs, and rehearsals were limited, so the singers are largely flying on instinct and adrenalin. Quite a substantial achievement all round
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
No behind the scenes video as far as I know...logistics was probably the wrong word, I know the choir was largely comprised of interested amateurs, and rehearsals were limited, so the singers are largely flying on instinct and adrenalin. Quite a substantial achievement all round
And they did a commendable job. I would really like to see some "behind the scenes" footage of the event. I always learn so much from watching how others do things. FWIW
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Pity that the video sound is only mono, and out of sync ... at least that's how it got to me.

Not sure if the ABC or the Opera House Audio rigged it - either way they probably emptied the mic locker. There's probably an SM58 or two skulking around in the back line somewhere - or did I see a couple of TF-5s on those floor booms ... :o))
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by panatrope View Post
Pity that the video sound is only mono, and out of sync ... at least that's how it got to me...
this - and that the mezzo-soprano is a miscast! i admit that i'm not much of a fan of belcanto (and hence prefer to record/mix instrumental or older music) but this here is really way too much (vibrato on every note) - there must be a reason belcanto wasn't much accepted in france up until the 19th century...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I recorded a performance of the Berlioz Requiem at the Sydney Opera House probably 15 years ago or so with 400 in the choir. I thought that was big. The sound was pretty spectacular though. I can only imagine what that was like.

-Ben
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

400 to 800 singers sounds like a lot until you
consider the Estonian Song Festival,
Here’s a video from 2014 Estonian Song Festival
Finale with 30000 singers (and 100000 spectators)
How would you try to record 30000 singers?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SKf1NbxwbWw
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
400 to 800 singers sounds like a lot until you
consider the Estonian Song Festival,
Here’s a video from 2014 Estonian Song Festival
Finale with 30000 singers (and 100000 spectators)
How would you try to record 30000 singers?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SKf1NbxwbWw
I would have thought a lavalier on each singer would be most practical....wireless even, if you insist ! Might tie up a few mixers, but would be a good test for Dante or similar networking. Alternatively a couple of PZM's gaffa-taped to the underside of the soundshell.

They could each sing into their cellphone and have it directed to a single recipient...would make for a hell of a 1-way conference call...if they had 2 recipients you'd have an instant stereo mix of all the voices !

Wait....is that a PA speaker stack tower burning from the top down, or a 9/11 style attack ?

Last edited by studer58; 1 week ago at 08:45 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would have thought a lavalier on each singer would be most practical....wireless even, if you insist ! Might tie up a few mixers, but would be a good test for Dante or similar networking
Lavaliers for 30000 singers ???
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Lavaliers for 30000 singers ???
I'm sure Rode would jump in with loaners for the event, would be a valuable PR stunt for their marketing dept !
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Yup. And one would have to source a 30000 channel mixer. Possibly working in 900 layers.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

"I have a buzz on channel 21578 . And please check out channel 14344, I think I hear a little less high end on that microphone."
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
please add reverb to channel 1056 and fricking mute channel 9009
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
"....and just to be safe zap the lot of 'em with Autotune"
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

while there are a few desks which actually could process this insane amount of channels, it'd be a bit tough on the engineer to align all spots to the mains during soundcheck and stay within the time schedule...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search