The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rode Launches TF-5 Mics
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
... often described SDC's as spitty (I know what he mean)
Hmm, I thought this early on with a few mics and preamps. But once I upgraded I felt this was certainly not the case. My favourite capsules of all time are the MK2 and the TLM170, so maybe there is a colour there that I like, along the lines of the statement above. But I do not find any of my current collection of condensers remotely spitty. Maybe my HF has gone.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
In this case I believe it's more than just an endorsement by Tony Faulkner, but rather a true involvement in the process of developing a new SDC microphone. I'm curious because TF has often described SDC's as spitty (I know what he mean), so I see a good chance that he would only put his own name on this, if it's actually different from other SDC's. But of course, using them for real and find out what we can achieve with them, is what counts...

Looking forward to more

::
Mads
could be... - we'd need to ask him on his involvement and his use of these new mics!

from looking at the graphs, i'm somewhat sceptical (regarding my peronal use) as i don't have any additional need for mic's with a hf boost - not that such a design is bad under every circumstance, it's just that i have enough such sdc's (and i often need to 'hide' mics inside the orchestra which further diminishes the chance for using them).

*** does anyone know why on earth almost every modern condenser mic with a cardioid pattern shows a hf boost? is this due to mechanical reasons? why do mk4's or km84's measure much more flat? ***
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Hmm, I thought this early on with a few mics and preamps. But once I upgraded I felt this was certainly not the case. My favourite capsules of all time are the MK2 and the TLM170, so maybe there is a colour there that I like, along the lines of the statement above. But I do not find any of my current collection of condensers remotely spitty. Maybe my HF has gone.
The closer you get to the SDC microphone, the more the spit. KM184 is a good example. I agree that free-field omnis suffers less from this (the TLM170 is hardly an SDC ).

Anyhow I don't want to derail my post - my point was first and foremost that I believe TF is not only in it for the money, but that he sees this as an opportunity, to get a cardioid SDC, that he would like to use himself.

Mads
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
could be... - we'd need to ask him on his involvement and his use of these new mics!

from looking at the graphs, i'm somewhat sceptical (regarding my peronal use) as i don't have any additional need for mic's with a hf boost - not that such a design is bad under every circumstance, it's just that i have enough such sdc's (and i often need to 'hide' mics inside the orchestra which further diminishes the chance for using them).

*** does anyone know why on earth almost every modern condenser mic with a cardioid pattern shows a hf boost? is this due to mechanical reasons? why do mk4's or km84's measure much more flat? ***
If we can believe the published graph, the lift is only 1dB around 10K approaching 2db around 16K, that extra air may give it little more reach. But we can't judge the sound from that. I look forward to many more audio examples and reports from experienced critical users

Mads
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
(...) I look forward to many more audio examples and reports from experienced critical users (...)
...hopefully using more meaningful descriptions than 'spit', 'air', 'reach' etc.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Due to primate DT's Sino-trade wars the $Aust:$US is at a 10 year record low, so American buyers will be distinctly advantaged thus, let's hear no complaints about the mic's price
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Maybe my HF has gone.
Go here and find out for yourself:
http://onlinetonegenerator.com/
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
TF capsules

I can forget my notion of using the wide card TF capsules from Rode's Ambisonic NT-SF1 microphone on the TF-5 mics. I've been informed by Rode that these are not interchangeable. I don't yet know whether the same capsules might be used on the small RodeNT series, but I can hope.

I can't get Rode to talk about any other potentially planned capsules for the TF-5 line. I'm hoping that at least an omni will be in the works. Hard to imagine that it wouldn't be.

I'll likely buy both mics, regardless, and will see what the physical differences might be.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
If the mic amp is as good as claimed, it would be foolish of Rode not to produce a variety of capsules....a Wishlist would see them producing as wide a range of these as Schoeps does !

But, that won't happen.

A failure of Rode is that they underestimate the intelligence and professionalism of their target buyers....something that Schoeps, Neumann and Sennheiser traditionally haven't done. When Rode releases a mic, (at least to date, maybe this will change) their expected take-up audience/buying crowd is the home and project studio market....and of course the lower budget end of the video makers. That's why you won't see a Rode in Abbey Rd or Skywalker....but you will see them in the Pelican cases of upwardly-aspiring location recordists, like myself, and with occasional canny Rode-championing independents like TF.

I suspect a lightbulb has recently flashed on in Peter Freedman's brain as he slowly comes to realise that there is a high-quality location recording market out there....largely cornered thus far by "those Germans"

The NTR active ribbon and this new TF5 represent Freedman's tentative foray into this new (to him) territory....which is why we've only ever had a cardioid and an Omni capsule for the old NT5...and only the NT-45 Omni head has any sort of cred at all in this neck of the woods....

If you watch that video interview he made with TF over 5 years ago, you'll see PF emphasising time and again that he's got next to no experience with recording classical, even acoustic, music. He latched onto TF as a figurehead of a 'whole new market potential'...while acknowledging that his own roots are squarely behind a Mackie desk mixing a RnB band in a Sydney city blues pub.....

I hope for the TF5 (and whatever mics of its ilk are to follow) to become a contender for use in concert halls, by radio broadcasters and in top level recording studios....but predict such acceptance will be a long time coming.

Rode will have to shake off the home studio/video specialty corner it's painted itself into over the last 3 decades....and that won't be easy, if he wants to take on this new sector.....

The NTR was a damn good opening salvo....but little more than that

If we see the emergence of a TF5 series of capsules (ie hyper card, wide card, flat Omni, HF boosted Omni, Fig 8) that are the stock in trade of serious location recordists, then I'll believe the current Deutsche-dominated landscape has a chance of shifting in Rode's favour....but not before.

Last edited by studer58; 1 week ago at 10:25 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Foof View Post
Go here and find out for yourself:
http://onlinetonegenerator.com/
Great website!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
.... If you watch that video interview he made with TF over 5 years ago, you'll see PF emphasising time and again that he's got next to no experience with recording classical, even acoustic, music. He latched onto TF as a figurehead of a 'whole new market potential'...while acknowledging that his own roots are squarely behind a Mackie desk mixing a RnB band in a Sydney city blues pub.....
The "Deutsch-dominated landscape" arose from their market being led by the State broadcasting system (and a cultural heritage) that created a market for such products.

While Rode's eyes are on the international market, and thus need an "international" figure to lead them, I think they have ignored an opportunity locally. In a past life, working with companies involved with advanced product development, as well as having R&D and production in the same building, they also relied on have a close tie with a significant potential local user. In Rode's case, I wonder how much they might have courted an ongoing relationship with our national broadcaster (a significant player in the classical and acoustic music scene) as a test bed. Significant expertise and experience resides within the organisation, which is also largely dominated by the European sensibility.

Sadly, many of the wise heads in that organisation are approaching the 54 years and 11 months pension threshold, so numbers are diminishing (along with the organisation's budget). Occasionally, these people migrate to the ever increasing community broadcasting organisations that are active in this field.

I am not aware how much effort Rode has put into building a relationship with these organisations which are significant users in the field he is trying to enter. I have previously discussed such possibilities with Rode marketing members, who say encouraging things, but as far as I am aware, nothing ever materialised. Maybe TF might be an entree card for re-engaging with this group, which I think would be a valuable local resource for the company. (But I would want to avoid any past echoes of the "cultural cringe" that has been sometimes been evident in such matters ...)

Meanwhile, I await an opportunity to deploy a couple of the new mics in an appropriate side-by-side situation (possibly in association with some of my colleagues in the game).

(PS. I notice my compatriot Simmosonic seems to be giving a pair an international location workout ... I understand some words will be published in the near future.)

Last edited by panatrope; 1 week ago at 01:35 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
If Rode could provide a comprehensive set of interchangeable companion capsules for the TF5, such as the range of (non detachable) offerings from relatively new Taiwanese startup B9 Audio: https://b9audio.com/
they would regain some credibility in my view.

Rode has had decades of opportunity to court favour with the Australian national broadcaster (and Classic FM) as co-partner and equipment supplier....but they squandered that chance and pursued the home/project studio and video market instead (and have succeeded very effectively and profitably, it must be said !)

Anytime you see Classic FM teams' gear out in the field capturing live concerts, it's all SD 702 and 788, Sennheiser MKH, Schoeps Collettes, occasional Neumann LD voice spot mics and AKG old faithfuls...not a Rode to be seen.

As I've said, the NTR and TF5 represent the first convincing foray of Rode into 'esteemed German territory' ....and maybe they'll follow it up with the TFM50...but the overall impression left is one of good and honourable intentions, left far too late to ever become rival contenders for significant market share ?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Watch & Wait

OK, I've decided to watch and wait on the new TF-5 for awhile, to see what develops with their "ecosystem" around it, if any.

I just ordered a pair of Line Audio CM4s, in order to temporarily stop the GS DTs. The shaking is subsiding.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
If Rode could provide a comprehensive set of interchangeable companion capsules for the TF5, such as the range of (non detachable) offerings from relatively new Taiwanese startup B9 Audio: https://b9audio.com/
they would regain some credibility in my view.
B9 certainly does have an impressive array of polar patterns and selections of HF lift (H/HH/HHH)...

They weren’t on my radar. Thanks for the link.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search