The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , , ,

How to record everything? Signal Splitters (HW)
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

How to record everything?

Hi, so I was wondering: if I want to record a live performance, Can I use DI Boxes to split the signal, send one to the mixer (that they are going to split again for the mixer and the monitors I guess) and take one to my interface? How should I do it with vocals and drums? Should I instead use splitters? Or which would be the best way to record everything in separate channels?

Thanks!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

you can use y-cables (which is nothing but simplified version of) a passive splitter or then of course an active splitter which has the benefit of isolated outputs (or a combination of all of these).
i can highly recommend the klark dn1248 - large pa rental companies sometimes still have these if not using their own passive split box.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
It depends on how big and complex the production is...will you be doing the live mix as well as the recording ? Will there be a separate FOH desk and a monitor desk, or will the FOH desk supply monitor sends also ?

The reason for these questions is to determine whether it's feasible for you to get line signals to your interface directly from the FOH mixing console, without even worrying with DI's or splitters.

You can do this, if the mixer has direct recording outputs for each channel...or perhaps a spare (and unused) row of aux outs which can send some signals out to your interface ? Are you also the mixer guy...or the recorder guy only ? Do you know the type/model of the mixer. Are all signals going through the mix desk (eg guitar and bass amp) or will they go out directly from the amp speakers without passing through the PA ?

If you can supply more info about the show and how it's going to be handled PA wise, more advice can be given.....
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
If you can supply more info about the show and how it's going to be handled PA wise, more advice can be given.....
Definitely need more info about the performance, what the system is and how many inputs etc...

There's several different ways to skin this cat.

A passive splitter is the simplest way, but if they are already using a full FOH and monitor console, then I would use a full 3-way transformer isolated split.

If it's a digital console you may be able to take the recording feed right from the console, or from the audio network that the console runs on.

Setting out a bunch of individual DI boxes is about the least elegant way to deal with it, but doable if that's all you have. Just make sure you are only running phantom power from one source if your mics need them.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search