The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
spherical violin handpan duet schoeps mk2 samar tf01
Old 20th April 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
spherical violin handpan duet schoeps mk2 samar tf01

Today we played a duet with my son ... Should you be interested to hear it, here it is ... Violin recorded with the pair of Samar TF01 and handpan with the pair of Schoeps MK2, both with Forssell SMP-2 preamp and MADA-2 converter ...

As I said before, these Samars are the first microphones for me after 15 years to replace Schoeps for recording strings ...


Last edited by ISedlacek; 20th April 2019 at 11:04 PM..
Old 20th April 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
jnorman's Avatar
Beautiful job Ivo.
Old 20th April 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
Very captivating and detailed sound Ivo, well done ! Was it recorded in your Savita studio ? The spherical violin has a luxurious tone...does it have sympathetic strings, similar to a sitar or hurry gurdy ? You seemed to be wearing headphones while playing...is that for effects monitoring?

The Samar mics (with Schoeps) have done a stellar job for yourself and Pavel .....although the TF01 mics are not even in the Samar webpages, is this a very new or prototype microphone for them ?
Old 20th April 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Very captivating and detailed sound Ivo, well done ! Was it recorded in your Savita studio ? The spherical violin has a luxurious tone...does it have sympathetic strings, similar to a sitar or hurry gurdy ? You seemed to be wearing headphones while playing...is that for effects monitoring?

The Samar mics (with Schoeps) have done a stellar job for yourself and Pavel .....although the TF01 mics are not even in the Samar webpages, is this a very new or prototype microphone for them ?
Yes, it was recorded in Savita studio ... Yes, headphones - I actually recorded the violin to Pavel's track after him: much better for the sound We are just connected on the video
Old 20th April 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
jnorman's Avatar
I was also unable to locate a model TF01, but I assume from the “TF” designation it is a condenser model, rather than a ribbon...? Perhaps you could post a pic of the Samar’s?
Since this was done in your studio, I am guessing the beautiful “space” is coming from the M7?
Old 20th April 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
Here are the Samars: VELVET SOUND

I sold Bricasti very long time ago. I much prefer Lexicon sound ... Here a little bit of PCM Random Hall is added ...
Old 20th April 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
jimjazzdad's Avatar
Thanks Ivo, I always enjoy your posts and the examples of the music that you and Pavel make. I visited your website but I could not determine which of your CDs feature you and your son...can you enlighten us?
Old 20th April 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
I was also unable to locate a model TF01, but I assume from the “TF” designation it is a condenser model, rather than a ribbon...? Perhaps you could post a pic of the Samar’s?
Since this was done in your studio, I am guessing the beautiful “space” is coming from the M7?
Actually these are not Samar's but Omni8 Audio is the brand, despite that they come from the same maker: Omni8 Audio - TF08 So the official name is Omni8 Audio TF08. I understand that there has been a revision of the capsule after the version that Ivo uses, so unfortunately Ivo's sample may not be representative for the current sound of the TF08.
Old 20th April 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Actually these are not Samar's but Omni8 Audio is the brand, despite that they come from the same maker: Omni8 Audio - TF08 So the official name is Omni8 Audio TF08. I understand that there has been a revision of the capsule after the version that Ivo uses, so unfortunately Ivo's sample may not be representative for the current sound of the TF08.
As the recent statement of the maker says - he decided to return to the name Samar even for these mics and to stop using the name Omni8 Audio.

I have both versions here - two pairs, one is the latest revision, that sounds somehow more "focused" - I compared both in detail. For my purpose, I somehow prefer the older version ...
Old 20th April 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Thanks Ivo, I always enjoy your posts and the examples of the music that you and Pavel make. I visited your website but I could not determine which of your CDs feature you and your son...can you enlighten us?
We are just before releasing the new album where we play all the pieces together. Will be released in June.

On my latest CD "Silentium" we played together in the last piece that was also captured in a video. SILENTIUM
| Ivo Sedlacek


Old 21st April 2019
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
DaveyJones's Avatar
 

Ivo, where are the landscape pictures from? Beautiful scenery!!!
Old 21st April 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJones View Post
Ivo, where are the landscape pictures from? Beautiful scenery!!!
It is our video from Scotland and Ireland
Old 23rd April 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Marik's Avatar
 

Ivo,

Beautiful playing and sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
I understand that there has been a revision of the capsule after the version that Ivo uses, so unfortunately Ivo's sample may not be representative for the current sound of the TF08.
Earcatcher,

Yes, that's correct--we made second revision, which is the current one. To elaborate on that, the difference with the first one is an addition of frequency dependent internal screen to optimize directivity pattern. That is, because of physics law in single diaphragm vented design (you can find more on that in an excellent Shure paper https://522bb370f5443d4fe5b9-f62de27...hragm_mics.pdf ) the directivity is dependent on frequency and distance to the source. In other words, the capsule can be a perfect cardioid on high frequencies, but on bottom end turn into wide cardioid depending how close to the source it is. That screen stabilizes the pattern across entire range and also, has an additional benefit of controlling proximity effect, so there is no such a large low frequency buildup with close proximity. That is especially useful for vocal, voice, and any close up applications. Just think EV RE20 (even though the same effect was achieved differently).

Perhaps that's the reason Ivo mentioned the new capsules are more focused--their cardioid pattern is tighter. Other than that the tonal balance is pretty similar.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
Mark Fouxman
Samar Audio Design, LLC

P.S. Oh, and that was mistype--we don't have TF01 model, it is TF08.
Old 27th April 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik View Post
Earcatcher,

Yes, that's correct--we made second revision, which is the current one. To elaborate on that, the difference with the first one is an addition of frequency dependent internal screen to optimize directivity pattern. That is, because of physics law in single diaphragm vented design (you can find more on that in an excellent Shure paper https://522bb370f5443d4fe5b9-f62de27...hragm_mics.pdf ) the directivity is dependent on frequency and distance to the source. In other words, the capsule can be a perfect cardioid on high frequencies, but on bottom end turn into wide cardioid depending how close to the source it is. That screen stabilizes the pattern across entire range and also, has an additional benefit of controlling proximity effect, so there is no such a large low frequency buildup with close proximity. That is especially useful for vocal, voice, and any close up applications. Just think EV RE20 (even though the same effect was achieved differently).

Perhaps that's the reason Ivo mentioned the new capsules are more focused--their cardioid pattern is tighter. Other than that the tonal balance is pretty similar.
Thank you for the clarification. Also thank you for the paper; I read it with interest.

I have some questions about the TF08: since there is no technical information on your website about this microphone, I would like to know what the level of self noise is, the frequency response and, very important, what the shape of the pickup pattern is. I am always on the lookout for wide cardioids in the Schoeps Mk21 vein, but there is very little on the market. I'm not sure that tightening up the pattern does appeal to me, unless it is only the unification of the pattern at all frequencies. But a wide pickup pattern without off-axis coloration is what I am ideally looking for.

Currently I'm also using Microtech Gefell MG950's, a pair of Brauner Valvet X (with the old double mebrane capsule) and a pair of the old quality Violet Amethyst Vintage for the task of a wide(ish) pickup pattern, but you have my attention if you say the TF08 could fit that role as well.
Old 30th April 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Marik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Thank you for the clarification. Also thank you for the paper; I read it with interest.

I have some questions about the TF08: since there is no technical information on your website about this microphone, I would like to know what the level of self noise is, the frequency response and, very important, what the shape of the pickup pattern is. I am always on the lookout for wide cardioids in the Schoeps Mk21 vein, but there is very little on the market. I'm not sure that tightening up the pattern does appeal to me, unless it is only the unification of the pattern at all frequencies. But a wide pickup pattern without off-axis coloration is what I am ideally looking for.

Currently I'm also using Microtech Gefell MG950's, a pair of Brauner Valvet X (with the old double mebrane capsule) and a pair of the old quality Violet Amethyst Vintage for the task of a wide(ish) pickup pattern, but you have my attention if you say the TF08 could fit that role as well.
We actually were going to send the mic to the independent facility we always use, but their system got hacked and they are fixing it, so the specs should be ready pretty soon.

The capsule has high output and very good signal to noise ratio. In fact, I designed it to work without DC/DC converter, so there are no any sonic artifacts and distortions there. Also, we use very low noise jFet, so overall the mic has very good noise performance.

As for the frequency response it is usually measured on axis, so very often it does not give entire picture and off axis response is even more important, as it responsible for coloration and phase integrity. One of the very good indications that the TF08 is excellent in that respect is all the users do notice that the mic takes EQ very well.

Indeed, the main purpose of that screen was unification of the pattern across the range. If you are interested rather in a wide cardioid then just let me know and we can make it, no problem.

Best, M
Old 1st May 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik View Post
We actually were going to send the mic to the independent facility we always use, but their system got hacked and they are fixing it, so the specs should be ready pretty soon.

The capsule has high output and very good signal to noise ratio. In fact, I designed it to work without DC/DC converter, so there are no any sonic artifacts and distortions there. Also, we use very low noise jFet, so overall the mic has very good noise performance.

As for the frequency response it is usually measured on axis, so very often it does not give entire picture and off axis response is even more important, as it responsible for coloration and phase integrity. One of the very good indications that the TF08 is excellent in that respect is all the users do notice that the mic takes EQ very well.

Indeed, the main purpose of that screen was unification of the pattern across the range. If you are interested rather in a wide cardioid then just let me know and we can make it, no problem.

Best, M
I like to act cautiously when it comes to buying more microphones, so I will wait for your measurements and plots first. I have a large amount of different high end microphones already. Any new acquisitions should be a positive addition to the collection. But yes, when your claims translate in good figures and a stellar (off-axis) sound I'm probably very interested in a pair of wide cardioids of your microphone type. Normal cardioids are the least used pickup pattern by me. I use omnis, wide cardioids, fig eight's, boundary layer mics and hypercardioids, but no cardioids. Hardly ever use them. I have a whole pile of them and it was a waste of money.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
I've had a number of singers pick the TF08 as their favorite for lead vocal in a pop context, all citing it as being the clearest and most honest representation. It's performed well in all tests I've thrown at it, coming out at or near the top, not failing in any. I've had it up to compare against a number of LDC and SDC choices on a number of different acoustic instruments. It does seem to have less proximity effect than anything else I compared against, and as such can be used more closely if appropriate.
Old 6th May 2019
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
elpillo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
I've had a number of singers pick the TF08 as their favorite for lead vocal in a pop context, all citing it as being the clearest and most honest representation. It's performed well in all tests I've thrown at it, coming out at or near the top, not failing in any. I've had it up to compare against a number of LDC and SDC choices on a number of different acoustic instruments. It does seem to have less proximity effect than anything else I compared against, and as such can be used more closely if appropriate.
Thanks for sharing, Doug. What's your opinion so far regarding the noise of the mic?
Old 7th May 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpillo View Post
Thanks for sharing, Doug. What's your opinion so far regarding the noise of the mic?

Hmmm, I haven't done anything that was particularly quiet or revealing such as would bring attention to the noise floor. I've not noticed the noise floor.
Old 7th May 2019
  #20
Gear Maniac
 
elpillo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Hmmm, I haven't done anything that was particularly quiet or revealing such as would bring attention to the noise floor. I've not noticed the noise floor.
Good to know. Thank you!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
The full album ready Recorded on Schoeps and Samar (violins)

Old 4 weeks ago
  #22
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
The full album ready Recorded on Schoeps and Samar (violins)

Congratulations on the lovely sounds and images!

Earlier in this thread there was quite some interest in the Samar/Omni8 TF01 microphone:

http://omni8audio.com/TF08.html

Has anyone now received specs for this mic - frequency response, polar, self noise etc? It looks an interesting prospect.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump