The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

Why in the world do all portable handheld recorders STILL use AA batteries!?!? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbassguy View Post
I mean, I get that to a certain extent. But I don't think many basic users of units like these are spending much time in the remote hills of distant underdeveloped countries. I think the vast majority are recording band practices, interviews, song ideas, live shows, and other basic content that needs a quick and easy solution.
you're assuming that all the "basic" users live in the US and Europe...plus these units are built to a price and battery packs add more to the cost of the units.

Quote:
And second, even when you are in a remote location, how does one charge laptops, tablets, phones, cameras, or anything else you need for general field work? I was just in Morocco last September doing a camel trek through the northern tip of the Sahara. At all of the camps we stopped at to sleep, there were a few outlets available by way of generators so that people could do their thing. Shockingly, though, the Berbers we met were fresh out of Duracell packs.
You were on a tourist trip and you pay for the service, the people who backpack into remote areas may not have this luxury.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

The new F6 from Zoom runs with Sony L Series Lithium accus, AA or USB-C. It's not clear if it runs an entire day with just the Sony or a combination with the AAs and if it is measured with or without delivering phantom power for mics.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
you're assuming that all the "basic" users live in the US and Europe...
I mean, I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that in general, that is the case. I'm sure there's plenty of users in Africa/Asia/etc too, but I also think it's a safe assumption that people not in the US or EU have access to power outlets. If they don't, I'm willing to bet they have more pressing issues than the charging options on their handheld field recording units.

As for the Sound Devices 633 - very nice unit. Also about 20 times the price of the units I'm talking about, has no mics and waaaay too many inputs for what I need. I'm talking about a rechargeable option for Zoom and Tascam handheld-style units with integrated mics.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search