The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Protecting Boundary mics on stage Boundary Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Protecting Boundary mics on stage

For those that use these mics, how do you keep them from getting stepped on, or... if they are stepped on, how do you protect them?

--Ben
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I suppose you are asking about the Schoeps BLM3, as you said somewhere you have several of them? BLM3 can be stepped upon without problems, as long as it happens with flat shoes and not by elephants. I always stick black/yellow striped warning tape on the floor in a square around them, in hopes that it will be noticed. When my estimation is that someone with high heels might step on the capsules I place a small square food umbrella over the BLM3. These are sonically transparent, but look like you should not step on them. Of course in all cases I inform the people who will be on stage about the presence of the microphones and that they are not allowed to step on them (or on the cables), beforehand.
Attached Thumbnails
Protecting Boundary mics on stage-food-umbrella.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm actually not talking about the Schoeps mic. I have several boundary mics from Audio Technica to Sanken. These mics tend to get used in places where I either can't get big stands on stage or am not allowed to have stands on stage. The A-T mics are actually pretty good choir mics when I'm doing live sound. I currently tape them down and will put bright tape around them, but I'd like something for the oblivious person walking and not paying attention. Even if the mic won't technically be badly damaged, I also don't want the sound of that going through a recording or PA system if the mic happens to be open while people are walking. I have a situation, actually, next week when I have a marching band that will be marching around a couple of these mics for a broadcast. I'd like something that looks decent, but will also protect it as well.

--Ben
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Maybe fold a cage of strong perforated metal sheet then?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
For those that use these mics, how do you keep them from getting stepped on, or... if they are stepped on, how do you protect them?

--Ben
To do this properly, you need to turn turtle.....
Insanely expensive, but cheaper than a new Schoeps if damaged during recording
Should give you ideas for DIY alternatives, if you have a friendly metal-working shop nearby....

Maier Sound Turtle |
The Turtle – Sound-Link ProAudio
Turtle boundary microphone adaptor
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Are these DPA boundary layer mounts designed for something like your application? DPA Microphones Boundary Layer Mount (Black) BLM6000-B B&H Photo

Is the band not supposed to walk over your cables and mics or will they actually be passing over your cables and mics? Trip hazard?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Is the band not supposed to walk over your cables and mics or will they actually be passing over your cables and mics? Trip hazard?
Reminds me of an old Bob Dylan song: " ....people don’t do what they believe in, they just do what’s most convenient, then they repent"

After you've wrecked my floor-mic, an apology doesn't help much....(but then, why did I put it down there, expecting it to come up smiling, anyway ?)
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
I suppose you are asking about the Schoeps BLM3, as you said somewhere you have several of them? BLM3 can be stepped upon without problems, as long as it happens with flat shoes and not by elephants. I always stick black/yellow striped warning tape on the floor in a square around them, in hopes that it will be noticed. When my estimation is that someone with high heels might step on the capsules I place a small square food umbrella over the BLM3. These are sonically transparent, but look like you should not step on them. Of course in all cases I inform the people who will be on stage about the presence of the microphones and that they are not allowed to step on them (or on the cables), beforehand.
I have done a lot of opera recording and no opera company that I know of would let me use anything that would detract from the opera and the "cake cages" would certainly fit that description. The same with yellow and black tape around the mics. The set designer would "hit the roof" if I even proposed that solution. You guys must work with a lot of different people than I do.

My solution would be to tape down the PZMs with black (or stage floor matching color) gaffers tape. Tape the cords to the front of the stage and let the cast know where they are and "hope for the best".

I use to do a lot of G&S and there was one actor who would consistently kick the mics off the stage when we were using the EV "mice" so we gave him a big green furry foot with his name on it along with the words "Carl BIGFOOT B". He said over and over again he was sorry but almost every show he kicked off at least on of the mics and one show he succeeded in kicking off all of them. They were all gaffer taped down with a strip across the middle of the mic. When we went to Shure PZMs we did not have anymore problems. FWIW
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Reminds me of an old Bob Dylan song: " ....people don’t do what they believe in, they just do what’s most convenient, then they repent"

After you've wrecked my floor-mic, an apology doesn't help much....(but then, why did I put it down there, expecting it to come up smiling, anyway ?)
How you record a herd of elephants with floor boundary mics?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Briefly?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
With the HPF engaged! (Heavy Pachyderm Filter)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
With the HPF engaged! (Heavy Pachyderm Filter)
I would strenuously recommend against that:

Elephant stomps are all about low end!!!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search