The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
NAB 2019: New Zoom F6
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by panatrope View Post
Two - while the patent describes a particular embodiment of that technique, I have encountered situations where the holder of the patent claims overarching control of that general configuration (sometimes incorrectly in my view). The patent system is not perfect and can sometimes be mis-used to inhibit innovation, not just reward the originator of the idea.
Which all begs the question...which is the chicken and which the golden egg (ie which came first with the idea: SD or Zoom ?)

You might think of patents as watertight and absolute declarations/certifications of intellectual property ownership....?

In the current age they are anything but that (current accusation rumblings of the US against China aside...)...and instead they are far more likely to become bargaining chips in semi-amicable out of court cash settlements, and/or sources of lucrative licensing revenue streams....not the declarations of "I'll see you in court" of olde.

The upshot being that we could very well see both Zoom and SD systems co-existing in the recording eco-sphere, with nary an angry shot fired by either side.

Just sayin' that behind-the-scenes horse-trading is a very likely scenario, and those wanting to see a good old fashioned patents court tussle being sorely disappointed...

Last edited by studer58; 2 weeks ago at 02:20 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
You might think of patents as watertight and absolute declarations/certifications of intellectual property ownership....?
Me? Never!! Second question - in which country?

And to expand my first observation - if it took SD three years from patent grant to product release, what was the holdup? Probably available technology and cost, and additional development to refine the embodiment? And waiting for the right time for product to have maximum impact?

But to return to the subject of the thread, and assuming it is what Zoom have claimed, is the possible six months delay a necessary or sufficient time to resolve these issues? And just how long does it take to make mechanical design change, verify it, incorporate it in production and get it out the door? Japanese companies pride themselves in the tools that they have to industrialise a product in a very short time. They know the problem, they must know the solution. Perhaps they had produced a massive inventory and have made the decision to recall to the factory and laboriously modify every previously produced unit, and re-ship it. Not a choice I would like to have to make.

Zoom having trailed their F6 coat widely, and now suddenly demurred - it must be something fairly substantial. Perhaps they think that the F8n is doing so nicely, they can survive on it a few more months before finally releasing F6 in the wild. Who'd want to be in manufacturing?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Time will which of the 2 companies (if either) have a smooth and long term market take-up.....or whether there will be further recalls, firmware fixes etc before it becomes reliably functional in the field long term ?

It's also quite conceivable there are 2 distinct approaches to 32 bit FP recording, and that there's no patent infringement of the other by either Zoom or SD ? I await the Behringer version with detached interest....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search