The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Piano stereo recording comparison, guess it which is which
Old 1 week ago
Piano stereo recording comparison, guess it which is which

I think this is fun. The first one answer it right will win!
There are 8 microphones setup. If you can tell which clip is which setting, the first one got the right answer will win a pair of B9audio microphones.

Uncompressed audio file can be download here:
190404_PF_guess.wav - Google Drive
Old 1 week ago
This is the answer video. Ready to be online at 16:00 Apr. 22, 2019. (Mid night west coast Apr. 21)
Old 1 week ago
Same recording, different clip. All microphone setup is shown. You can take this as a reference to make a better guess.

In case you want the uncompressed audio file, here is the one:
190404_PF_Stereo_Debussy.wav - Google Drive

Last edited by 9sbean; 1 week ago at 03:23 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Any one want to guess? PM me your answer, I will keep it between us, and certainly will congratulate you if you are the winner.
Any comments? Any other fun comparison you would like to join? Let me know.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
Any one want to guess? PM me your answer, I will keep it between us, and certainly will congratulate you if you are the winner.
Any comments? Any other fun comparison you would like to join? Let me know.
Hi, downloading the file now .. checked out your website .. very nice looking microphones - the Scheops Coating looks very nice .. !!!

the piano recording sounds very nice as well ... !!!

and the Orch / Choir - beautiful !!!

looking forward to giving this a listen !!!

cheers john

UPDATE: Well, your website download is so slow it was going to take 15 hours to download .. when you get it running faster let us know .. cheers

Last edited by jwh1192; 1 week ago at 05:12 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
...UPDATE: Well, your website download is so slow it was going to take 15 hours to download .. when you get it running faster let us know .. cheers
FWIW, I was able to download the wav file from the Google drive link in less than a minute...

I think it is a fun listening test but, alas, I don't think my hearing is reliable enough to win the prize. Thanks for posting 9sbean. I sure hope it will be one of us GS who wins the prize and not one of those shady types over at TS!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Hi, downloading the file now .. checked out your website .. very nice looking microphones - the Scheops Coating looks very nice .. !!!

the piano recording sounds very nice as well ... !!!

and the Orch / Choir - beautiful !!!

looking forward to giving this a listen !!!

cheers john

UPDATE: Well, your website download is so slow it was going to take 15 hours to download .. when you get it running faster let us know .. cheers
Hi John: What file are you downloading? Google drive shall be very fast.

Last edited by 9sbean; 1 week ago at 03:16 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hi John: What file are you downloading? Google drive shall be very fast.
Hi, what file .. your file Silly !! the one in your first post !!

download is running at 327kb / that half a Gig will take all day - and i tried to let it go, it timed out ... way too slow .. i have a smoking fast setup here .. i will try again later ..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi, what file .. your file Silly !! the one in your first post !!

download is running at 327kb / that half a Gig will take all day - and i tried to let it go, it timed out ... way too slow .. i have a smoking fast setup here .. i will try again later ..
This is where the Google Drive link in the first post takes you: 190404_PF_guess.wav - Google Drive
It took about 45 seconds to download at 5.5 MB/sec on my very ordinary internet connection.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
This is where the Google Drive link in the first post takes you: 190404_PF_guess.wav - Google Drive
It took about 45 seconds to download at 5.5 MB/sec on my very ordinary internet connection.
something is up .. i can download other things as well ... hmm .. and it is slowing down ..under 1mb now .. time for dinner and a beer .. wil investigate later .. thx for the Help !!
Old 1 week ago
Weird, google service shall be top notch. Any other cloud service suggest?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
something is up .. i can download other things as well ... hmm .. and it is slowing down ..under 1mb now .. time for dinner and a beer .. wil investigate later .. thx for the Help !!
Hi John: Try this, upload the same file to Adobe cloud.
Adobe Creative Cloud
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hi John: Try this, upload the same file to Adobe cloud.
Adobe Creative Cloud
you are too kind to help ... showing 2 hours ...i am going to look on my end as this makes no sense ... thx again for your help
Old 3 days ago
Not too many people answer the video. The first one answer it right will win this gorgeous B9audio stereo microphone! The FSM, flexible stereo microphone can be re-configured by changing the capsule and support for other stereo method.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not too many people answer the video. The first one answer it right will win this gorgeous B9audio stereo microphone! The FSM, flexible stereo microphone can be re-configured by changing the capsule and support for other stereo method...
wow, what an offer!

the thing is though that i'm never using a mic setup or position that is just even somewhere close so i cannot comment...
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

whew ... finally got it downloaded ... the Adobe Link played ball today and about 10 minutes of a download .. ok, now i can take a listen !!!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
[/IMG]
first listen .. what are the Clicking Sounds on the left side .. sometimes one click sometimes two .. ????? it is a bit distracting to try and chose a mic Pattern when this happens at the beginning of or somewhere in the beginning of the Clip .. hmm .. txh for any help in knowing what this was ..

cheers john
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
first listen .. what are the Clicking Sounds on the left side .. sometimes one click sometimes two .. ????? it is a bit distracting to try and chose a mic Pattern when this happens at the beginning of or somewhere in the beginning of the Clip .. hmm .. txh for any help in knowing what this was ..

cheers john
Give me the time position, let me check the audio file.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
wow, what an offer!

the thing is though that i'm never using a mic setup or position that is just even somewhere close so i cannot comment...
It is a challenge. But there're also apparent differences you can tell.
I like this fun game. If I am not the one did this, I cannot guess them right for sure.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Give me the time position, let me check the audio file.
here are pics and a Blown up view of the Area .. just before the First Section of each Mic Pairing .. and in the middle between the two sections ..

here are a couple pics:

for Clarity - these Sounds are NOT in the Piano Recordings - BUT InBetween ... and these sounds are ambient i think .. maybe the movement of the Piano Seat as the player adjusts just before starting OR something else in the room .. i will edit them out so i can listen without this weird thing that sends my Brain to "SQUIRREL" !! hah .. surprised no one else has brough this up .. to me it is distracting right at the Time your Brain is Ramping down out of the last Mic Set !!

i am running out of timeto listen and put my guesses in .. i better get ready to Lock the Doors, trun off the phone and tell the kids to go to the Park, like normal kids and get the Old Lady to her Bridge Match and get on this !!

cheers john

PS - the one that is labelled Location 2 is the 2nd Section sound
Attached Thumbnails
Piano stereo recording comparison, guess it which is which-screen-shot-2019-04-17-9.40.46-am.jpg   Piano stereo recording comparison, guess it which is which-screen-shot-2019-04-17-9.39.56-am.jpg   Piano stereo recording comparison, guess it which is which-screen-shot-2019-04-17-9.39.46-am.jpg   Piano stereo recording comparison, guess it which is which-screen-shot-2019-04-17-9.39.23-am.jpg  
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
here are pics and a Blown up view of the Area .. just before the First Section of each Mic Pairing .. and in the middle between the two sections ..

here are a couple pics:

for Clarity - these Sounds are NOT in the Piano Recordings - BUT InBetween ... and these sounds are ambient i think .. maybe the movement of the Piano Seat as the player adjusts just before starting OR something else in the room .. i will edit them out so i can listen without this weird thing that sends my Brain to "SQUIRREL" !! hah .. surprised no one else has brough this up .. to me it is distracting right at the Time your Brain is Ramping down out of the last Mic Set !!

i am running out of timeto listen and put my guesses in .. i better get ready to Lock the Doors, trun off the phone and tell the kids to go to the Park, like normal kids and get the Old Lady to her Bridge Match and get on this !!

cheers john

PS - the one that is labelled Location 2 is the 2nd Section sound
Now I know what it is. Must be the lousy piano chair...
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Now I know what it is. Must be the lousy piano chair...
ah .. the culprit .. i have to get to my listening test .. i will just edit those out (no worries) and get on with it ..
Old 5 hours ago
54 hours to go. Not received correct answer until now. Still a chance to be the winner.
Old 1 hour ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
54 hours to go. Not received correct answer until now. Still a chance to be the winner.
I'm looking forward to the big reveal - I want to see how close my guesses were (or how far.) Should be interesting, and maybe even educational!
Old 1 hour ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeowulf17 View Post
I'm looking forward to the big reveal - I want to see how close my guesses were (or how far.) Should be interesting, and maybe even educational!
Why not send your answer to me via PM? You might be the winner.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search