The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: ,

Any thoughts on the Solid State Logic SiX Desktop Mixer
Old 7th April 2019
  #1
Any thoughts on the Solid State Logic SiX Desktop Mixer

Any thoughts on this as a high quality stereo on location recording mixer?

SiX | Solid State Logic
Old 7th April 2019
  #2
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Seems quite happening to me. I cannot wait to test it out. Seems like it's at the right price point too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Any thoughts on this as a high quality stereo on location recording mixer?

SiX | Solid State Logic
Old 7th April 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
I have this unit and am listening to it. It offers a very good sound. Despite my bashing it for being made in China, it is very well built and well thought out.

In a pure sense, it is a minimalist mixer with two stereo line ins, and two mic preamplifiers. However, it has a useful number of aux. sends and inserts.

So for the OP, it could mix 6 inputs quite well. One would use 4 channels of outboard preamps, say with 2 ambience mics, and a stereo spot mic. Then the main mics on the two mic preamps on the SeX (sic). Stereo line ins are not pannable, so choose a real stereo input for those channels.

Faders are somewhat light weight but will not move when you breathe on them.

Mixer has excellent headroom and a neutral tone. NON SSL bright.

I will continue the evaluation.

I might keep it to sum recorded channels for a cd-ref mix.
Old 7th April 2019
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I have this unit and am listening to it. It offers a very good sound. Despite my bashing it for being made in China, it is very well built and well thought out.

In a pure sense, it is a minimalist mixer with two stereo line ins, and two mic preamplifiers. However, it has a useful number of aux. sends and inserts.

So for the OP, it could mix 6 inputs quite well. One would use 4 channels of outboard preamps, say with 2 ambience mics, and a stereo spot mic. Then the main mics on the two mic preamps on the SeX (sic). Stereo line ins are not pannable, so choose a real stereo input for those channels.

Faders are somewhat light weight but will not move when you breathe on them.

Mixer has excellent headroom and a neutral tone. NON SSL bright.

I will continue the evaluation.

I might keep it to sum recorded channels for a cd-ref mix.

cool to hear your review. have you tried the pres on their own? or would you certainly use outboard pres?

i'm picturing using it for remote acoustic recordings, but the pres are my biggest question. i really like my neve 5024 (5012) in comparison, and i don't drive them hard or use the silk much. i've thought about just getting a 5012 to bring with my converters, but the six has a lot to offer (at that price too).

cheers
Old 8th April 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
The mic pres on the SeX (sic) sound very good. My comments above concern using outboard mic amps for the (2) stereo line ins on the mixer.
Old 8th April 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
In-depth review here: Solid State Logic SiX |
Old 8th April 2019
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
The mic pres on the SeX (sic) sound very good. My comments above concern using outboard mic amps for the (2) stereo line ins on the mixer.
ah yes, i thought about that after i reread your review. thx for the comfirmation.
sounds like its worth it for me to check one out.
Old 9th April 2019
  #8
It's certainly a reasonable price for two good preamps and some decent signal routing capabilities. The channel EQ is light (looks like fixed bands to me) as is the compression.

But I was listening to the comparisons Lynn Fuston posted on Sweetwater, and it certainly sounds as good as the rack mounted preamps and bus compressor it competes with.
Old 9th April 2019
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
It's certainly a reasonable price for two good preamps and some decent signal routing capabilities. The channel EQ is light (looks like fixed bands to me) as is the compression.

But I was listening to the comparisons Lynn Fuston posted on Sweetwater, and it certainly sounds as good as the rack mounted preamps and bus compressor it competes with.

i thought the gcomp sounded best in the 24bit samples for the drums and mix samples. a little more forward and detailed than the six. i could really hear it in the snares and reverb tails. i couldn't tell much difference between the pres tho, maybe a little more highs in the vhd, but pretty subtle.

i'm listening on some nice hp's.
Old 22nd April 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
I tested it and returned it to the dealer.
Old 22nd April 2019
  #11
Deleted 063dc0d
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I tested it and returned it to the dealer.
Why?

Mine has been back in the box for over a week. Think I might return it, too.
Old 22nd April 2019
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I tested it and returned it to the dealer.
What did you like or not like? You can't leave everyone (including me) hanging <GRIN>
Old 22nd April 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
The main thing for me is that I need a mini-mixer with more mic inputs. Also the minimalist config. on this mixer turned out to be not what I was looking for.

Unit seemed well built and sounded good. Chinese build out would justify a lower price point as well.

I never buy on price, but I DO buy on whether or not it is Chinese.

I will pay 10 times more for a unit not made in China.
Old 22nd April 2019
  #14
Deleted 063dc0d
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
The main thing for me is that I need a mini-mixer with more mic inputs. Also the minimalist config. on this mixer turned out to be not what I was looking for.

Unit seemed well built and sounded good. Chinese build out would justify a lower price point as well.

I never buy on price, but I DO buy on whether or not it is Chinese.

I will pay 10 times more for a unit not made in China.
I hear ya. But you wouldn’t pay $15,000 for this if it were built in Oxford would you?

I’d pay up to $2500 for this if it were built in England.

I pay the extra for built in Maryland, USA. It’s totally worth it. When I have an issue, I drop it in the mail and have it repaired (usually for free) and then pay for return shipping.

I wonder where I would mail this board if I needed a repair? Xiamen?
Old 22nd April 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
 

Somehow funny. In the long thread about the SiX the guy from SSL wrote that they've planned this unit since years or so but couldn't built it in Britain for a price < 2.000,-. And I guess they wouldn't have sold enough units at that price point. SSL was bought by another corporation and they decided to built it in China. I don't have a problem with units made in China and I'm pretty sure SSL will service their units independant from where they are made.
But I kind of get the sentiment. I wouldn't like it if Neumann would start to build mics in China.

https://sonicscoop.com/2017/12/20/ss...rs-audiotonix/
Old 22nd April 2019
  #16
Deleted 063dc0d
Guest
I own a SiX. It’s a cool board.

I just don’t know if I really need it with my current setup.

I have many plugin bus compressors and EQs. I would rather use CAPI and Forssell mic preamps.

With RME Totalmix, I’m not sure I need the routing features.

I’m on the fence. I put it back in the box for now.
Old 17th July 2019
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
did i mention that it looks ugly?
I agree with you about this. Exposed cable sockets, cramped controls. But I can see it being a very useful thing and popular product being used for many different purposes because of the high complexity, high quality and low cost. And probably something you could own for 5 years and only lose £300 when you sell it.

I also personally wouldn't choose to boycott the manufacturing of an entire nation just because I disagree with the practices of a small minority of isolated incidents.
Old 17th July 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
So would I in most cases, but if substitute products don't exist, as is the case here, then thats not possible. Plush gave his answer and I disagree because I don't think SSL are to blame for other people's misconduct.
maybe unique but i still can't see why this particular combination of features could be attractive (as the desk imo is more defined by the lack of features than what it offers): if working analog (at all), i much rather use a few fully featured channel strips, albeit at higher costs, bigger size and more weight, but maybe that's just me... - good luck with the desk and 'keep on rocking in the free world'!
Old 18th July 2019
  #19
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Exclamation

Please stop the political discussions. This is NOT the place or time for this sort of thing.

Furthermore, when I get a moment, I plan to edit, delete and remove anything that has nothing to do with this mixer.

If I find good content along with political content, instead of deleting the entire post, I may just edit out the stuff that doesn't belong here. If applicable, I will note that it has been edited.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #20
Best small mixer that I have used. Sounds great. It's routing is really configurable. The compression sounds great, as well as the EQ. I stuck a pair of Warm Pultecs on the Main Bus Insert, and wow! That being said, I still track through an LA-610 for flutes and vocals. I'm thinking of adding another one dedicated to summing so I am not constantly pulling cables to do a bounce.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump