The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rode : Wireless Go
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear
Rode : Wireless Go

This looks compact...if it performs well it could change the landscape of low budget wireless quite a bit: RODE Microphones - Wireless GO

YouTube
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
This looks compact...if it performs well it could change the landscape of low budget wireless quite a bit: RODE Microphones - Wireless GO

YouTube
i want two !!!! or 4 maybe !! they did put an 8 system limit to one area !! so no giant wireless systems with multiple antennas ... but i love this .. i need two around for emergency recordings .. 199.00 a system is crazy cool cheap
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
i want two !!!! or 4 maybe !! they did put an 8 system limit to one area !! so no giant wireless systems with multiple antennas ... but i love this .. i need two around for emergency recordings .. 199.00 a system is crazy cool cheap
Rode releases new product...world goes nuts....
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Rode releases new product...world goes nuts....

i had twelve cups of coffe ... HELP !!!!
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
i had twelve cups of coffe ... HELP !!!!
Was that before or after you read the announcement by Rode ?
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

2.4GHz is getting a bit crowded these days. And the latency usually associated with that band won't make it great for real theatre productions.
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

Oh, yeah, and in other news: the new TFM-50, NT-49, NT-RV, and version 2 of the NT5 mics that they promised us over 2 years ago now are still no where to be seen.
Old 5th April 2019
Battery life is way too low for a full production day. And no locking connector is a big risk to put on talent!
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
Battery life is way too low for a full production day. And no locking connector is a big risk to put on talent!
This looks like the sort of device aimed at domestic/hobbyist/semi or less-pro market, where those are acceptable trade-offs for low price ?
Old 5th April 2019
Oh for sure, they'll sell tonnes of these to youtubers/hobbyists/students
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

Two Sennheiser SK100s, with a SKP100 plug-on transmitter (for use with dynamic handhelds) in reserve, are worth every "extra" dollar I paid if the gig depends on reliable RF mic'ing into a camera. Only thing missing is a SKP500 G4 for the MKH8060. If I was doing more video, I'd have one in a heartbeat. Same tuning ranges as the EW series... and they sound great. Not quite Lectrosonic great... but they'll do.

Nothing against Rode... they're riding the market. But there's a lot not to love about 2.4GHz and reliable audio transmission/reception.

One old guy's opinion.

HB
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

might mis-use a few to feed into an analyzer when mixing live...
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
might mis-use a few to feed into an analyzer when mixing live...
They’re probably filled with all kinds of companding and compression software, which would make them less than useless for measurement purposes.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

i do not intend using them for serious measuring tasks (the b&k does much better) yet i hope that attaching some of the devices to the vocalists mic stands could get me an idea on how their wedge sound is 'polluted' when mixing auxes from foh without the need for patching live mic's signals into the measuring circuit...
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
i do not intend using them for serious measuring tasks (the b&k does much better) yet i hope that attaching some of the devices to the vocalists mic stands could get me an idea on how their wedge sound is 'polluted' when mixing auxes from foh without the need for patching live mic's signals into the measuring circuit...
thats some good thinkin' ..

i would like to have them in my bag for Justin Case !!! need another mic but no more cables, or you do not have any long enough cables .. but best yet is .. Live Show, you have a Mic Crap out, no more good pairs in the Snake (road gig not your gear - ha) .. you could send the Tech onstage and just plug one of these in !!!

just a Throw down Wireless anything !!!

i wonder if you can turn them around and make IFB's / in-ears out of them ?? MOno of course

just an all around good thing for your Kit ..

curious how they Scan for open areas within 2.4ghz .. and how they play well with others in tha range, as was mentioned above it can get pretty crowded ..

i deal with it all the time on Location Gigs, when live music is being recorded .. the PA mixers have 2.4ghz for their Tuning Programs ... i ran into this for the 1st time working on a DVD recording for RUSH !! and have now seen them all the time ...

cheers john only two cups of Coffe, less excited .. haha
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
...the PA mixers have 2.4ghz for their Tuning Programs ... i ran into this for the 1st time working on a DVD recording for RUSH !! and have now seen them all the time ...
guess i'm rather 'old chool': if there is something to get remotely controlled, i'll run a cable (or try packing data on a madi stream). i do get upset if this connection gets interrupted but i'm not much surprised if anything wireless goes wrong!

looks like a funny toy though - let's see how it performs under real world conditions (crowded venues/large events with lots of rf traffic)...

not yet exited, not even after two coffees :-)
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
guess i'm rather 'old chool': if there is something to get remotely controlled, i'll run a cable (or try packing data on a madi stream). i do get upset if this connection gets interrupted but i'm not much surprised if anything wireless goes wrong!

looks like a funny toy though - let's see how it performs under real world conditions (crowded venues/large events with lots of rf traffic)...

not yet exited, not even after two coffees :-)
haha ... the ones i have seen were used in Large Arenas / Venues to align the System Delays and such i beleive !! no cables is easier for the Tour .. and they are ONLY used during Soundcheck so they do not interfere during Show .. but can be a Speacial Time testing and not knowing what you will get during show .. good times ..
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

i'm fine using a wifi remote control in smaller venues/on smaller shows but for large scale events, i'm going a different strategy:

i'm not using wifi for any important tasks!

i much rather stick transmitters on my measurement mics (one often cannot always walk large venues anyway) and i'll survive any show if one of several measurement mics would go down (never happend so far plus i don't care if someone could be listening to these), but i'd be scared if i'd loose control of the system processors (or if control could get hijacked...)!
Old 7th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
i'm fine using a wifi remote control in smaller venues/on smaller shows but for large scale events, i'm going a different strategy:

i'm not using wifi for any important tasks!

i much rather stick transmitters on my measurement mics (one often cannot always walk large venues anyway) and i'll survive any show if one of several measurement mics would go down (never happend so far plus i don't care if someone could be listening to these), but i'd be scared if i'd loose control of the system processors (or if control could get hijacked...)!
fully agreed, thats why the guys only used the 2.4ghz for Soundcheck, Saved Settings, and then removed the System !!! very smart !!!
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear
Curtis Judd did a comprehensive comparison with the equivalent Sennheiser offering.....apparently the Rode has good RF rejection, but not such good range capability, at least outdoors, 6ms latency: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNfXmB_blwI&t=917s

Last edited by studer58; 7th May 2019 at 09:59 AM..
Old 5th August 2019
Here for the gear

I recently found the RODE Wireless GO and it looked amazing and seemed to fit my needs for a compact wireless system with USB mixer to record all wireless microphones separate. After some research it has problems with obstacles. Here is what I have found.

First video I found. and shows RODE Wireless GO has a big problem here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRHllXwVjzo

At 6.08 when he looks back for a short time the Rode is clipping. 20 meters? Cuts out at 7.10 when turning around. 7.22 turns around and loss of signal. 10 meters? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cm5ToawhiM

At 18 yards/16 meters RODE clips. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64YwjfK3hpY

XSW-D works better then RODE Wireless GO. Line of sight is about the same in specifications but Sennheiser XSW-D better with some obstacles. Is there any comparisons of these two kits?

Found a test of Sennheiser XSW-D and it seems better then RODE Wireless GO. The difference is that RODE test it was against chest and in this it was in the hand. First cut out at around 30 meters? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJQgV8FSV2Y

Sennheiser AVX vs XSW-D. XSW-D cuts first time at 40 meters then later comments in video about 30 meters. AVX works over 100 meters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYPk8DsIEl8
Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear

I use sometimes the Rode Newsshooter kit, especially to spot vocal solists.
Works very well with Line audio CM-3/CM-4 for example.
Super stealth if you set the TX on the base of the microphone stand, and no cable anymore on the front of the stage.

In a church, a concert room, with the RX in the same room never had one problem.
Only thing si to separate the TX at least one meter. I once tried a stereo spot with 2 TX on the same stand and it was not ok.

Fred.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search