The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Devices Scorpio, 36 tracks recorder Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 2 weeks ago
Sound Devices Scorpio, 36 tracks recorder

Scorpio >> Sound Devices
Prefer XLR 5 instead of TA5.
16 pres are good.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Yes quite impressive, not sure if the preamps are Kashmir or the "old, regular" early SD type ?

Here are some prices (from Gotham Audio) and FAQ's to occupy you while you wait for delivery....
Scorpio FAQ >> Sound Devices

Scorpio Recorder [Pre-Order Deposit] | Gotham Sound

An introductory video: YouTube
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

SD says they are a new pre just for this machine, and claim it is the quietest they've ever made. Their FAQ, in answering about whether various CL- accessories will work with Scorpion (no), said that that the machine is an entirely new architecture. Interestingly esp for movie soundies, the internal routing is now "anything to anything @ any level". Word clock (gone since 664) is back, you can connect two of them together as one device, it has Dante i/o, it has an internal drive (not avail on any 6XX machine), it can talk to 3rd party USB controllers and does the SL-type control of certain wireless receivers. L mount onboard battery charging is back (not avail since 7xx). No Dugan yet...but soon they say. I think they did a lot of listening to users for this thing.
Old 2 weeks ago
My capital budget budget planning just went POOF!

With the MixPre line completely built-out, I'd been hoping Sound Devices would turn their attention back to professional users, as indeed they have. Amazing product, eye-watering price. Totally worth it, I'm sure. (Hmm, what can I not buy in the next year to make this possible?)
Old 2 weeks ago
What does the antenna connection do?
In the near-future the antenna will be used to connect the Scorpio via Bluetooth to SD-Remote, the companion application for Android and iOS.
———————————-
Ohhhh.... an antenna for Bluetooth! One of the big downsides of Bluetooth is that it is designed for quite short range. I wonder if this will make the Bluetooth range good enough to remotely monitor and control the Scorpio from a chase car if the recorder has been dropped in the boot.
Old 2 weeks ago
AB3
Lives for gear

It appears that 6 inputs are on full XLR. That is fairly reasonable.
I wonder how it will compare with the competition?
Are they now closing in on the Nagra - Sonosax audio quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
Scorpio >> Sound Devices
Prefer XLR 5 instead of TA5.
16 pres are good.
Old 2 weeks ago
I do want this so badly! However with that price $$$, I don't think it is on the cards for me this year.

The only thing which strikes me as very strange that I don't like (aside from the price! ha) is why so few AES inputs?? Odd for a recorder of this class in 2019
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
I do want this so badly! However with that price $$$, I don't think it is on the cards for me this year.

The only thing which strikes me as very strange that I don't like (aside from the price! ha) is why so few AES inputs?? Odd for a recorder of this class in 2019
Cool your heels O Ferric One...you well know that Zoom will follow with a F16 (or F32 or 36 or whatever it's going to be...) a year or two down the track, at 1/6 the price of the SD. Have channels, will use....
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Cool your heels O Ferric One...you well know that Zoom will follow with a F16 (or F32 or 36 or whatever it's going to be...) a year or two down the track, at 1/6 the price of the SD. Have channels, will use....
Ah it is about much more than just the channel count as to why I want the Scorpio! Is packed with cool new features (and keeps old features from the 688 that I still want as well)
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
It appears that 6 inputs are on full XLR. That is fairly reasonable.
I wonder how it will compare with the competition?
Are they now closing in on the Nagra - Sonosax audio quality?
Nagra could be out of the picture for the moment. Sonosax is very ambitious. Could there be a SX-R16+ coming? Or combining their SX-E84 with SX-R4+...

I still prefer XLR5, as this is standard stereo microphone connection. Also standard line out to Arri camera. Simple and easy connection.
The TA connectors are too small to squeeze in even 2 low profile balanced cables. XLR5 is much reasonable than TA5. Cantar already use XLR5 for stereo mic input and line in/out for years. Don't understand why Sound Devices put TA5 instead of XLR5.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This looks like a fantastic recorder. I guess this is what we're getting, rather than an updated Mark 2 version of a 788T. This seems a whole lot better.

Tom
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy View Post
This looks like a fantastic recorder. I guess this is what we're getting, rather than an updated Mark 2 version of a 788T. This seems a whole lot better.

Tom
I'll be happy to pick up a 788 from someone that's trading up if anyone is so inclined.
Old 2 weeks ago
Wondering what the secondary market is like for my 744T, now that MixPre's are so cheap. What kind of user would value the differences?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post
Wondering what the secondary market is like for my 744T, now that MixPre's are so cheap. What kind of user would value the differences?
It is not just MixPres the 744T is competing against, but the Zoom F4/F8/F8n are very good as well. If you check out the past sales history on eBay you can see a 744T is only successfully selling for a few hundreds
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
It is not just MixPres the 744T is competing against, but the Zoom F4/F8/F8n are very good as well. If you check out the past sales history on eBay you can see a 744T is only successfully selling for a few hundreds
Que ? I know the "Buy it Now" price doesn't equate to what it will eventually sell for...however...

Sound Devices 744T Digital Multi Track Recorder 859108005321 | eBay
Sound Devices 744T Digital Multi Track Recorder-USED 859108005321 | eBay
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Based on the last six completed sales on Ebay (admittedly not a great indicator) the average used price of a 744T is about US$ 1200.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I sadly moved on from my Nagra VI and EMP, and almost went with Sonosax. Instead I bought more studio gear since my location work these days is usually in the same rooms with nice gear already on hand. By the time my budget is built back up I hope there is a little brother for the Scorpio, with half the channel counts but everything else the same. I sure miss the Nagra gear, but nothing is forever.
Old 1 week ago
I've used 788, 722, MixPre6, 552, PIX-270i, Aaton Cantar X2, Tascam HS-P82, Zoom F8, Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2, Roland R44...
There's something I like, and something I don't like.
1. Analog output. I like the one with all direct out from all input so that a backup recorder can support with lowest risk.
2. If not individual analog out, digital out is acceptable, if it stay operating in case of recorder crash.
3. Input sockets, I like XLR3, XLR5, and even XLR7 or 10 (not exist at the moment). I don't like TA3 or TA5.
4. Power input. I like double power sources, DC or AC. DC is better. At least 10-17VDC, wider is better. Auto backup switching. XLR4 or Hiroshi. I don't understand why Scorpio use a TA4, which doesn't seems to be used by any other recorders.
5. Output socket. XLR5 for stereo is best. 2 XLR3 is OK. TA3 is bad.
6. Size... bag size is certainly good, but not necessary for me.
7. Weight, 2kg is a limit for bag based. 4kg is max for me.
8. Operation switches. Aaton/Nagra rotation dial is best for recording arming and recording. Buttons with keyboard locking is acceptable.
9. PC/iPad/Smart Phone connectivity. Certainly good. Bluetooth is OK, WiFi is better... USB is standard now.
Hope someday I can have the ideal one.
Connect 16 microphones into a small box.... I don't know how Sound Devices is looking at this. The cables will be a nightmare.
Old 1 week ago
AB3
Lives for gear

If the Scorpio really is superior in audio quality, one would think that Sound Devices will make a less expensive unit with less channels. And maybe they will take some advice and make it with full size XLRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
I sadly moved on from my Nagra VI and EMP, and almost went with Sonosax. Instead I bought more studio gear since my location work these days is usually in the same rooms with nice gear already on hand. By the time my budget is built back up I hope there is a little brother for the Scorpio, with half the channel counts but everything else the same. I sure miss the Nagra gear, but nothing is forever.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Can you overdub with this machine...? If yes, I'm ready to take a serious look, otherwise I'm staying with my mobile PT rig and 32 input interface.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

If it’s a Sound Device Pre, it’s for sound effects and dialog only - not suitable for acoustical music. Nagra is never out of the picture if sou d quality is the first goal.
Old 1 week ago
AB3
Lives for gear

Sorry - how do you know this? This is a pre that is not even released yet and it is claimed to be different than any of their pres to date.

Did you get a pre-release version?

I wish people would be more careful about what they post. Companies spend thousands to produce pro gear - and frankly, it is generally not a great business to be in. The least these companies deserve, is a fair "airing" of their product.

And I am not associated with sound devices in any manner, nor do I currently own any of their products.

The Nagra may be better for acoustic music, but no one can say that until they have this particular sound devices product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaBzg View Post
If it’s a Sound Device Pre, it’s for sound effects and dialog only - not suitable for acoustical music. Nagra is never out of the picture if sou d quality is the first goal.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wish people would be more careful about what they post.
Some people have no idea what they are talking about and just like to see their name in the blinky lights on the computer screen.

-Mike
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sorry - how do you know this? This is a pre that is not even released yet and it is claimed to be different than any of their pres to date.

Did you get a pre-release version?

I wish people would be more careful about what they post. Companies spend thousands to produce pro gear - and frankly, it is generally not a great business to be in. The least these companies deserve, is a fair "airing" of their product.

And I am not associated with sound devices in any manner, nor do I currently own any of their products.

The Nagra may be better for acoustic music, but no one can say that until they have this particular sound devices product.
Because Sound Devices obsession with quietnesss is like Apple’s obsession with thinness. Their microphone preamps have never been good for acoustical recording except a solo instrument. In their promotion of this device, they again talk about quietness. Which is hilarious because these are location recorders where quietness is offset by the fact it is not in a studio space where quietness is noticed.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
Some people have no idea what they are talking about and just like to see their name in the blinky lights on the computer screen.

-Mike
Like you.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've used 788, 722, MixPre6, 552, PIX-270i, Aaton Cantar X2, Tascam HS-P82, Zoom F8, Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2, Roland R44...
There's something I like, and something I don't like.
1. Analog output. I like the one with all direct out from all input so that a backup recorder can support with lowest risk.
2. If not individual analog out, digital out is acceptable, if it stay operating in case of recorder crash.
3. Input sockets, I like XLR3, XLR5, and even XLR7 or 10 (not exist at the moment). I don't like TA3 or TA5.
4. Power input. I like double power sources, DC or AC. DC is better. At least 10-17VDC, wider is better. Auto backup switching. XLR4 or Hiroshi. I don't understand why Scorpio use a TA4, which doesn't seems to be used by any other recorders.
5. Output socket. XLR5 for stereo is best. 2 XLR3 is OK. TA3 is bad.
6. Size... bag size is certainly good, but not necessary for me.
7. Weight, 2kg is a limit for bag based. 4kg is max for me.
8. Operation switches. Aaton/Nagra rotation dial is best for recording arming and recording. Buttons with keyboard locking is acceptable.
9. PC/iPad/Smart Phone connectivity. Certainly good. Bluetooth is OK, WiFi is better... USB is standard now.
Hope someday I can have the ideal one.
Connect 16 microphones into a small box.... I don't know how Sound Devices is looking at this. The cables will be a nightmare.
You might want to read through this. Some things incl. the new connector for power are covered there.

"Why did you choose to use the TA4 for power instead of the 4-pin Hirose on other SD products?

The Scorpio has a ton of functionality, include 16 full-featured (and full-powered) mic preamps. These, along with full 48 V per channel as well as two battery chargers means the Scorpio can draw a significant amount of peak current (the battery chargers can draw over 3 A alone). The 4-pin Hirose connectors are rated for 2 A per pin, which is not enough. Thus we went to the TA4 connector, which is good for 5 A per pin. Additionally, the TA4 delineates the connector on the Scorpio as a Smart Battery connector."

Consider the size and weight of 24 XLR sockets on the machine. You want 2kg but then also full size XLR AND an AC PSU built in as well? There are certain laws of physics that even SD can not stop.

BTW: the machine 2.6kg. The Cantar weighs almost 4kg. Pretty amazing for what is packed into the scorpio don't you think?

Direct outs for a backup machine is pointless. If the machine goes down there won't be any signal going to your backup machine either? And: What would be your backup for up to 36 tracks of recording? Another scorpio? hm...

And this isn't in response to you: It is indeed truly weird that a machine isn't even released yet and there are already "experts" here who know the preamps are crap and the machine as a whole is worthless. Classic "Gearslutz-facts" Pavlov reaction.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
You might want to read through this. Some things incl. the new connector for power are covered there.

"Why did you choose to use the TA4 for power instead of the 4-pin Hirose on other SD products?

The Scorpio has a ton of functionality, include 16 full-featured (and full-powered) mic preamps. These, along with full 48 V per channel as well as two battery chargers means the Scorpio can draw a significant amount of peak current (the battery chargers can draw over 3 A alone). The 4-pin Hirose connectors are rated for 2 A per pin, which is not enough. Thus we went to the TA4 connector, which is good for 5 A per pin. Additionally, the TA4 delineates the connector on the Scorpio as a Smart Battery connector."

Consider the size and weight of 24 XLR sockets on the machine. You want 2kg but then also full size XLR AND an AC PSU built in as well? There are certain laws of physics that even SD can not stop.

BTW: the machine 2.6kg. The Cantar weighs almost 4kg. Pretty amazing for what is packed into the scorpio don't you think?

Direct outs for a backup machine is pointless. If the machine goes down there won't be any signal going to your backup machine either? And: What would be your backup for up to 36 tracks of recording? Another scorpio? hm...

And this isn't in response to you: It is indeed truly weird that a machine isn't even released yet and there are already "experts" here who know the preamps are crap and the machine as a whole is worthless. Classic "Gearslutz-facts" Pavlov reaction.
Thanks, got your point. There’re some mis-understanding:
1. Not 24 XLR3, but a combination of XLR3, 5, and 10. XLR 5 for stereo microphone, and XLR10 for 4 channel VR mic. No breakout cable needed to reduce weight.
2. Backup may not be necessary for film production, as you always got a chance to re-take. Live performance can not be re-take. Crash is crash, no recovery.
Scorpio is really an expected product long after 788, l like a lot of the features, but...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

with this many i/o's, i'd prefer to have just a few on xlr3 and xlr5 but the rest imo could easily be on d-sub25; not much love for the mini-xlr here...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

D-Sub would have been my preferred choice too...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, got your point. There’re some mis-understanding:
1. Not 24 XLR3, but a combination of XLR3, 5, and 10. XLR 5 for stereo microphone, and XLR10 for 4 channel VR mic. No breakout cable needed to reduce weight.
2. Backup may not be necessary for film production, as you always got a chance to re-take. Live performance can not be re-take. Crash is crash, no recovery.
Scorpio is really an expected product long after 788, l like a lot of the features, but...
So in what way would a backup recorder hooked up to the direct outs of the main machine be a backup? Main machine goes south, your backup is doomed as well. You need a split before going into the recorder for a real backup.

Thing is: There are a myriad different setups and combos how people use these machines. One guy says: Hey I need everything on XLR but this exact combo if XLR3, 5 and 10 and a sub-d. The next one: I need everything on TA3 because I don't want to rewire my setup coming from an 788. The next: Get rid of all the analogue ins! I only need Dante.

One group complains: Why doesn't it cost 499$, the next: why so big and heavy, the next: why no XLR connectors I don't care about size or weight and then there's the special breed that goes: Can it be 499$ with XLR, sub-D, Dante, rotary controls, AC and DC input the size and weight of a pack of cigarettes and the batteries have to live a week? Oh it has to sound like a Nagra and feel super-solid and build like a tank too.

The Cantar had stuff on SUB-D and people complained: why do I have to wire a flimsy sub-D cable just get to the AES I/O with a stereo feed?

So it's tricky to do that as a MFG.

;-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search