The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Devices Scorpio, 36 tracks recorder Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaBzg View Post
If it’s a Sound Device Pre, it’s for sound effects and dialog only - not suitable for acoustical music. Nagra is never out of the picture if sou d quality is the first goal.
How many SD units do you own? How many have you actually even used? Why would anyone make such a statement with so little to back it up?

You sound like someone who goes online, reads some blogs and parrots back what someone, somewhere, with suspect experience tells you is true.

Take some time before you post here to filter your, perhaps suspect, opinions to the world. You just end up sounding like a hack.

And for the rest of you all looking for some experience, I have made many hundreds of fine classical recordings using the preamps on my (respected by many) 788T. "Dialog only"? Crap!

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If it’s a Sound Device Pre, it’s for sound effects and dialog only - not suitable for acoustical music. Nagra is never out of the picture if sou d quality is the first goal.
This is really an uninformed statement. Your posts are on deep discount here.

-Tom
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Nagra is never out of the picture if sou d quality is the first goal.
You missed the full statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
Nagra could be out of the picture for the moment.
I did not see Nagra's ambitious recently. After Nagra VI, there's no multi-track recorder product came out. And more than this, years ago when I browse Nagra website, it seems the pro audio department was going to be independent and a new brand name could replace Nagra. It did not happen. But I can feel Nagra's energy in hi-end audio, not in this market. Maybe Nagra felt the business is not worth it?

At about the same period, Sonosax released SX-R4+, AD8+..... Sound Devices did 664, 688, MixPre3/6/10, and finally Scorpio. Zaxcom did Maxx, Nomad..., Aaton released Cantar X3, not to mention low price Zoom, and Tascam.... (By the way, Tascam seems also gave up higher price market after HS-P82).

Quote:
If it’s a Sound Device Pre, it’s for sound effects and dialog only - not suitable for acoustical music.
I did a lot of acoustical music, and play a little bit at the sound effects. You should try sound effect as well. You'll find extreme low noise is much more challenge than acoustic music. Music means the musician must play the instrument for the audiences to hear. When you record a [quiet] night with no insect buzzing, no bird calling.... you need to hear the extreme ambience, not noise.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

And so it goes when folks desire to drive a Rolls Royce that seats 24, and want it at the size and cost of a Mini-Cooper. Then, reality sets in...

HB
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Just to confirm, you can use Scorpio as a 32-in, 32-out audio interface using Audinate's free Dante Virtual Soundcard.

Paul
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy View Post

-Tom
I have no problem with the statement by Helena. She listened to the smaller SD devices and wasn't satisfied with their sound. That can happen, even when many others have no complaint.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G View Post
I have no problem with the statement by Helena. She listened to the smaller SD devices and wasn't satisfied with their sound. That can happen, even when many others have no complaint.
No, she listened to the smaller devices and wasn’t happy with their sound, and then assumed that all of their products along several different product lines, with at least 6 different preamp designs, including a new design that no one has actually heard yet, would all sound the same.

That’s just foolish and irresponsible.

-Mike
Old 6 days ago
AB3
Lives for gear

Well said. This thread is about a new product that no one on this thread has heard and sound devices has indicated that it is a new preamp, both smoother and quieter - what does that mean? Who the heck knows until one tries it!

quote: "even smoother sound with the lowest noise of any preamp in Sound Devices 20-year history."

So, I will be curious to hear what this really sounds like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
No, she listened to the smaller devices and wasn’t happy with their sound, and then assumed that all of their products along several different product lines, with at least 6 different preamp designs, including a new design that no one has actually heard yet, would all sound the same.

That’s just foolish and irresponsible.

-Mike
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
quote: "even smoother sound with the lowest noise of any preamp in Sound Devices 20-year history."
And I say: “Bring on the 2-track”!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljisaacs View Post
Just to confirm, you can use Scorpio as a 32-in, 32-out audio interface using Audinate's free Dante Virtual Soundcard.

Paul
Does it allow overdubs? I’m seriously looking for a machine like this that does overdubs for certain specific recording projects so I don’t have to carry a computer, an interface etc.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Does it allow overdubs? I’m seriously looking for a machine like this that does overdubs for certain specific recording projects so I don’t have to carry a computer, an interface etc.
I doubt it. If you study the SD range, you'll find that the recorders which originally allowed overdubbing are those MixPre units designated with the suffix M (for Musician)...eg the 3M, 6M and 10M For example: MixPre-10M >> Sound Devices

That is, unless they're about to break with their own naming tradition for the Scorpio (or if it's to morph into a series of its own during the coming year ?)

The exception could occur if they allow the Musician featureset to transfer over to the Scorpio, as they did for the 10T, and the 'non-M' MixPre's :

"Need music features ? Buy the Musician Plugin from the Sound Devices online store to add in-unit music recording to your MixPre-10T. The Musician Plugin adds built-in features and effects like overdub, reverb, and vocal air. Create Music Projects to lay down backing tracks and use them live or at home for writing or practicing. Capturing your song ideas has never been easier"
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I doubt it. If you study the SD range, you'll find that the recorders which originally allowed overdubbing are those MixPre units designated with the suffix M (for Musician)...eg the 3M, 6M and 10M For example: MixPre-10M >> Sound Devices

That is, unless they're about to break with their own naming tradition for the Scorpio (or if it's to morph into a series of its own during the coming year ?)

The exception could occur if they allow the Musician featureset to transfer over to the Scorpio, as they did for the 10T, and the 'non-M' MixPre's :

"Need music features ? Buy the Musician Plugin from the Sound Devices online store to add in-unit music recording to your MixPre-10T. The Musician Plugin adds built-in features and effects like overdub, reverb, and vocal air. Create Music Projects to lay down backing tracks and use them live or at home for writing or practicing. Capturing your song ideas has never been easier"
I do not want a Mixpre recorder for various reasons, and I’m asking about this machine because it was said in a video interview that you can arm record tracks on the fly. I’m just looking for a simple yes or no answer from someone who actually know instead of guesses.
Old 5 days ago
AB3
Lives for gear

Here is the contact information website for Sound Devices.
Best of luck.
Contact >> Sound Devices

Quote:
I do not want a Mixpre recorder for various reasons, and I’m asking about this machine because it was said in a video interview that you can arm record tracks on the fly. I’m just looking for a simple yes or no answer from someone who actually know instead of guesses.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here is the contact information website for Sound Devices.
Best of luck.
Contact >> Sound Devices
The person I posed the question to is the same person talking about the unit all over Youtube.
Old 5 days ago
AB3
Lives for gear

If you want to know for sure, contact Sound Devices. You said you want to know for sure. That is the best way. Good luck.

Quote:
The person I posed the question to is the same person talking about the unit all over Youtube.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you want to know for sure, contact Sound Devices. You said you want to know for sure. That is the best way. Good luck.
The person I posed the question to works for SD and is the same person explaining the features and operation of unit in several Youtube videos.
Old 5 days ago
AB3
Lives for gear

When you get the answer, please share.

Quote:
The person I posed the question to works for SD and is the same person explaining the features and operation of unit in several Youtube videos.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

The question about adding overdub capability was answered a week or so ago at JWSound: see post 48 by Paul Isaacs of SD at scorpio! - Page 2 - Equipment - JWSOUNDGROUP . In short, non commital.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 View Post
The question about adding overdub capability was answered a week or so ago at JWSound: see post 48 by Paul Isaacs of SD at scorpio! - Page 2 - Equipment - JWSOUNDGROUP . In short, non commital.

Cheers,

Roland
Also somewhat elaborated upon there in post #90 by Paul Isaacs...in short, some aspects of the Scorpio are still works in progress and thus open to speculation, including by Paul himself ! Integration with the control surface seems to be another of these grey areas. SD have a policy of announcing when a feature is publicly available...and not before (which doesn't mean they are deaf to requests and discussion occurring on forums like these !)

Those wanting an official SD response would be best sdvised to PM Paul Isaacs himself.....while the rest carry on the fine tradition of speculation which precedes any significant product release
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
SD have a policy of announcing when a feature is publicly available...and not before
Well sort of: SD announce when certain, not when actually available. E.g. the most significant software change of the Mixpre-series - the addition of the Musician plug-in, which allows overdubs etc. - was announced in March 2018 before becoming available in June.

Incidentally, I've found the Mixpre-series overdubbing extremely useful for outside recordings made in Playing for Change style.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I understand and agree with the policy of not talking about options that are not on line, a simple we don't know however would satisfy the legitimate question from potential customers, just as was done with some other questions.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
How many SD units do you own? How many have you actually even used? Why would anyone make such a statement with so little to back it up?

You sound like someone who goes online, reads some blogs and parrots back what someone, somewhere, with suspect experience tells you is true.

Take some time before you post here to filter your, perhaps suspect, opinions to the world. You just end up sounding like a hack.

And for the rest of you all looking for some experience, I have made many hundreds of fine classical recordings using the preamps on my (respected by many) 788T. "Dialog only"? Crap!

D.
Shows your ignorance. I have been doing this since 1992, and I’ve used all of them. It is clear your describing you.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy View Post

-Tom
Anybody who thinks Sound Devices pres are quality for acoustic music has poor ears and I do not respect.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Thanks for that opinion. It is not widely held btw. There are big diffs between the various SD preamps, at least among the ones I own and have used. Some of them have produced excellent (and commercially published) recordings for me and many others. Maybe check out SD's new pre for yourself, in some manner that makes your prejudice against SD not a factor?
I always try them. They are getting quieter and worse. Prejudice is formed based upon facts.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anybody who thinks Sound Devices pres are quality for acoustic music has poor ears and I do not respect.
i got no problem if you don't like some gear but pls stop making hilarious claims: gear is agnostic of genre, glorious music has been recorded on sd gear (and possibly with schoeps mics...) by engineers who may have even better hearing than you and who are very well respected not only by our little community but by a large audience - what doesn't work for you seems to work very well for others!

so please get off this/any thread dealing with sound devices (and schoeps) gear if you think it performs so poor or you risk being ridiculed/ignored by various gz members...
Old 2 days ago
Will do another fun blind listening test in the future...
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Shows your ignorance. I have been doing this since 1992, and I’ve used all of them. It is clear your describing you.
...and yet you are asking how the 664 sounds. 4 weeks ago. assume you have tried it in the meantime and all the others too? 633, 688, MixPres

Pretty impressive. I guess they are not for you then.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Helena,

You have cast your opinions widely and repeated in this forum. We all know your opinion on Schoeps mics and SD preamps; you accomplish nothing further by crusading against the use of these devices by others. You say you don't respect anybody who uses SD for acoustic music... The people who contribute positively to this forum do so in a spirit of mutual respect; by not respecting others, you disqualify yourself from the respect of the rest of us here. We don't have to agree on everything but we do have to respect that others are entitled to the opinions they have formed based on their experiences. Your disrespect of others here is what has placed your opinions on "deep discount".

Respectfully,
Jim Legere
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

"She's" a troll.

Click on the name, and click on "ignore".

Easy-peesy.

D.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
"She's" a troll.

Click on the name, and click on "ignore".

Easy-peesy.

D.
Amen to that.

-Mike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search