The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using super cardioid mics when you need some “distance”... Condenser Microphones
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Using super cardioid mics when you need some “distance”...

There are several instruments which do not like to be mic’ed closely, and benefit from using the mic at a greater distance such as 6-10 feet out, to allow the sound of the instrument to “jell” or bloom or just to reduce key clacking or breath noises.

It is hard in a studio setting to use a cardioid mic further than about 4 feet before getting too much bleed from other instruments, piano in particular. In these situations, do you regularly use a hyper or super cardioid mic so you can get 6 or more feet away from an instrument? If not, why not?

I am considering an Mkh 50 or cmc641 for such uses - do you have an opinion on which of those might be a better choice for flute, oboe, and other winds?

Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

No experience in studio or with CMC641 but lots of experience with MKH8050 with a wide variety of woodwinds and other acoustic instruments.
Very smooth on and off axis.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

schoeps mk41 is like a laser beam. I've never heard a supercardioid like it. It is ultra focused. placement is more critical with this mic than most supercardioids. and it sounds really really really excellent. If I want a little less reflected vs direct sound on the mkh80 or tlm107 I just tighten up the pattern and *often* can leave the placement alone, but if I really need to pull the mic back I grab the schoeps.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i've been using the mk41 for years on various occasions, including situations where i started out with a shotgun (for its function: off axis attenuation) but mostly opted for the hypercardiod mic (for its sound) in the end - cannot comment on the sennheiser though but prefer the mk41 over any multipattern mic in a hypercardioid setting...

p.s. the use of hypercardioids for me is not so much about distance but more about directivity and attenuation.

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 05:59 PM.. Reason: p.s. added
Old 2 weeks ago
The MK41 might be the most impressive Schoeps capsule I’ve used. It’s not as versatile as the MK5 or MK21 as a main pair, but it’s simply beautiful as a spot mic. I’ve used it for vocals, woodwind pairs in orchestra, violin, lute, cello, etc. Give it a little more distance than a cardioid and then sit back and enjoy.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The original design for the ORTF microphone technique specified that Schoeps hyper-cardioid (so-called super cardioid) capsules be used.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
The original design for the ORTF microphone technique specified that Schoeps hyper-cardioid (so-called super cardioid) capsules be used.
Interesting!
I'll have to give that a try - I've only ever done it with cardioids.

Thanks for the info.

Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

what plush mentioned - works really well in very reverberant spaces if some less ambient/a bit more direct sound is wanted/needed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Even XY is half tolerable with the 41s. Best hypercardioid out there imo.. Though I would rather spot record at 3-4 feet with omnis than at 7 feet with a hypercardioid/supercardioid
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Daniel - my use will largely be for micing solo flute in the studio. At 3 feet you get a lot of breath noise as well as key slaps, and most importantly, a more “harsh” kind of sound around 3-4k that mostly disappears as you move the mic out to 6-8 feet. Plus, hopefully, the hyper pattern will help reduce piano bleed for sonatas.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Does anyone want to advocate for the mkh50 over the cmc641 for flute/winds?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
I know it’s probably too cheap to be considered, but has anyone used the Sennheiser E-614?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
Nope.

For dialogue on a film/TV set my preference is the 50 over the mk41 all day long. But for music I love the Schoeps.

-Mike
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search