The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Live recording kicks ass!
Old 10th March 2004
Lives for gear

Live recording kicks ass!

I've got the gig of recording acoustic sessions of bands that are on tour in our area for the local FM station 'The Quay FM'.

Yesterday was my first one and jeez do they go quick.

The radio station production guy and DJ arrived an hour before the band to instruct me on how things were gonna run.

Basically, band in room, no headphones or monitoring, just mic everything, make it sound good and get it onto a CD. Okay....

The band turned up an hour later, they were called 'Easyworld' (some UK peeps may of heard of them) - I gave them a half a song run through, then I was ready to go.

We started disk running and recorded three interview segments interspersed with three songs all live over 30 minutes, no stops as the band were on a tight schedule.

The band were fantastic, main vocals was a male singer with guitar, two backing singers, one male - the drummer, one female - the bassist. Very tight harmonies, it was a joy to record.

For those interested I used:

Main vocalist - Rode NT 2
Guitar - AKG 414 BULS
Bvox 1 - AT 3035
Bvox 2 - AT 3035

All mics through the channel strips on our Soundtracs Topaz 24 desk, thru Apogee Rosetta 800 converter into Nuendo 1.6.1

Mics were a nice distance from each band member so I didn't need to compress and I just followed the main vocals with my finger on the fader. There was enough room sound to knit it all together without reverb on the final 'mix'.

I've posted one of the tracks below as a MP3 if you wanna check it out.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard...mp3s/Drive.mp3

So, the interview ended, the band said goodbye and went off to the venue for soundcheck, I dumped the whole thing to CD and it went straight off to the radio station.

Wow, there's turnaround. It was a buzz!

I bet live recording when it's as easy as this is fun but when it goes wrong, well, I'm not looking forward to that bit!

Got some good bands to look forward in the next coming months, obviously I will only reveal all once they've been in and on the radio.

Cheers,
Rich
Old 10th March 2004
Gear Maniac

Damn, that sounds great! Very refreshing to hear something with some heart and dynamics.

Great song, great musicianship, and great recording.

Thank you!
Old 11th March 2004
Lives for gear

My pleasure heh

Indeed, the dynamics are extremely refreshing.

Cheers,
Rich
Old 11th March 2004
Gear Guru

Sounds great Rich! Have fun with the series.
Old 11th March 2004
Lives for gear

Rich you lucky bastard
I wish I could be there and see your setup and listen to the band. It's really refreshing after all this Superstar and Mega Idol bull**** to hear handmade music with emotion.

Is this your studio we're hearing? Do you have a song with drums? I'd like to hear that.

Great gig man - thank you for sharing

Jo
Old 11th March 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by studjo
Rich you lucky bastard
I wish I could be there and see your setup and listen to the band. It's really refreshing after all this Superstar and Mega Idol bull**** to hear handmade music with emotion.

Is this your studio we're hearing? Do you have a song with drums? I'd like to hear that.

Great gig man - thank you for sharing

Jo
Thanks guys!

Jo,

Yup, that's my studio you're hearing. You can see our setup on the web site at the bottom of my posts. It's small but growing steadily.

Cheers,
Rich
Old 12th March 2004
Lives for gear

Sweet sound... nice work!
Old 12th March 2004
Here for the gear

Thumbs up

Rich,

Great Job! Liked the sound you got on those lead vocals really well - good mic choice.

-Scott
Old 15th March 2004
Gear Addict

Hey man, the stuff sounds great. Did you use any compression going to Nuendo, or within Nuendo?
Did you bounce to diske in Nuendo, or did you mix back to your Soundcraft console than going back to Nuendo. Can you give me some details? I've been working more with Nuendo recently, and was wondering if this mix was done internally. Thanks.

Old 15th March 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by eskay
Hey man, the stuff sounds great. Did you use any compression going to Nuendo, or within Nuendo?
Did you bounce to diske in Nuendo, or did you mix back to your Soundcraft console than going back to Nuendo. Can you give me some details? I've been working more with Nuendo recently, and was wondering if this mix was done internally. Thanks.

Hi eskay,

There was no compression used going into Nuendo though I did have Soft Limit enabled on the Rosetta 800.

The track was mixed in the box with Waves Ren. Compressor plugin on the main vox and guitar. I used the bog standard Nuendo Channel EQ on the main vox just to cut everything below 100Hz.

No other plugs were inserted on the seperate channels.

It was mixed down internally with the Apogee UVHR22 dither plugin inserted on the master Buss, I also put a Wave Parametric EQ on the stereo buss and cut everything 30Hz and below - there was a little rumble from the singers feet moving about.

Hope this has been helpful.

Cheers,
Rich

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search