The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Noise cancellation ring for HVAC in concert halls ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Noise cancellation ring for HVAC in concert halls ?

I checked the date...it's not April 1st yet ?

If this really works as YouTubed (below) it could have immediate uses for noise reduction in all kinds of applications.

Somehow I'm still sceptical, this is just an opening demonstration...right ?

I also want to jam one into the exhaust pipe of a Harley D....every Harley, actually.

Mathematically perfect rings could soundproof the world

YouTube :note that the measuring mics are in the pipe before the ring, not after it ...which is even more impressive !
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

10dB reduction, but very narrow band around 450Hz. You might need a few different ones strapped around the Harley!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Le Vien View Post
10dB reduction, but very narrow band around 450Hz. You might need a few different ones strapped around the Harley!
Yes it struck me as a novel idea, promising way too much...in a Popular Science sort of presentation. There certainly is no free lunch yet on offer for this early brainflash.....but maybe after more development it could have wider uses
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There's a discussion about that stuff here: New Acoustic Material for Reducing Sound
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Amazing? Not really. Organbuilders know this for a long time. Organbuilders make pipes that are open on top, or have little hats on, the Gedackt and pipes that have a smaller very short pipe mounted on the closed top. A 16 ft Gedackt, has an actual length of 8 ft closed with a hat, it always sounds much softer than a full length open pipe of the same tone.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
What they have failed to do, is file a patent or copyright....they could have cleaned up big time...?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
What they have failed to do, is file a patent or copyright....they could have cleaned up big time...?
IMO universities should not do such a thing: they are places where science needs to be served, not greed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
IMO universities should not do such a thing: they are places where science needs to be served, not greed.
I agree entirely, but in many places they are now run as businesses rather than institutions of higher learning...assembly lines to process students and turn a profit (at least in North America).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Establishment of intellectual property ownership isn't to be associated with greed, more like exploitation prevention...not all ideas operate in the realm of 'open source sharing'....as you'd probably concede with regard to wider propagation of your Earcatcher mic technique ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Establishment of intellectual property ownership isn't to be associated with greed, more like exploitation prevention...not all ideas operate in the realm of 'open source sharing'....as you'd probably concede with regard to wider propagation of your Earcatcher mic technique ?
If I were a scientist I would have written a paper about ECA. However, that does not mean I have tried to patent it in my commercial situation.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
If a new frictionless bearing is invented it can be mechanically dissected by anyone, studied and very likely copied. A patent involves description of the working principle and physical components to establish ownership of the idea and intellectual property.

In an ideal world that would carry legal disincentive to others to copy and profit from it without authorisation...but perhaps to seek and pay licensing rights to the inventor if they wish to manufacture it with approval. This process has been in place for centuries. You are calling it greed (if the invention occurs within the auspices of a university) ?

Your Earcatcher array presumably uses physical components (eg mics) available to all, so the intellectual property resides in the method, the implementation....rather than a discrete object like the bearing cited above. If you are confident enough in the inherent 'indecipherability' of the process, you probably have no imperative to create a patent for it. Or you could publish the process widely and make it open source to everyone....the less greedy route.

Is one approach any less greedy than the other ? If you perceive risk of exploitation of its commercial potential by others, that might drive you in the direction of secrecy (ie protection) Which is, in effect, the same as retaining a patent over it....in the sense that the operational principle is not transparently available to the wider public.

This might all be academic and moot, and easier just to conclude that 'Earcatcher is not a university'....and that clearly you do fear commercial exploitation of your method
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

studer58,

You know nothing of my motives not to make ECA public and it does not matter in the case of this thread. Universities are funded with public money and should by their very nature serve the public cause. They are not companies and should not behave like them, despite the poison of greed that has permeated some of them. They should be sources of inspiration for humanity. The noise cancellation ring is a good example of how it should be. Kudos to the University of Boston.

Last edited by Earcatcher; 1 week ago at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Off topic
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
That the invention of the noise-cancelling ring occurred in a university funded publicly does not by necessity make it automatically public property or exempt from copyright protection. An employee of an organisation can be forced to cede all rights to the inventions made in the course of their employment to the employing company, as occurred in the case of the blue LED in Japan (and somewhat rectified many years later)

Why your invention should remain 'copyright protected' while a university sourced one should be barred from the same, or become default open-sourced, because of the presence or absence of your idealistic 'charter' is tenuous. The eventual appearance of such a product on market shelves is evidence for the public good being served

Many pharmaceutical compounds are invented in universities and become open source or copyright protected depending upon the input of corporate funds...you could well make a stronger case for those being exempted, especially when required in poor 3rd world regions.
Old 1 week ago
Not all universities are publicly funded.
Not all programs within a university that receives public funds get any of that public funding.
While I agree with the principle that publicly-funded research should not generate private wealth, there's a lot of gray in that particular picture
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I pity your thinking. Too much corruption of noble principles to even start peeling off the misconceptions. My ego is not big enough to try to convince you of any of my views. Let's blame it on cultural differences, but I am out of this discussion.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search