The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rode Stereo VideoMic X with Sony PCM D100 Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Rode Stereo VideoMic X with Sony PCM D100

Wondering if anyone has tried this mic:

RODE Microphones - Stereo VideoMic X

into the Sony PCM D100 or PCM M10

--level adjustment
--high pass
--and 12 dBA noise level

Looking for a quiet mic for nature soundscapes in extremely quiet locations

Last edited by jayfield; 1 week ago at 03:15 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I haven't used it, but I'd say there are both pros and cons for it's purchase.

Pros would be a tight, small package with good function switches onboard, some of which might come in handy for your intended use. My guess it's dialogue oriented, rather than for nature sounds...so take that 12dBA noise figure with a grain of salt.

Cons: You'd need to provide mini-Xlr > regular XLR adapter cables, and it likely doesn't come with the mini-dead cat fluffy shown, just the foam ball-inside-plastic-honeycomb windsock ? Camera mounting foot, so you'd need a stand adapter.

Judging on looks I'd expect performance to be similar to Rode's XY NT-4 ...but also, perhaps no better or worse than the mics already onboard the Sony ?

For quiet outdoor nature sounds you're likely going to be working at the gain extremes of any mic preamp (and mic self-noise) ...and how that pans out in field conditions is very hard to predict on specs alone. If compactness and portability is what you seek (above specs alone), then it's hard to beat.

If noise floor is the big determinant (and outdoor conditions survival ability), then a big jump up in price to Sennheiser MKH range will get you that....not to mention many others in the middle ground will likely be satisfactory to excellent also.

Is being able to separate and space the mics individually a priority ? Try for YouTube/Vimeo samples online, but ultimately asking in various forums (and try/buy with return guarantee) is the best way to get more info. Sorry...I've probably muddied, rather than clarified the situation for you ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Not muddled at all Studer.
You make some great points.
I like the compactness of this Rode, however noise is a bigger concern.

The AT 8022 and BP4025 initially seemed most promising, however I heard a consensus they would not perform double duty as high end live music recorders.

I priced out a Mixpre3 with a pair of MKH 8020's and a Rycote spaced stereo bar, and the smallest wind protection (because there is no necessity for me to record in windy conditions).

This was the most compact, lowest noise system I could find.
Realistically, it was still too bulky to pack into the woods for a few days.

Then Sony announced the new PCM-D50 at Naam. I was hoping they had improved the noise floor on their previous offering, even though they seem to have the quietest handhelds out there. Apparently not according to some research I did.

Thanks Studer

Last edited by jayfield; 1 week ago at 05:08 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search