The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any samples of Sonosax? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Any samples of Sonosax?

I read here on Gearslutz that the mic pres and converters are superior to Nagra VI’s. Does anyone have any samples of acoustic recording done with the Sonosax?

Thank you.
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 

I wouldn't worry too much. Your Nagra VI's still very fine indeed.

Last edited by David Spearritt; 1 week ago at 04:10 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Gear Addict
 
whippoorwill's Avatar
I did some acoustic recording with the sonosax, I was very impressed. Never tried Nagra.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Nut
 

Check out @themiloc on Soundcloud. He has posted many nice recordings featuring the R4+ and the Schoeps MK2.

Here, for example, is one such recording:

Dionysios Lavragas (1860-1941) "Romaneska for Orchestra" (1924) by themiloc | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I picked up an R4+ and have only begun to run it through its paces. It replaced a Nagra Seven not because I found the Seven to have any sonic shortcomings, but because the R4+ has a number of features not found in the Nagra, including longer battery/better powering options and wifi access to the machine. Seriously, the 2504 Li-Ion battery type is easily half the weight and runs twice as long as the AA battery pack in the Seven.

Here's a short recording of a creek in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains in LA, which has been very active lately due to all the precipitation we've gotten. It was captured with the SX and a pair of Schoeps MK2 in AB40. I don't know if it will tell you anything about this machine might work for you, but have a listen if you like:

Lower Bend in the Arroyo Seco by Benjamin Bishop | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Sonically, I find that the Sonosax provides an open, transparent sound that captures whichever microphone you throw at it effortlessly. And if it has confirmed anything for me, it is that the Schoeps MK2 is the loveliest capsule I've ever had the pleasure of using.

Last edited by weltarm; 1 week ago at 01:33 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Gear Addict
 

that was an extreme creek capture hyper realistic
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Gear Addict
 

I remember Plush posting here that he was using the R4+ and describing himself as "mindblown." That's a good endorsement. ;-)

The only negative I've heard is several reports that Sonosax customer service is poor or nonexistent, but that's all secondhand.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltarm View Post
Check out @themiloc on Soundcloud. He has posted many nice recordings featuring the R4+ and the Schoeps MK2.

Here, for example, is one such recording:

Dionysios Lavragas (1860-1941) "Romaneska for Orchestra" (1924) by themiloc | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I picked up an R4+ and have only begun to run it through its paces. It replaced a Nagra Seven not because I found the Seven to have any sonic shortcomings, but because the R4+ has a number of features not found in the Nagra, including longer battery/better powering options and wifi access to the machine. Seriously, the 2504 Li-Ion battery type is easily half the weight and runs twice as long as the AA battery pack in the Seven.

Here's a short recording of a creek in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains in LA, which has been very active lately due to all the precipitation we've gotten. It was captured with the SX and a pair of Schoeps MK2 in AB40. I don't know if it will tell you anything about this machine might work for you, but have a listen if you like:

Lower Bend in the Arroyo Seco by Benjamin Bishop | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Sonically, I find that the Sonosax provides an open, transparent sound that captures whichever microphone you throw at it effortlessly. And if it has confirmed anything for me, it is that the Schoeps MK2 is the loveliest capsule I've ever had the pleasure of using.
Wondering if your creek capture was the us version ad or the ad8+ dbl ad sound?
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emenelton View Post
Wondering if your creek capture was the us version ad or the ad8+ dbl ad sound?

It's the EU version, full dynamic range.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltarm View Post
It's the EU version, full dynamic range.
It sounded like it

Thanks

Last edited by emenelton; 1 week ago at 05:17 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
I purchased the Sonosax recorder, SX-R4+ and its companion SX-AD8+ eight channel mic preamp / converter box because it offers 16 inputs and because of its superior sound. I found the mic preamps to be more neutral than on the Nagra VI.

But that does not mean that the Nagra is not excellent. These are different flavors of neutral.

Also I was dismayed that in a visit to the headquarters of Audio Technology Switzerland, I was informed that Nagra is now a hi-fi company. I want to deal with a first class super high quality music recording company ONLY.

And that is what Jacques Sax runs.

Customer service from Sonosax has been excellent with very good communication and expert assistance.

Yes, Sonosax clearly makes the best tape recorder in the world.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltarm View Post
Here's a short recording of a creek in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains in LA, which has been very active lately due to all the precipitation we've gotten. It was captured with the SX and a pair of Schoeps MK2 in AB40. I don't know if it will tell you anything about this machine might work for you, but have a listen if you like:

Lower Bend in the Arroyo Seco by Benjamin Bishop | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Lovely.

Is this just off the Gabrieleno Trail, lower down, above JPL?
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k View Post
Lovely.

Is this just off the Gabrieleno Trail, lower down, above JPL?
Thanks so much!

It's exactly that spot. I've been heading out there weekly, trying to record Baja California Tree frogs. I'm hoping the warmer weather this week will bring more out.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltarm View Post
Thanks so much!

It's exactly that spot. I've been heading out there weekly, trying to record Baja California Tree frogs. I'm hoping the warmer this week weather will bring more out.
Wonderful.

A close friend and I were there on a listening walk--with a little recording; just hand-held stuff--a few months ago, and were particularly smitten by the frogs. One night, standing near the bridge, it was an amazing chorus. This was about August I think.

The owls and poorwills at night are also wonderful there.

There are several species of frogs in the area, no?

We were in Death Valley last week and got to listen to some at Saratoga Springs. I believe they are the Pacific Tree Frog there, but I'm not expert with frogs.

Did you buy the Sonosax locally? I'm curious about the Euro spec. I know one of the people at Trew Audio has been raving about the sound of these as well, and reported that other clients are supremely happy with them.
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k View Post
Wonderful.

A close friend and I were there on a listening walk--with a little recording; just hand-held stuff--a few months ago, and were particularly smitten by the frogs. One night, standing near the bridge, it was an amazing chorus. This was about August I think.

The owls and poorwills at night are also wonderful there.

There are several species of frogs in the area, no?

We were in Death Valley last week and got to listen to some at Saratoga Springs. I believe they are the Pacific Tree Frog there, but I'm not expert with frogs.

Did you buy the Sonosax locally? I'm curious about the Euro spec. I know one of the people at Trew Audio has been raving about the sound of these as well, and reported that other clients are supremely happy with them.
I had to pick up the Sonosax from an EU dealer. I'm sure the US version is excellent, but I didn't want to spend that much money on a compromised machine. It's very good to hear that the compromise may be undone by a firmware update.

I believe there to be several species there, including both CA tree frogs. Further up in El Prietro Canyon the habitat looks to me to be suitable for the endangered Arroyo Toad -- a meandering, high order stream with a flood regime that creates smaller, slower moving water, proper sand banks for their aestivation, etc. But I'm no herp expert, and I believe that Toad is thought to be gone from the Arroyo Seco.
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltarm View Post
I had to pick up the Sonosax from an EU dealer. I'm sure the US version is excellent, but I didn't want to spend that much money on a compromised machine. It's very good to hear that the compromise may be undone by a firmware update.
So apparently the dynamic range is limited on the US version? I can't imagine why they'd spec one differently than the other.


Quote:
Originally Posted by weltarm View Post
I believe there to be several species there, including both CA tree frogs. Further up in El Prietro Canyon the habitat looks to me to be suitable for the endangered Arroyo Toad -- a meandering, high order stream with a flood regime that creates smaller, slower moving water, proper sand banks for their aestivation, etc. But I'm no herp expert, and I believe that Toad is thought to be gone from the Arroyo Seco.
Neat background; thanks!

We may be in that area this weekend, although more likely we'll be up in the snow, around Waterman or Islip.

Have you seen the California Red-legged frogs in Whitewater? Recently (re-)discovered, very rare. At the time I was there late last year, this was only the second frog reported.
Attached Thumbnails
Any samples of Sonosax?-30405801277_c5ddef597f_z.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Gear Addict
 
whippoorwill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k View Post
So apparently the dynamic range is limited on the US version? I can't imagine why they'd spec one differently than the other.
They got into a minor legal issue with Zaxcom, and Sonosax didn't want to get into it so they just restricted it with firmware in the US.
An easy fix.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
They got into a minor legal issue with Zaxcom, and Sonosax didn't want to get into it so they just restricted it with firmware in the US.
An easy fix.
Thanks.

I should have figured it was something like that.
Old 1 week ago
  #18
AB3
Lives for gear
 

Thanks Zaxcom for having the recordists at heart. NOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
They got into a minor legal issue with Zaxcom, and Sonosax didn't want to get into it so they just restricted it with firmware in the US.
An easy fix.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
sd270 / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
67
AB3 / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
36
etiefenthaler / Geekslutz forum
2
jpupo74 / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
7
Gie-Sound / So much gear, so little time
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump