The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , , ,

Decca Tree Time Delay
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Decca Tree Time Delay

Would there be any reason why I could put three mics in a row in front of an orchestra and delay the left and right to give me a delayed decca tree.

Can you delay left and right to give you the triangle effect of a decca tree?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Would there be any reason why you would?

Three omnis straight across the front is of course the old Mercury practice - see this thread: The Cozart/Mercury 3-mic technique

A significant part of the Decca tree model, which is a 5 mic system including outriggers, is the choice of what is on and off axis (enhanced by the use of especially HF-directional mics), and proximity to particular string groups. The time delays inherent in the triangular arrangement are only part of this.

If you don't want to rig a tree, why not just use a spaced pair (+ outriggers), as Decca engineers often did?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGaryFloyd View Post
Would there be any reason why I could put three mics in a row in front of an orchestra and delay the left and right to give me a delayed decca tree.

Can you delay left and right to give you the triangle effect of a decca tree?
The reason you might use 3 mics as outlined is to give a bit of centre fill to an otherwise extreme left/right recording...ie to fill the 'hole in the middle'. That's assuming you have the outer pair at say 1/3 and 2/3 of the stage width...so a widely spaced omni pair.

As ithinknot says, it's essentially the same as the old RCA Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence method of the 1950's and 60's.

They didn't have delay back then, and their recordings are still very listenable...a bit hard-sounding, due to HF behaviour of the mics used.

No point to delaying yours to simulate Decca-ness however...it won't work. You can't turn a straight line into a triangle, no matter how hard you try in post You're contemplating messing with the fabric of space/time....expect a stern telling off from Dr Who, for trying to impersonate a Time Lord !

It's the position of the central Decca branch, reaching a little forward from over the conductor's head, which gives that mic the first arrival information, plus some reach forward into the woodwinds.

No amount of post-delay is going to give you that...it's like the golden rule of real estate: location, location, location. Give the "curtain of 3" a tryout first, you might like it very much ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i'm doing a fair bit of work as system tech (calculate/design speaker setups, set them up, measure and adjust them) - what's true on the way out is also true on the way in: delay can newer (fully) compensate for physical placement! - but why not give it a try? do not expect to get comparable results to a 'real' decca setup though...

[i have however been delaying the outriggers of a very wide l/C/r mic system (with the middle mic being a soundfield and the l/r being used in a similar way to decca outriggers), used to cover very wide/large orchestras: it does affect the image a lot, mostly in a pleasant way imo - would like to mention that this setup gets used for surround mixes and that the outriggers were mostly mixed into the rear channels.]
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search