The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sennheiser V Schoeps?
Old 25th March 2019
  #61
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
There's something unnerving about looking at a mic which bears such an outward resemblance to a Schoeps mic...without their logo on the side ?

Nice timbre and overall sound to the mics...is there any treatment of the recorded signals (eg reverb, compression ) ?

What testing parameters would you measure and evaluate, if someone was to order a "matched pair" of these mics ?

Am I being pedantic in saying that I don't believe that to be a Blumlein arrangement (perhaps, as you say, more of a Blumlein style ?)

Shouldn't one be vertically above the other, so the wave arrival hits both mics with minimal distance between the capsules ....although the spacing differences between the diaphragms with the 2 clamping styles in millimetres is arguably not great ? Roger (Rolo46) uses a similar arrangement with his 2 x MKH30 MS pair (ie side by side)
No treatment, only cut and paste. Recorded to a Tascam HS-P82. I did not pick any matching pair, just 2 fig-8 from my capsules.
The side by side instead of top to bottom is for easizer to mount and smoother to cable run. Maybe I can mount them onto a double MS mount next time. It is similar to XY configuration, some use top to bottom, and some use side by side. At only 22mm center to center distance, I don't think there's any problem.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #62
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Latest CCM s have a new circuit heater to lessen humidity condensation...
Roger
Dear sir -
I so hoped this was correct and I wrote Schoeps just to make sure ( yes,regrets,Suspicious Minds playing in the bg...). But here's what I received back:


Bernhard Vollmer (Schoeps Mikrofone)
7. Mai, 08:32 CEST

Hello Peter

There is no heating element in the CCM microphones and there never was one. Any humidity problems are caused by condensation only, a pure physical effect caused by dirt inside the microphone and a change of temperature from cold to warm environment (example: air-conditioned hotel room to hot and humid jungle outside). So keeping the microphones clean and dry prevents humidity problems. Silica gel and dust protection (for example by some windshield) will always help. Older microphones may be cleaned here at SCHOEPS before they are used in heavy environment.

What these people in the forum probably are meaning is our ORTF-3D setup, an eight microphones combination for sport events ambience recording. These models are mounted in open air for contineous use and indeed have a heating element inside the windshield (still not inside the microphones).

Kind regards,
Bernhard Vollmer, Sales&Technical Support
+49 (0)721 9432021
SCHOEPS Mikrofone GmbH

Anyway - I've been in many locations from desert to jungle to deep deep caves with my Schoeps MS rig (ccm4/cccm8) and sometimes (CMIT/CCM8) and never a bit of spit or fuss. ALWAYS nicely protected however in a small stereo Rycote. Anyway I bought them before I'd even heard about humidity issues with the ccm8 and had I known I might have gone another way, that is if there was another way as small and lovely sounding ( ie the much hoped for Senn Godot 8 ) but there wasn't & still isn't that I know of. In trying to be inconspicuous ( the gear, certainly not me personally) size was often a very real concern as I traveled with the rig hidden in a shoulder bag, no doubt the easy equivalent of a years+ wages to my fellow bus/train/taxi passengers. But I should have both (Senn 30/8040 as well as my Schoeps) and hopefully one day I will.
I continue to learn something valuable every time i wander around here - my heartfelt thanks to you and all for that!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #63
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
the much hoped for Senn Godot 8
I snorted!

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #64
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
Dear sir -
I so hoped this was correct and I wrote Schoeps just to make sure ( yes,regrets,Suspicious Minds playing in the bg...). But here's what I received back:


Bernhard Vollmer (Schoeps Mikrofone)
7. Mai, 08:32 CEST

Hello Peter

There is no heating element in the CCM microphones and there never was one. Any humidity problems are caused by condensation only, a pure physical effect caused by dirt inside the microphone and a change of temperature from cold to warm environment (example: air-conditioned hotel room to hot and humid jungle outside). So keeping the microphones clean and dry prevents humidity problems. Silica gel and dust protection (for example by some windshield) will always help. Older microphones may be cleaned here at SCHOEPS before they are used in heavy environment.

What these people in the forum probably are meaning is our ORTF-3D setup, an eight microphones combination for sport events ambience recording. These models are mounted in open air for contineous use and indeed have a heating element inside the windshield (still not inside the microphones).

Kind regards,
Bernhard Vollmer, Sales&Technical Support
+49 (0)721 9432021
SCHOEPS Mikrofone GmbH

Anyway - I've been in many locations from desert to jungle to deep deep caves with my Schoeps MS rig (ccm4/cccm8) and sometimes (CMIT/CCM8) and never a bit of spit or fuss. ALWAYS nicely protected however in a small stereo Rycote. Anyway I bought them before I'd even heard about humidity issues with the ccm8 and had I known I might have gone another way, that is if there was another way as small and lovely sounding ( ie the much hoped for Senn Godot 8 ) but there wasn't & still isn't that I know of. In trying to be inconspicuous ( the gear, certainly not me personally) size was often a very real concern as I traveled with the rig hidden in a shoulder bag, no doubt the easy equivalent of a years+ wages to my fellow bus/train/taxi passengers. But I should have both (Senn 30/8040 as well as my Schoeps) and hopefully one day I will.
I continue to learn something valuable every time i wander around here - my heartfelt thanks to you and all for that!

My info came from a top microphone man in the UK where we are always concerned about damp and humid conditions.
Much work has been done in this area which was previously ignored by many microphone makers
As ever RF capsule technology is the answer to this common field recording problem
I never relied solely on Schoepes ,lovely as they may be aesthetically and aurally.
MKH were my mainstay, even they can fail in Brahmaputra Monsoon....
Roger
Old 2 weeks ago
  #65
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
I snorted!

D.


I *did* have a go at the new man at Sennheiser at IBC last year about the MKH 8030 and the non-existant Y-cable.

I will have another go at IBC this year to see what (if any) the progress is.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #66
Gear Addict
 

What is wrong with using MKH30? OK, it is a bit bigger than the 8040. Other than that, what else?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #67
Lives for gear
Nothing wrong with it. But if we had an 8030, you could build an MS array into something not much larger than a ball gag. And for field recordists, that would be a huge advantage. My Rycote Windshield for the MKH30/40 takes up a lot of space in a fairly large suitcase. An 8030 would reduce that bulk considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseetoo View Post
What is wrong with using MKH30? OK, it is a bit bigger than the 8040. Other than that, what else?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #68
Lives for gear
 
The Listener's Avatar
Since this is the most active MKH related thread I'll post my question here...

I read about the the correct alignment for MS, the MKH30 switches to the left, mics aligned with their backs for correct capsule alignment, but my pair with the accessories aligns like in the attached picture and the grilles seem to be aligned precisely that way... I guess this is correct, even though their back sides are not aligned as was suggested in some posts around here?

Did they change the length of mics maybe? The brand new MKH30 seems to be longer than the older MKH40... but I guess it has always been so...

btw - just got the mics yesterday and this is the definition of bliss...
Attached Thumbnails
Sennheiser V Schoeps?-20190530_081758.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
  #69
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
.. mics aligned with their backs for correct capsule alignment ...
No, its the shoulders that have to align. The shoulder being where the circular capsule cross section goes to flat cross section, as you have in your picture.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #70
Lives for gear
 
The Listener's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
No, its the shoulders that have to align. The shoulder being where the circular capsule cross section goes to flat cross section, as you have in your picture.
So in the way as in my pic is OK?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #71
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
So in the way as in my pic is OK?
Yes

You align the shoulders.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Rumi / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
53
gonzalo1004es / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
22
sonare / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
67
fifthcircle / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
22
JSheltonLogic / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
20

Forum Jump
Forum Jump