The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

Is Schoeps still king in 2019? Condenser Microphones
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
Another factor is the age... of the owner.
If you get older with your microphone, it is possible that you don't ear it changing, because both are getting older together and it is a slow process.

Looking at the threads about the new U67 vs old ones, it looks that it is difficult to know today how sounded a real U67 back in the golden years (without processing etc.). It also seems sometimes difficult to find 2 old U67 that sound the same.
Saying that a 45 year old microphone sounds the same as a new one sounds a bit strange to me. Maybe...
Yes, I'm certainly getting older - but mic's could be aged in terms of say dogs. (I year = 7 for a dog). That would make my oldest mics around three hundred years old ...

Also, and contradicting myself, I agree that we don't really know how a mic sounded 50 years ago, even if the new ones are made to be identical. But maybe the old engineers/producers had a different concept of sound in them days - and got that sound which I often think is better ... or maybe it was the beer, or water, or whatever ... I don't really drink alcohol anymore so it's not that with me, at least not these days.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher_lover View Post
Yes, I'm certainly getting older - but mic's could be aged in terms of say dogs. (I year = 7 for a dog). That would make my oldest mics around three hundred years old ...

Also, and contradicting myself, I agree that we don't really know how a mic sounded 50 years ago, even if the new ones are made to be identical. But maybe the old engineers/producers had a different concept of sound in them days - and got that sound which I often think is better ... or maybe it was the beer, or water, or whatever ... I don't really drink alcohol anymore so it's not that with me, at least not these days.
We'd like to think that, in any given age, we are provided with mics that push the boundaries to the utmost: of resolution, of low noise, frequency extremes, dynamic range embrace, fidelity to source.

I suppose if you don't find this in the best of today's mics, you have to work your way back through history (and perhaps take a sideways path via the less-than-neutral 'character' mics) until you find something that conforms to your notion of how music should sound.

Keep in mind that, as has been mentioned about the difficulty in finding an original U67 that sounds as it did 45 years ago, the working parts of mics that old (capacitors and capsules, valves, ribbons and circuits) are likely to have changed too.

However, given today's fixation with ribbons that display response droops at both ends of the spectrum, you could make a case that there is indeed such an animal as "too much fidelity"
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post

However, given today's fixation with ribbons that display response droops at both ends of the spectrum, you could make a case that there is indeed such an animal as "too much fidelity"
In fact that could be quite a serious point. Many of the criticisms of todays capacitor mics from many quarters is that the high end has too much lift, making them sound a little brittle and even harsh. (And exaggerated sibilants in song and speech as well).

These are not my judgements - but from many quarters where people have made serious tests of the mic's. (And I'm not disagreeing either!)

But I don't think ribbon mic's drop off at both ends - I think the bass end is considered pretty good and clean, but maybe you disagree?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Another factor is the age... of the owner.
If you get older with your microphone, it is possible that you don't ear it changing, because both are getting older together and it is a slow process.

Looking at the threads about the new U67 vs old ones, it looks that it is difficult to know today how sounded a real U67 back in the golden years (without processing etc.). It also seems sometimes difficult to find 2 old U67 that sound the same.
Saying that a 45 year old microphone sounds the same as a new one sounds a bit strange to me. Maybe...
I almost bought a reissue U67 back in October but my dealer didn't have one in stock! Looking back i'm glad he didn't have one in stock cause i would of bought one and i would of had buyers remorse. To expensive for a reissue in my opinion!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher_lover View Post
He talks of years of dust on a mic diaphragm changing the sound. My mics are only out for an hour or two maybe each one about once a fortnight, and the remainder of the time either covered by plastic bags and any mic covers provided or if not in regular use, in their sealed boxes.

But I suppose in regular studio use most people will leave them up week in week out with no covers. I have one pair of mics that are 45 years old and still work and are still in as new condition.
Don't forget that, inherently, a condenser mic. attracts dust and contaminents to the diaphragm by electrostatic action (not RF condensers, though).
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyGold View Post
Too expensive for a reissue in my opinion!
???

Don't forget the old microphones were designed at a time wjhen labour was cheap and technology was expensive.

A re-issue will have to be made in the old, labout intensive, way.

Also - they have to back to the original drawings and re-tool from scratch

A proper re-issue will always be a lot more expensive than a modern designed microphone as it requires a lot more labour cvontent.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
???

Don't forget the old microphones were designed at a time wjhen labour was cheap and technology was expensive.

A re-issue will have to be made in the old, labout intensive, way.

Also - they have to back to the original drawings and re-tool from scratch

A proper re-issue will always be a lot more expensive than a modern designed microphone as it requires a lot more labour cvontent.
The reason why people pay big bucks for vintage is because of the scarcity. So if all a sudden all the other vintage model mics started up again in fresh production by Neumann you think they worth vintage area prices? Hell No!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyGold View Post
The reason why people pay big bucks for vintage is because of the scarcity. So if all a sudden all the other vintage model mics started up again in fresh production by Neumann you think they worth vintage area prices? Hell No!
It’s nothing at all to do with “vintage prices”, it’s to do with the actual cost of manufacturing the microphone.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
[...] If you get older with your microphone, it is possible that you don't ear it changing, because both are getting older together and it is a slow process. [...]
...And all along I thought it was tinnitus!
I had the capsule cleaned, and it went away!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Back in the day when radio ruled, microphones were mad to exacting engineering standards, smooth, natural sound without hype and good proximity performance etc. Today they are mostly made to satisfy the trends of the day...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Back in the day when radio ruled, microphones were mad to exacting engineering standards, smooth, natural sound without hype and good proximity performance etc. Today they are mostly made to satisfy the trends of the day...
Very true
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Back in the day when radio ruled, microphones were mad to exacting engineering standards, smooth, natural sound without hype and good proximity performance etc.
Bearing in mind this thread's title question, I imagine many would agree this could also be a fair characterization of Schoeps microphones*

*The dissenting voices who perceive a harsh, veiled, inaccurate, congested, thick, off-putting, brittle, or unnatural character notwithstanding...
Old 2 weeks ago
My old Schoeps literally have ORTF engraved on them.... hard to get much more precise and radio than that lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedamrosch View Post
Bearing in mind this thread's title question, I imagine many would agree this could also be a fair characterization of Schoeps microphones*

*The dissenting voices who perceive a harsh, veiled, inaccurate, congested, thick, off-putting, brittle, or unnatural character notwithstanding...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Cant say anything about is it king or not, but still i have not found the mic that sounds very natural yet not over-naturalistic for voice just as my old Schoeps. I literally bring it to any recording session, we’re comparing the voice recorded with any other mic to it and it damn always wins! There still was not a single artist who preferred any other mic to it, and thats kind of magic.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search