The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

Is Schoeps still king in 2019? Condenser Microphones
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Sounds like someone has a horse in the race.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen View Post
I think this has a lot to do with how sound refracts around the human head and outer ear as well as the vast amount of auditory processing that goes on in our brains. I think we have some built in diffuse filters, for example. The accuracy(or lack thereof) of the transducer is only part of the problem IMO.
Personally I dread the idea of a mic company coming up with a device that somehow tries or claims to incorporate a degree of 'perceptual encoding' ....so that it hears the way my ear/brain mechanism does. Because sure as eggs it will be different to the way each of my 2 discrete ears work individually and as a pair in tandem.

Sure as hell also it will be different to the way your ears work, and the rest of the ear-pairs on this forum too (we can't even agree on MS, capsule symmetry etc ) and thus differently to the ear/brain of the mic manufacturer too.

At least the mics we have now are known quantities ....they 'hear' in predictable ways (esp with matched pairs) and we can work within and adjust for their failings and idiosyncratic pickup foibles. You can keep your "ear/brain modelled mics" to yourself (as indeed, they would very likely have to be tuned to your particular hearing style anyway) !
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Personally I dread the idea of a mic company coming up with a device that somehow tries or claims to incorporate a degree of 'perceptual encoding' ....so that it hears the way my ear/brain mechanism does. Because sure as eggs it will be different to the way each of my 2 discrete ears work individually and as a pair in tandem.

Sure as hell also it will be different to the way your ears work, and the rest of the ear-pairs on this forum too (we can't even agree on MS, capsule symmetry etc ) and thus differently to the ear/brain of the mic manufacturer too.

At least the mics we have now are known quantities ....they 'hear' in predictable ways (esp with matched pairs) and we can work within and adjust for their failings and idiosyncratic pickup foibles. You can keep your "ear/brain modelled mics" to yourself (as indeed, they would very likely have to be tuned to your particular hearing style anyway) !
Eh, I was just pointing out some reasons why mics sound different than when we're in the room with our own ears. Wasn't suggesting mics designs should go that direction.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen View Post
Eh, I was just pointing out some reasons why mics sound different than when we're in the room with our own ears. Wasn't suggesting mics designs should go that direction.
I know, I'm just suggesting that given choice between the current crop of inaccurate perhaps flawed mics and some future generation of 'smart mics' incorporating perceptual processing...I'll take the dumb ones !
Old 1 day ago
Of course not. I am the King, as you can see from my handle.

Of course not.

I am the King, and you can see from the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyGold View Post
All publicity is good publicity some may say! Took a snap shot of this yesterday cause i thought it was funny! The Schoeps CMIT5U used during the R Kelly interview! So sticking to topic now. Few months ago i got myself a CMIT Mini and been loving it!! I been seeing alot of big production videos with some kind of Schoeps mic being used. So i just wanna ask.. Do most of you professionals still see Schoeps as the "king" in location recording?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search