The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

Is Schoeps still king in 2019? Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Oh! Nice work.

Thanks.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

LOL!

I had to chuckle when the authoritative poster here stated "Best" was a forbidden term, when the top Forum section on this very site contradicted that. Perhaps it is all tongue in cheek....

Resume your day.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
LOL!

I had to chuckle when the authoritative poster here stated "Best" was a forbidden term, when the top Forum section on this very site contradicted that. Perhaps it is all tongue in cheek....

Resume your day.
True dat!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
Funny, considering this is the Forum section I see at the top of the home page:

Best Studio Gear
The gear that the Gearslutz community talks about the most.

Opening reveals this:

Ten of the Best Analog Mix Bus Processors Right Now
Ten Of The Best Semi-Modular Synths Right Now
Ten of the Best Audio Repair Software & Plug-Ins
Ten Most Popular Reverb Plug-Ins Right Now
Ten of the best drum machines right now
Ten of the best free effects plug-ins
Ten of the best Thunderbolt and USB-C audio interfaces
Ten of the best vintage drum machines
10 Most Popular 500-Series EQs
Ten of the best mobile apps for music production
10 most popular DAWs right now
10 most popular audio interfaces right now
10 most popular channel strip plug-ins right now
The 10 most popular plug-ins right now
10 of the most popular EQ plug-ins right now
10 of the best virtual pianos right now
10 Most Talked About Condenser Microphones Right Now
10 Most Talked About Compressor Plug-Ins Right Now
10 Most Talked About Dynamic Microphones Right Now
10 Most Talked About Keyboard Synthesizers Right Now
Ten of the best headphones over $300
Ten of the best 8-preamp audio interfaces under $1k
Ten of the best microphones to record tom-tom drums
Ten of the best step sequencers
Ten of the best guitar amp simulation plug-ins
Ten of the best mics for recording drums overheads
Ten preamps to expand your audio interface (from $150 to $800)
Ten of the best brickwall limiter plug-ins
Ten of the best MIDI/USB Keyboard Controllers
Ten of the best mics for recording snare drums
Ten of the best Delay Plug-Ins
Ten UAD plug-ins Gearslutz can't live without
Ten of the best polyphonic analog synthesizers
Ten of the best microphones for recording kick drums
Top Five Audio Interfaces Under $300
Ten of the Best Microphones under $300 for Recording Vocals
Ten Active Studio Monitors (under $1,000)
Top Ten Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphones under $1000
Ten of the best 500-series Mic Preamps
Ten of the Best Studio Monitors ($1,000 to $2,000)
Best Headphones (under $200)
Ten Mics for Recording Acoustic Guitars (under $1,000)
Ten Portable USB Audio Interfaces
Best Reverb Plugins
Best Soft Synth Plugins
Best Compressor Plugins
Best EQ Plugins

David Letterman would be proud.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
I have owned a broad gamut of Neumann’s, Sennheiser Mkh’s, DPA 4000 series, gefells, AkGs, Royers, AEAs, Coles, etc etc, and I can say that literally every mic I ever used from any of the ones I just listed was high quality kit that turned out professional results. However, I do have to say that my Schoeps mics are consistently my overall favorite microphones for location work. They are wonderfully smooth and neutral and always yield superlative imaging and depth. But - I am just a small studio, and my opinion is worth little in the big picture. It is watching production broadcasts of major orchestras from all over the world and seeing Schoeps mics all over the stages that truly speaks to their status in the industry.
Neutral? I can identify a Schoeps mic within 3 seconds it is so colored and congested.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
"Do most of you professionals still see Schoeps as the "king" in location recording? "

It depends what kind of location recording.
If you're talking about classical music recordings on location, indoor, from solo to symphonic, I would say there is no kings.
I find there is a large offer and then, a matter of taste.

I use Neumann as main when the room is good, when the room is not so good I use some Sennheiser.
To spot strings, winds, brasses, voices, I use microphones from Schoeps, Neumann, Royer...

I already wrote somewhere that, for example, I don't like the MK4, but I bought MK22s to spot violins and violas and MK2s when I have to spot a piano. I used the MK2 over an organ weeks ago and was really impressed by the quality of the low register response.
I tried a full Neumann setup and was really disappointed by how sounds a KM184 as spot in a M150 pair over a harp, for example (but BIS work with a lot of 184, so...).
Disappointed too when I tried to blend some MK21 (spot over a Steinway) into a MKH800 Twin main pair.

Choice is a matter of taste, and the Schoeps MK22 was for me better than everything else I tried, including Sennheiser MKH8040 or MKH40, KM184, TLM107, CM-3, MK012... to spot the way I wanted the upper strings, in a Neumann or a Sennheiser main pair.

Some will say DPA or nothing etc, Schoeps or nothing, Sennheiser or Neumann or nothing...
I try to find what sounds the best to my ears. No kings, maybe a federal setup!

Fred.
In a bad room I would use Schoeps because of soundstage, softening and veiling. Great room DPA’s.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaBzg View Post
In a bad room I would use Schoeps because of soundstage, softening and veiling. Great room DPA’s.
DPA def more flat than the Schoeps! One thing i'll say with the Schoeps CMIT is that it's very finicky with placement. I'm not a big video production guy, i got one just to add to the collection for when i do some video stuff. I've tried it in all kinds of rooms at close n far ranges. To me it sounds best when you have it above head about 15 inches slightly pointed towards the mouth. I don't like it that much too close, not a bad sound close but to me it's value is in booming as i'm guessing what it was designed for.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyGold View Post
One thing i'll say with the Schoeps CMIT is that it's very finicky with placement.
This is exactly why the boom operator's position is still valuable today, even while producers and post production think that simply wiring every actor up and having their dialog available on a fader is good sound for movies and (especially) TV. You know what? Wiring every actor makes for exceedingly boring sound for motion pictures and TV. No ideas about sound matching picture or sound perspective. But it's cheap in post (no mixing abilities are needed and every postie is on a "per episode" rate which makes time to mix only count against the re-re's income) and on the set (no skilled sound personnel needed, either on the mic end or at the cart end.

Sorry to be so harsh, but any sound monkey can mix TV now days. I know. I've done it both ways.

D.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Neutral? I can identify a Schoeps mic within 3 seconds it is so colored and congested.
When I am driving my car which has a really bad car stereo, I can identify an all Schoeps recording in 2 seconds !
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
When I am driving my car which has a really bad car stereo, I can identify an all Schoeps recording in 2 seconds !
That's because all material that makes it through to broadcast status on your car radio has been recorded with Schoeps mics They must be truly awful transducers to have been adopted so universally across the globe....
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
That's because all material that makes it through to broadcast status on your car radio has been recorded with Schoeps mics They must be truly awful transducers to have been adopted so universally across the globe....
Of course you are right, but it still does not change my reality. I must be over sensitive to the one thing they do not do well at all.

Kind of like an oyster or caviar allergy

On a string section, 90% of the sound is the mic sound instead of the expensive instruments. Cannot change the way I hear it, sorry.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can identify a Schoeps mic within 3 seconds it is so colored and congested.

Comparing DPA 4021, Neumann KM 184, Neumann KM 143 and Schoeps MK 21 on piano.

Which track is Schoeps ?
Attached Thumbnails
Is Schoeps still king in 2019?-430051d1416140794-cm3-really-good-dscf1085.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
What's the password to open the key txt file? Thanks
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Some poster's credibility is being lost moment by moment, post by post here.

Already the statements and opinions of some known posters are on deep discount here.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Track 2

Quote:
[URL="https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-acoustic-music-and-location-recording/644759-cm3-really-good-36.html#post10560804"]
Comparing DPA 4021, Neumann KM 184, Neumann KM 143 and Schoeps MK 21 on piano.[/]

Which track is Schoeps ?
Track 2. BTW...I record wind band and orchestra. Solo instrument is more difficult (for me). Schoeps for solo instrument is fine if not preferred. Large acoustical ensembles where entrances, timbres, range I find Schoeps to be veiled and smearing and congested when what you want is clarity and definition.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinknot View Post
What's the password to open the key txt file? Thanks
crappybass
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Track 2.
No, it's 1.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No, it's 1.
That was my second guess. But as I said....large wind band or orchestra is easy because of Schoeps veiling, congestion and smearing. It’s like a smoothie of banana, strawberry and pineapple versus cut fruit not blended. When I record those large ensembles, I want to hear definition (cut fruit) versus smearing (smooths). Schoeps is a foggy window versus a just wi sexed window. I hear the preamp is the issue versus the capsule.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
That was my second guess. But as I said....large wind band or orchestra is easy because of Schoeps veiling, congestion and smearing. It’s like a smoothie of banana, strawberry and pineapple versus cut fruit not blended. When I record those large ensembles, I want to hear definition (cut fruit) versus smearing (smooths). Schoeps is a foggy window versus a just wi sexed window. I hear the preamp is the issue versus the capsule.
So in another words.... You like it raw!. I hear ya
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Some poster's credibility is being lost moment by moment, post by post here.
I smell $3000 interconnect cables.

D.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Everybody has to be passive aggressive and bully others because they don’t like how someone else communicates because, you know, people should be more like themselves. Narcissistic much? # stereotypicalrecordingtypes
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I wasn't being passive aggressive. I was being sarcastic.

If you took it as a personal affront, you're doing it wrong.

D.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That link gets me in a thread, but I cannot find the post with the sound files ?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

It works for me: it links to my post #1058 on 16th November 2014 in thread entitled CM3 - really THAT good?.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

It took me to post 701 ...

Anyway, in this comparison I by far prefer nr3. It is the only version which sounds "free". nr 4 sounds nasty. nr2 sounds as if there is a handbrake on all the time. nr1 is quite ok, it has some resonant quality which nr3 does not have and which I do not really like.

Hard to judge, not used to micing this close ...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Everybody has to be passive aggressive and bully others because they don’t like how someone else communicates because, you know, people should be more like themselves. Narcissistic much? # stereotypicalrecordingtypes
Not passive agressive here. I was straight forward in telling you that your posts are now on deep discount here. Schoeps= veiled, harsh, foggy, (not cut fruit), smeared and congested???

Cannabis resin?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Cannabis resin?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
They sure are.

But I wouldn't want to lay odds on how long that will continue. The technology of those mics is getting very, very long in the tooth. Few companies (Schoeps inclusive) see a positive ROI on doing really deep research and development, so things kind of ground to a halt in the 1970s. But there is a lot of money washing around China and that will change. Microphones are one kind of technology that is ripe for a really radical leap forward. There should be whole new kinds of transducers by now.
The materials available for caps and transformers has gone down hill since WWII. We used up the good metals fighting. The good materials cost to much or are bad for you. For example I have a bunch of beryllium dynamics from Yamaha, I bet they are radio active!

Tooling investments and operator training is where The Germans kicked ass and now China is catcing up. This change you can expect, but will take another few generations to have machining traditions like Germany.

Material science has gone through the roof, but mic design has not changed much other than the KSM8, and people looking at array's that can be focused durring the mix. What has been changing is speakers. Leap and bound in that area, but mic's are just creaping ahead.

To me, The new REDD mic is the first leap over the U49,U50,U67 catagory. So it's taken over 50 years to realy make an improvement in the top end of mic's,

Even then, it will take some doing to have the M50's replaced by whatever Abby road comes up with next.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by szegedin View Post

But for now, all microphones sound absolutely terrible compared to human hearing, and technological innovation is sorely needed. You only need to step outside and night and listen to a fork hit the sidewalk from half a block away to reflect on the vast gulf between mics and ears.
I think this has a lot to do with how sound refracts around the human head and outer ear as well as the vast amount of auditory processing that goes on in our brains. I think we have some built in diffuse filters, for example. The accuracy(or lack thereof) of the transducer is only part of the problem IMO.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search