The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How many Neumann mics are discontinued ? Condenser Microphones
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
How many Neumann mics are discontinued ?

I'll admit I don't try to keep current with mics falling into the 'discontinued' basket by various manufacturers, but this listing (from Neumann's site, linked below) took me by surprise. Therefore, several I list may have discontinued for some time already...

Can you believe the U87i is no longer made ?
Others discontinued include: KM130, KM140, KM150, TLM170, TLM50, TLM127, KU80 and KU81 (dummy heads), U87 Anniversary set, plus many others.

I don't know what implications this might have for owners needing service/repairs for these into the future ?

Here's the list (you need to keep clicking on "more products", in orange at the lower edge, to fully populate the list) : Historical Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Your looks accurate except for the TLM170. It is in current production and now referred to as the TLM170R. Same mic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Your looks accurate except for the TLM170. It is in current production and now referred to as the TLM170R. Same mic.
This almost gave me a heart attack, as the TLM170 is on my short list of mics to buy once I get a spare $7 grand.

I guess maybe they classify the TLM170 (original) as a different product than the TLM170R with the remote pattern control.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Consider purchasing any Neumann mic from Music Store Cologne for savings.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Consider purchasing any Neumann mic from Music Store Cologne for savings.
Got a link to that specific shop? Are they like the Full Compass of Germany?
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Holy smokes! I will have to remember this site.
Old 1 week ago
Neumann forbids most EU distributors from shipping to the US now. Not sure if plush's store will allow it. Bummer since Neumann mics are about 30 percent cheaper there.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I was lucky to find a matched pair of TLM170 second hand. They were in as new condition. I purchased a third TLM170 years ago second hand that was in terrible condition and I had to then buy a new capsule for it. So you win some and lose some.

The TLM170 is such a wonderful mic though. I have recently finished two lieder sessions for tenors, one of Britten songs and one of Schumann.

Here's a sample.
Daniel de Borah on Twitter: "And a great pleasure working with you too David! Here's a sneak preview from the sessions #Schumann #Dichterliebe #Liederkreis #Lotosblume… https://t.co/Sx6NTMAkgB"
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
This almost gave me a heart attack, as the TLM170 is on my short list of mics to buy once I get a spare $7 grand.

I guess maybe they classify the TLM170 (original) as a different product than the TLM170R with the remote pattern control.

I found a beat up TLM170 Purple badge for about $1300 just a few months ago. Those deals can still be found that mic. Get a used current red badge one easy for $2K

Matched pair with remote control, I could see that running 7K for a good setup.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Can you believe the U87i is no longer made ?
It was discontinued in 1986 or thereabouts and replaced with the U87Ai which is still current.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
It was discontinued in 1986 or thereabouts and replaced with the U87Ai which is still current.
Ok, it looks like we can relax, the devil is in those little append/suffix details

Still, a list like that can trigger a run on remaining stocks, when a product gets deleted (not to mention the used price going up !) It's probably one to keep an eye on every 3-6 months.....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think we should all buy a couple, just to be on the safe side.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search