The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How much responsibility do we have to correct or inform musicians? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's frequently a bit less defined in the world of the more informal one man shop that deals with anything from pros to bottom level amateurs. People hire me for all sorts of reasons, many of which are unclear. There are lots of records I've produced, but then not been given credit, others I've had almost nothing to do with, yet I end up listed as producer or co-producer, because people starting out don't know. It's usually a string of test probes, to see what the client appreciates hearing about, and whether they are open to engaging. Sometimes I can only point out various concerns, and never mention them again; sometimes the client will only learn the lesson after the record is released and their money has been parted with. Problem noted as a question ("is this part as you wish it to be?"), due diligence done. I get part of an idea about what the potential involvement is from the level of response I get about pre-production demos, and how much of a conversation can be had about project scope and goals.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thread veered off to be about etiquette during a pop music session. That is not what the thread is about.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Singers sing, and players play, and recordists record, and producers produce, and moderators moderate.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Thread veered off to be about etiquette during a pop music session. That is not what the thread is about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
As engineers/producers, what are our responsibilities to help musicians achieve the best recordings without risking offending our clients?
This quote from the OP left the door open for an expansion of the discussion don't you think...?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You’re the main person who led it astray, I think. No, I don’t agree with you. Thread was about interacting with a chamber music (classical ensemble) and about communication between engineer (intimately involved) and the players.

Then you started staking out territories / boundaries during a pop session. Mostly you talked about what the engineer is not allowed to do.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Hmmm... remind me... who was it who sent a thread careening off the rails because the OP had his hat on in a church? :-)

If the mods let that religion-basted sidebar go nuclear without gonging it, which they did, it's hard for me to imagine they'd have an issue with this one. And if they don't, well, neither do we. Do we?

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 1 week ago at 12:31 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
You’re the main person who led it astray, I think. No, I don’t agree with you. Thread was about interacting with a chamber music (classical ensemble) and about communication between engineer (intimately involved) and the players.

Then you started staking out territories / boundaries during a pop session. Mostly you talked about what the engineer is not allowed to do.
The title of the thread is: “How much responsibility do we have to correct or inform musicians?l. The question the OP asked in the original post is: “As engineers and producers, what are our responsibilities to help musicians achieve the best recordings without risking offending our clients?”

The story that was used to setup the plot involved a chamber music ensemble....nothing suggested that this was solely about working with a chamber ensemble. That was not mentioned in the title or the Main question, so disagree all you like but the discussion has pretty much stayed on the topic of producer/engineer/musicians relationships when recording. You’re only trying to split hairs, and by so doing, you are taking the discussion off course.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Not sure about why I am posting this after this long thread-

at the back of the ORCH, my alt pair was a little too low and pointing more directly down at the woodwinds, with a lot of clacking; I raised the mics a bit and pivoted them a little bit more toward the back - and the clacking disappeared..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emenelton View Post
Not sure about why I am posting this after this long thread-

at the back of the ORCH, my alt pair was a little too low and pointing more directly down at the woodwinds, with a lot of clacking; I raised the mics a bit and pivoted them a little bit more toward the back - and the clacking disappeared..
so it was th best thing to do!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
so it was th best thing to do!
yup

Last edited by emenelton; 1 week ago at 02:49 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search