The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Merging Anubis Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
TLS
Gear Maniac

Multi-client ASIO is a must-have here. WDM might be possible with some workarounds using a Virtual Sound Card but ultimately it doesn't instill confidence that Merging can deliver on the software side.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think Merging probably do prioritise MassCore (first class citizen) over Native/ASIO (second class). But to me the best future path is true multithreaded PMX Native with ASIO as PC's have moved on a lot since MassCore was proposed all those years ago.

PMX probably needs a rewrite though and that might be too much to contemplate in the near future.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
I think Merging probably do prioritise MassCore (first class citizen) over Native/ASIO (second class). But to me the best future path is true multithreaded PMX Native with ASIO as PC's have moved on a lot since MassCore was proposed all those years ago.
I agree, but I'm biased towards Masscore enhancements. After all, Anubis, along with Horus and Hapi are designed and marketed as professional recording and production products. In that, Masscore in Merging's world is their top of the line and most complete offering. The fact is that multi threading of Masscore, let alone Pyramix Native, is very desirable. That's especially so by those with substantial size projects where multi threading would substantially reduce processing time, and potentially increase its capabilities.

That software task alone is significant, if not unrealistic, for a company Merging's size. What I don't know is if Interval Zero's RTX64, the single threaded system which Masscore is mounted, is not available in a multi threaded form. That would be a comparatively simple port.

Not withstanding the above, today's Merging is much more a hardware company, in contrast to when their product was mostly software, mounted on a hardware accelerator. It's unclear how they will apportion their very finite resources in growing the new line of products, verses the traditional professional use products.

I was at Soundmirror yesterday, and fondled their new Anubis. While I had last seen it at AES last October, I was bowled over by how tiny it is. Not larger than my palm and fingers (eat your heart out Don)! For a product of its capability and performance (it does up to DSD256 and 384KHz PCM!) at its price point of roughly $2,000, I believe the folks concerned about it not having initially all they want in software support will find a way to adapt it to their needs. It really is impressive.

Tom

Last edited by tailspn; 1 week ago at 08:22 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

PMX probably needs a rewrite though and that might be too much to contemplate in the near future.
Masscore is multi-thread, as long as you have the SMP option that is included with Masscore Extended (Formally 256). In that regard, with it's RTOS, it is vastly more capable of processing throughput when compared to windows controlled native multi-thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailspn View Post
I agree, and I'm biased towards Masscore enhancements. After all, Anubis, along with Horus and Hapi are designed and marketed as professional recording and production products. In that, Masscore in Merging's world is their top of the line and most complete offering. The fact is that multi threading of Masscore, let alone Pyramix Native, is very desirable. That's especially so by those with substantial size projects where multi threading would substantially reduce processing time, and potentially increase its capabilities.
That software task alone is significant, if not unrealistic, for a company Merging's size. What I don't know is if Interval Zero's RTX64, the single threaded system which Masscore is mounted, is not available in a multi threaded form. That would be a comparatively simple port.
There is a hierarchy to the available processing at each level of the Pyramix system.
  • Masscore Pro Extended (256) is multi-thread on both the Native and RTX.
  • Masscore Pro (128) is Multi-thread on Native and Single thread on RTX
  • Native is single thread.
Pyramix Masscore 256 is multi-thread on both the Interval Zero RTX RTOS as well as the native VST processing side. I have a 6 physical/12 logical core XEON workstation and am regularly doing 50-60 track DXD projects with processing in both the Native (VST) and Masscore (RTX). I have my system configured for 6 cores for Masscore and 5 cores for VST Native (Windows gets one). Once you understand the way that processing is distributed, you can easily configure a project to have a very large amount of processing distributed among all the available cores.

The thing to remember about Anubis, is that is is not designed to be a standalone recorder like a Sound Devices. It is designed to live in a network ecosystem with, at a minimum, a workstation. It can fill other roles for addressing monitor control and remote preamp control, but fundamentally it is like a Horus or Hapi in that it is designed to operate within a network infrastructure.

As always, YMMV.
All the best,
-mark
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
Masscore is multi-thread, as long as you have the SMP option that is included with Masscore Extended (Formally 256).

I have my system configured for 6 cores for Masscore and 5 cores for VST Native (Windows gets one). Once you understand the way that processing is distributed, you can easily configure a project to have a very large amount of processing distributed among all the available cores.

As always, YMMV.
All the best,
-mark
Well, terrific! Off topic, I run Masscore Pro Extended, but for reasons unknown to me, divide my 4 core (physical) I7 processor in to 2 cores for Masscore, and 2 cores for Windows. If I read your very helpful note correctly, can I run all four cores allocated to Masscore? Where does Windows then run?

Thanks!
Tom
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Answered my own question; the system regulates itself. 8 logical cores at a maximum can be divided only 6 to Masscore, and 2 to Windows. I presume this setting will cause apps like Album Publishing and the DSD Converter tool to run somewhat slower than a 4 core Masscore, 4 core Windows selection.

Back to your regularly scheduled program
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Thanks for the reply - that's disappointing to hear. I'd forgotten about using RX simultaneously as well which will be problematic.

Sounds like Merging needs to hire someone to write some decent drivers.
There is nothing wrong with the Merging driver. It is stable and works great for what it is supposed to do. That said, I would like it to be multiclient ASIO in the future.

The Anubis seems to be a very good compliment to Hapi and Horus, as they lack inbuilt hardware mixers.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
There is a hierarchy to the available processing at each level of the Pyramix system.
  • Masscore Pro Extended (256) is multi-thread on both the Native and RTX.
  • Masscore Pro (128) is Multi-thread on Native and Single thread on RTX
  • Native is single thread.

Pyramix Masscore 256 is multi-thread on both the Interval Zero RTX RTOS as well as the native VST processing side. I have a 6 physical/12 logical core XEON workstation and am regularly doing 50-60 track DXD projects with processing in both the Native (VST) and Masscore (RTX). I have my system configured for 6 cores for Masscore and 5 cores for VST Native (Windows gets one). Once you understand the way that processing is distributed, you can easily configure a project to have a very large amount of processing distributed among all the available cores.
Thanks for this detailed information Mark. When you say you "multi-thread on Native", do you mean for VST processing, after still booting into MassCore (RTX) first?

Can one get any multi-thread performance with a MassCore key/licence for SMP but without booting into MassCore? I always thought, no?

Last edited by David Spearritt; 1 day ago at 09:39 AM..
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
During the second week of April I've been informed. Nice Easter egg.
Must be close now?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em2016 View Post
Must be close now?
Mid May for the next batch to arrive here in the US.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search