The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Merging Anubis Audio Interfaces
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

As I understood from the Manual I can't monitoring with ASIO DRIVER 6 channels from the DAW to Anubis 6 outputs, only DAW 1-2 stereo.Why they didnt make DAW 3-4, DAW 5-6 in Sources. Or I can do it myself
Or I can use Unicast and connect asio outputs directly to physical outputs of Anubis in Aneman
5.1 Surround works only as monitor controller of a Hapi-HOrus device

Last edited by Ainhaya; 2 weeks ago at 08:45 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainhaya View Post
As I understood from the Manual I can't monitoring with ASIO DRIVER 6 channels from the DAW to Anubis 6 outputs, only DAW 1-2 stereo.Why they didnt make DAW 3-4, DAW 5-6 in Sources. Or I can do it myself
Or I can use Unicast and connect asio outputs directly to physical outputs of Anubis in Aneman
5.1 Surround works only as monitor controller of a Hapi-HOrus device
You can, but you will probably need to manually create a new Source.

Anubis Help
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailspn View Post
A single Anubis can output six channels, the last two through the the two headphone outputs. It can be used to monitor 5.1 surround.
I thought it can output eight channels (main, line + 2 headphones) !?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziki View Post
Could well be. I just remembered the overview I got last AES about monitoring five DSD surround channels, with a sixth available for 5.1.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziki View Post
Yep main, line and 2 headphone outputs is the 6-channels.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em2016 View Post
Yep main, line and 2 headphone outputs is the 6-channels.
But each headphone output is two channels. Can they be independent to make four separate channels? Seems logical if there's separate 2 channel headphone output amplifiers.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
But each headphone output is two channels. Can they be independent to make four separate channels? Seems logical if there's separate 2 channel headphone output amplifiers.
I read the two headphones were independent. So 4 unique channels. You could theoretically use headphone 2 for unbalanced Center and LFE channels of a 5.1 system, and still have headphone 1 free for, well, headphones.

It isn't the most elegant way to create a surround monitoring system, but barring a separate Hapi, it is doable.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
I read the two headphones were independent. So 4 unique channels. You could theoretically use headphone 2 for unbalanced Center and LFE channels of a 5.1 system, and still have headphone 1 free for, well, headphones.

It isn't the most elegant way to create a surround monitoring system, but barring a separate Hapi, it is doable.
Yes, it has 8 independent outputs. 4 balanced line and 2x2 headphones. In the original design phase of the Anubis, we pushed for 2 inputs and 6 balanced outputs and 2 headphones, which for our purposes would have been perfect for surround control room use. It is really aimed at the stereo production market and for that purpose it is a perfect fit. I wish that rather than have 2 levels of quality (Standard and Premium) that they had offered 2 different IO options, one as it exists today with 4x4x2 for stereo production, and one with 2x6x2 for surround monitoring.
Given that we already have 9 HAPIs, this is a very expensive way to insert talkback and headphone into our workflow. It is great for smaller jobs where we only need stereo control room monitoring or to make a quick and dirty 2 channel recording.

As always, YMMV.
-mark
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yes, when one looks at block diagram at manual it shows clearly 8 independent outputs.

There are 2 other things that make me wonder:

- What are the crosstalk numbers (regarding the outputs) ?

- I have noted, when looking at manual, there is a FAN !!! (what is the noise of it when it turns ?)
Old 1 week ago
I was thinking they could have sacrificed the headphone 2 port and repurposed those converters for two more balanced outputs on the back instead of the midi and general purpose ports. Or better yet, make it switchable in the routing controls so the users has options. Luckily my clients are not requesting surround recordings.

Still waiting for my premium unit to arrive. Very curious to see how it works first hand.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

...i'm seeing the same design decisions/mistakes as many years ago with the merging dua II converter: not enough outputs!

on the dua II, one could at least get six balanced outputs when fed with adat, at the cost of monitoring, but who was still using adat at that time? (as i think of it, this actually was still better than with the anubis!) the dip switches on the side of the dua rack were another stupidity though...

more outputs, the driver sitting on the unit and the anubis could have become a winner for portable monitoring with all sorts of gear, also from other manufacturers...

so, waiting for anubis II then (and pls ask some users before committing another/repeating design mistakes)!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
Yes, it has 8 independent outputs. 4 balanced line and 2x2 headphones.
Yes, I should have investigated the manual (thanks dziki). Given the two channels of a headphone output are unbalanced/single ended, is there anything in the firmware/software that precludes using one headphone output to be assigned channels 5 and 6 of a surround feed from Pyramix DAW project?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Given the two channels of a headphone output are unbalanced/single ended, is there anything in the firmware/software that precludes using one headphone output to be assigned channels 5 and 6 of a surround feed from Pyramix DAW project?
Based on my experience w/ Horus & Hapi, assigning a single channel monitor output (w/ any level adjustments) should be easy in the Pyramix monitor panel. You can even set up the panel to alternate between surround and stereo if you wish.

Just for fun, I tried this in Pyramix - see the attached pic. I assigned 5 outputs to a normal DA card output, and the LFE to an AES output. I used AES as I don't have the headphone monitor output assigned from this machine in Aneman. However, this demonstrates you can mix and match outputs as needed.

Come to think of it, you can probably do this in Aneman too! ...which means you can set it up with any software, not just Pyramix.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Merging Anubis-ss-pmx-monitor-panel.jpg  

Last edited by charlienyc; 1 week ago at 09:10 PM.. Reason: added pic & further info
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CemA View Post
My Anubis just arrived.
If you have any questions, I can try to answer.
Is the fan making audible noise ?

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes, it has 8 independent outputs. 4 balanced line and 2x2 headphones. In the original design phase of the Anubis, we pushed for 2 inputs and 6 balanced outputs and 2 headphones, which for our purposes would have been perfect for surround control room use. It is really aimed at the stereo production market and for that purpose it is a perfect fit. I wish that rather than have 2 levels of quality (Standard and Premium) that they had offered 2 different IO options, one as it exists today with 4x4x2 for stereo production, and one with 2x6x2 for surround monitoring.
Given that we already have 9 HAPIs, this is a very expensive way to insert talkback and headphone into our workflow. It is great for smaller jobs where we only need stereo control room monitoring or to make a quick and dirty 2 channel recording.

As always, YMMV.
-mark
Nice, this better news/info than I got from my Merging dealer...

Thanks for the info

Would be great to have access to the PDF manual by now.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em2016 View Post
Nice, this better news/info than I got from my Merging dealer...

Thanks for the info

Would be great to have access to the PDF manual by now.
It was Posted earlier in this thread

https://merging.com/support/downloads#ad-da-interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Given the two channels of a headphone output are unbalanced/single ended, is there anything in the firmware/software that precludes using one headphone output to be assigned channels 5 and 6 of a surround feed from Pyramix DAW project?
No there is no reason that you can not do this. However, I have a host of technical reservations about doing this in a situation where what you're listening to matters....
  1. What is the operating level difference between the balanced versus the unbalanced headphone output and what is the sensitivity difference between the balanced and unbalanced inputs at the destination device?
  2. How do you accurately calibrate it quickly in the field?
  3. Can the volume control of the headphone be bypassed and linked to the main volume control?
  4. Is there a similar noise floor in the headphone output vs the line outputs?
  5. Is the headphone amplifier of a similar precision/resolution when compared to the line outputs?
I have to say, for our purposes, the Anubis fails to offer us Pyramix users doing surround anything that improves our current monitoring situation in the field and actually adds a level of complication. As Charlie mentioned, Pyramix has this amazing monitor panel that offers a massive amount of flexibility to monitor different channel configurations (Stereo, surround, Atmos...) at the same time in the same project. You can also reformat surround and immersive buses and do custom downmixes right in the monitor panel without impacting your original mixes. My single, #1 , Most desired, Most important, feature request for Anubis would be that it control the monitor panel in Pyramix. The Zman monitor formatter is wonderful feature for people that are not in the current Merging ecosystem, but is of little use to the Pyramix user.
The monitor panel was the feature development that actually got me to give up my beloved Sonic Solutions (Which I mastered over 3000 records on...)and switch to Pyramix in the first place.
My final comment is on the UI. Unlike every other device in the Merging ecosystem, you do not have control of all the features in the UI from the web GUI on the computer. Half the features are on the hardware GUI (Which is cumbersome and slow to navigate like the HAPI) and half are in the web GUI. There is virtually no situation where this device will be used without a computer on the network.
Like I said earlier, this is an amazing interface for users of other workstations and those doing stereo only productions (Which we all know is the vast majority of users out there...) that want the flexibility to run a session and require amazing sound quality. It's a bummer for those of us that are already part of the Merging ecosystem that it is missing the most desired features.
We've already bought one and will probably buy another, but if it did the things we need it to do, we probably would have bought eight.

As always, YMMV.
All the best,
-mark
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
..... Like I said earlier, this is an amazing interface for users of other workstations and those doing stereo only productions (Which we all know is the vast majority of users out there...) that want the flexibility to run a session and require amazing sound quality. It's a bummer for those of us that are already part of the Merging ecosystem that it is missing the most desired features.
We've already bought one and will probably buy another, but if it did the things we need it to do, we probably would have bought eight.

As always, YMMV.
All the best,
-mark
Probably spot on - in case you are a PMX user. As a Pro Tools user with a Merging ecosystem, it makes more sense. No, I would not use it as a surround controller with the on-board outputs for the reasons you mention. But the ability to have it control a surround set - targeting HW outputs on my Horus or Hapi, makes sense to me.

I also see a clear potential for it as a personal foldback mixer for musicians in the studio (I mostly do non-classical stuff) although an expensive one. And as you mention: The SW is still lacking (the web interface is only half way there). But still, I personally feel this unit has a lot of potential - and it is currently seeing a lot of use here.

Regards,
Gaute
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
On my Horus when I am in the DSD mode (not DXD) the headphones will not work.
Not sure if that will be the same with Anubis for a while....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I think Anubis looks good for stereo, but I had higher hopes for more dsp-power for bass management. The limit 24/24 dB/oct at 5.1 seem a bit limiting. At least 7.1.4 (12 * 4= 48 poles) should be lowest limit for modern surround work, but as it is marketed to handle 32 channels I expected at least 32*4=128 poles. I believe I read the limit is 28(?). Also some room for PEQ on bass channels would be nice.

Hopefully they will release an "Immersive Mission", or an Anubis ver2.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiorecording View Post
On my Horus when I am in the DSD mode (not DXD) the headphones will not work.
Not sure if that will be the same with Anubis for a while....
When Anubis was announced initially, I was told by the US Merging Distributor that the Anubis Headphone amp will work up to DSD256. We are waiting for the firmware update for Anubis to function with DSD rate.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'm very interesting in how Anubis works with Ravenna Asio and Samplitude Pro x 4 in DXD MULTICHANNEL 8 independents outputs. If anybody will test it just send me the message or write in this thread

Last edited by Ainhaya; 1 week ago at 08:20 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainhaya View Post
I'm very interesting in how Anubis works with Ravenna Asio and Samplitude Pro x 4 in DXD MULTICHANNEL 8 independents outputs. If anybody will test it just send me the message or write in this thread
I run SAM. I’ll certainly try it out when it arrives.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Dear Merging,
AD phase deviation, please. I don't see it in the specs.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Here's a video from High End Munich with Jared Sacks of NativeDSD & Channel Classics and Claude Cellier from Merging. In it, Claude talks about and shows off the Anubis (starts at 8:15 on the video).

Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Anubis seems to be intersting for a small mastering setup, what about the converters ?

Can someone tell me more about sound quality and compare with other converters like Prism Lyra, Lynx Hilo...

Can someone record a loopback with Out 3-4 and In 1-2 and post it here please ? Or send me in pm...

Sorry for my english.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoura View Post
Here's a video from High End Munich with Jared Sacks of NativeDSD & Channel Classics and Claude Cellier from Merging. In it, Claude talks about and shows off the Anubis (starts at 8:15 on the video).

He talks about 4 local inputs and outputs instead of 8 with headphones.
Old 2 days ago
TLS
Gear Maniac

New firmware/drivers/ANEMAN available now at https://merging.com/support/downloads#ad-da-interfaces

[EDIT] ASIO drivers were buggy and caused constant dropouts so I had to roll back.

Last edited by TLS; 2 days ago at 07:26 PM..
Old 2 days ago
TLS
Gear Maniac

I've been testing an Anubis for the last few weeks in a pro music mix/production environment and unfortunately have had to return the unit as it's currently too buggy. The drivers exhibit latency that's 1.5->2x that of other devices at the same buffer size (I tested PCIe/USB/Ethernet interfaces) and increased CPU load, not to mention the issues/workarounds with no multi-client ASIO and no native Windows driver support. The stability of the system was also cause for concern with frequent connection errors and audible dropouts. I was never able to rely on it over the testing period as a primary interface where as the Dante/SoundGrid interfaces I tested on the same hardware were easy to set up and just worked.

I imagine if you are simply adding the unit to an existing Merging ecosystem then it might be a different experience but if you're looking to replicate the stability and user friendliness of RME/UAudio/Lynx etc then it has a way to go. Hopefully Merging will eventually figure it out as the unit does look great on paper and certainly has potential.

For what it's worth support were very patient and responded promptly to all my queries and concerns so they get a thumbs up!

Last edited by TLS; 2 days ago at 05:09 AM..
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Thank you TLS
I don't understand what is more important for Merging in this case - ASIO drivers, sound or the communication possibilities? May be they simply made monitor controller as DAD monitor with some external features. Hope it's not the truth and we'll see the driver stability in the future. With all of these features it will be the best bang for the buck.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search