The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So many ribbon mics on a live recording Ribbon Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

So many ribbon mics on a live recording

Just read about the winners of the 2019 grammy award ceremony and came across John Daversa and his Bigband. On youtube I found some of his recorded live concerts (Beatles covers). I have never seen so many big ribbon mics on a stage. Must have been some kind of collaboration with AEA. Amazing sound they recorded. I would have been afraid of the bleed, but maybe in a big hall, it is not so much of a problem.
When I once set up a R84 as a trumpet spot mic for a jazz concert in a small venue, I was a little shocked, that I also got some kind of room mic for the drums in this same mic. After that I was more cautious.

Ronald
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have used one of the mic isolation screens to baffle the rear lobe of the ribbon to control that effect and it worked pretty well
Old 1 week ago
Do you mean these videos?

This was recorded/filmed by Alex Chaloff, a member of the forum, who has close ties with AEA and is producing some of the nicest music features/videos out there. Maybe he'll chime in with some information.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Yes , that’s one of these. Very nicely made indeed
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, that's a ton of big ribbons on stage. Wow. No more bleed from a figure 8 than a cardioid mic, just from a different direction. Both have the same direct to reverberant sound ratio.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It wasn’t live, but back around 1984 I was lucky enough to record in Studio A RCA studio in NYC with my High School Jazz Band. On every Brass/Wind instrument was a giant RCA ribbon microphone. Twelve 44’s on our trumpet and sax sections, and five 77’s on Bones. Two flutes in a booth. Not sure what was on them. The drums were in a little half open house/booth and the group was setup with trumpets and Bones on one side of the room and Saxes on the other side of the room. All mics were running through a giant Neve console. We brought our 16 and 8 track recorder and these were being synced. My band director in addition to being legendary was also quite tech savvy. If I remember correctly there were issues with the syncing that made us take a break to rest our chops while they worked on it. It was quite an experience. I believe the studio was in the NBC building?, or maybe next door? I wish I had pictures of the setup.
Cameron
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

A ribbon mic will have more nodes than a cardoid. If you take pains to position appropriately, you could theoretically get better isolation out of a ribbon. AEA actually had an excellent article on this on their website some time ago. Let me see if I can find it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yup! Because a 44 has a 90dB null point at 90 degrees. That is some gobo! Also, the ratio of the trumpet to the front of that mic with that of the Trombone playing in the other direction at the back side, or the audience, even a noisy one is more than enough to keep things clean.
Cameron
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

That must have been a great experience for a high school band to record in such a professional location.

Thanks for the link to the AEA page. Nice read. I need more ribbons
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

We all need more ribbons!
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
This was recorded/filmed by Alex Chaloff, a member of the forum, who has close ties with AEA and is producing some of the nicest music features/videos out there. Maybe he'll chime in with some information.
The quality of his videos is truly inspiring, and his client list is ridiculous. Big fan here. I'm not sure what his relationship to AEA is, but it seems like they just gave him a key to the factory.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
Do you mean these videos?

I was looking at the recording of Here Comes the Sun... and when the singers walk on stage it appears that one of each group of three is singing right into the null of the ribbon !

Last edited by TMetzinger; 3 days ago at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Wrong Song!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I remember when that show went down- talked with Alex a great deal about it. AEA did sponsor it to an extent, but there were also a number of personal mics as well. It was filmed over two nights if memory serves and they went for an all ribbon recording. Room wasn’t huge and sound system wasn’t a big deal. But they also used careful placement of nulls on the mics to make it work

And yes, Alex does excellent work. Check out his live from Layman Drug Company videos on YouTube. Some amazing artists that are super well recorded and filmed.

-Ben
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
... if memory serves and they went for an all ribbon recording...
... all except the SM58 strangled in the Rap Guy Death Grip and eq'd really thin...

HB
Old 2 days ago
Well, he's a horn player too, and I expect the EQ was a stylistic choice. Made him sound... reedy.

Get it?

Reedy?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
Get it?

Reedy?
I get it!

I Reedy, Reedy GET IT!

Don't particularly like it... but I do get it.

H
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
I get it!

I Reedy, Reedy GET IT!

Don't particularly like it... but I do get it.

H
A good pun is one that sends the audience running away screaming.
My job here is done.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search