The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

Bought an NTG-3 but I'm a sound designer/field recorder, is it worth keeping? Condenser Microphones
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Bought an NTG-3 but I'm a sound designer/field recorder, is it worth keeping?

Bought an NTG-3 for a documentary I was doing production sound on, being said production sound isn't something I do often nor is it something I feel good about spending $700 on.

Being said if there are other practical applications I'd consider not going through the hassle of reselling.

I've been needing a microphone for field recording so I can quit using the h6 modules and I've been looking at the At BP4025/BP4029 which are around the same price range as well as the RODE nt4 which is substantially cheaper, however if the nt3 can accomplish this similarly, anyways, just having buyers remorse.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I just called myself an object, I meant field recordist.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

There is quite a big difference between the NTG3 & NT4, a mono shotgun versus a pair of XY cardioids. Both are useful for sound design & field recording. I think the shotgun is good for spot effects, detailed close up recordings, and rejecting unwanted backround sound. The NT4 is better for ambiences and better if you want to record in stereo.

Depending of what you want to record.. I would consider keeping the shotgun & maybe adding a figure of 8 mic if you want to start doing stereo recordings in future!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

NTG-3 is one of the best microphones Røde builds and it is very suitable for recording sound effects. It has a wider pickup than some other high end shotguns, but that also makes it sound quite pleasant. Its highs are a bit lifted which makes it easy to get lots of textural detail. Thing is built like a tank and can always come with you in its special container. I've got one that stays permanently in my video rig backpack, even though I have more expensive shotgun mics from Schoeps and Sanken. It is a nice addition that I would not sell myself.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search