The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tall mic stands? Condenser Microphones
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G View Post
Yes, and I would like to create some more complex setups, including 3 to 5 nics and a Jecklin disc. That can all be accomplished with these rods. They are not very heavy, but a construction of carbon would be much lighter. I have never seen a mic bar made of carbon.
Yup, I'm with you. You can find the carbon version of the 15mm rod tubes as well. I decided to go for aluminum to try them out and for the cost. Most likely the next ones I buy will be carbon.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpillo View Post
Yup, I'm with you. You can find the carbon version of the 15mm rod tubes as well. I decided to go for aluminum to try them out and for the cost. Most likely the next ones I buy will be carbon.
Yes, but the carbon rods don't have threads at the tube-ends.
We would need to attach evertything with clamps.
Why are there no lightweight and smal clamps with 3/8 inch bolts? That would be a really wonderful way to designe a complex mic bar...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just found this...

K&M 20811 Mic Stand Only - Mic Stands - Accessories - Studiospares

I was wondering if a Rode Micro Boom Pole could somehow be screwed onto this to extend it safely...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyburger View Post
Just found this...

I was wondering if a Rode Micro Boom Pole could somehow be screwed onto this to extend it safely...
Well it has a 1/2" thread, so not easily. Even if you found an adapter, this would give you 6.5m: I'd much rather use an unadapted Manfrotto 269HDBU at 7.3m, even if (or because?) the upper part is rather thicker.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyburger View Post
Just found this...

K&M do a matching long boom arm for this stand so it goes really high.

This is what I have.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G View Post
Thanks Studer, I now remember your brilliant idea. Are these selfie-sticks strong enough to mount a heavier condenser with shockmount?
Depends on the materials and construction quality of the telescopic selfie stick. If they are extended so there's less overlap of nested steel shaft, they will certainly bend. For use with typical SD condensers eg Rode, Line Audio in NOS or ORTF you''ll be ok, but for wider AB, only DPA or OM-1 are recommended. Forget about any LD mics
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
K&M do a matching long boom arm for this stand so it goes really high.

This is what I have.
And you can, of course, buy the two together: K&M 20811 Tall Mic Stand & Boom - Studiospares

More flexible - in that you have a boom - but if you want a vertical-only mic stand, it is still rather shorter and clunkier than the Manfrotto 269HDBU.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 View Post
And you can, of course, buy the two together: K&M 20811 Tall Mic Stand & Boom - Studiospares

More flexible - in that you have a boom - but if you want a vertical-only mic stand, it is still rather shorter and clunkier than the Manfrotto 269HDBU.
They say 4m for the stand alone - so, with the boom, it would, I think, go up to over 6m ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
They say 4m for the stand alone - so, with the boom, it would, I think, go up to over 6m ?
Yep, around 6m, probably just over (it is hard to tell how much the boom arm adds exactly: as an owner, perhaps you can tell us?!). So it probably reaches the OP's requirements for stands 'at least 20ft tall.' As I said earlier, the Manfrotto 269HDBU stand goes about 1m higher, to 7.3m/24ft, but lacks the clunkiness/flexibility (choose which!) of the counter-weighted boom design.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yep, around 6m, probably just over (it is hard to tell how much the boom arm adds exactly: as an owner, perhaps you can tell us?!). So it probably reaches the OP's requirements for stands 'at least 20ft tall.' As I said earlier, the Manfrotto 269HDBU stand goes about 1m higher, to 7.3m/24ft, but lacks the clunkiness/flexibility (choose which!) of the counter-weighted boom design.
I have not needed to use my bid stand recently; it is very sturdy and does go up a long way, but it is heavy to cart around.

If I don't need it so high, I use my Latch Lake which is easier to transport and still gets a good height - I have a custom carrying bag for my Latch Lake.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If I don't need it so high, I use my Latch Lake which is easier to transport and still gets a good height
Which Latch Lake? The 3300 goes up to 20ft/6m anyway, with its boom arm, so presumably you mean one of the smaller models?

Cheers,

Roland
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Which Latch Lake? The 3300 goes up to 20ft/6m anyway, with its boom arm, so presumably you mean one of the smaller models?
Yes, I have the "affordable" 1100.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The 1100 does have a tripod base but the legs
are solid steel but not as long (or high) as typical
tall stands so it can fit between pews yet has excellent stability. With the boom extended straight up you can get 10+ ft. If you need a smaller footprint yet greater height then the 2200 or 3300 are the better options. I have an 1100 and 2 of the 3300’s and love them. When the boom arm is extended horizontally the “disc brake” designed boom clutch means no embarrassing boom slipping in the middle of a gig even with eg heavy ribbon mics.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I saw that too, I think this is the best most cost effective solution,
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

K&M 20811 = 4m40
K&M 21231 = 2m
K&M 20005-300.55 = 95cm

Total: 7m35.

I use the K&M 20005-300.55 with several K&M stuff, really useful.
Fred
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Big Mutha !
Old 2 weeks ago
Would anyone here who regularly uses one of the Manfrotto boom stands happen to have a photo of it on location which they could post? Many of the examples I have seen online highlight its use in photo/video contexts, where it is not very fully extended -- positioning a shotgun mic just out of frame above the talent's head, etc.

A picture or two at full vertical extension plus some degree of boom extension would be wonderful.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I use Manfrotto 1004BAC 124-366cm BK – Thomann Nederland, with a Extension For Light Stands, Black | 099B. That is 3.66m + 2,3m = 5,96m. Total cost for me € 150,00. It is usable but not really stable. Attaching a reasonable weight at the bottom is sensible. If it blows a little in the church space, the upperpart will quickly wobble. Not really for large cathedrals.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Avenger High 14.75' Alu-Baby 45 Stand with One Lazy Leg / 5/8" Mounting Stud, 3 Riser, 4 Sections, Black Aluminum

+

Impact Aluminum Mid-Range Boom Arm

about 19.5' Boom can be set to straight up vertical The stand is light aluminum with a wide base + leveling leg and boom is nice also

stand at lowest, with attached boom in vertical position, presents the mic at eye level
Old 2 hours ago
Gear Addict

Perfect CF poles

These are my buy of the year - 3/8"threaded sections make a scalable solution for unobtrusive tall stands. Of course you can't put a RCA 44BX on them!!! Combine them with Rycote INV6 and CM3's and you are off to the races...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search