The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DI/piezo and UAD wood works plug in Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

DI/piezo and UAD wood works plug in

Hi all, hoping that this is the best place to ask around;
I'm really quite happy with the UAD wood works plug in Sound Machine Wood Works | UAD Audio Plugins | Universal Audio for making an acoustic guitar with a piezo pick up sound listenable. (I do hate that sound so very much)

For live recordings I do have to deal with those dreaded things and this plug in really works for me.

However, it's a UAD plug in, I do not have UAD dsp myself and whilst I do use UAD in the studio, it's quite inconvenient because rendering/committing UAD plugins in PT takes forever.

So; has anyone been succesful with any native plug in to make DI'd acoustic guitar sound bearable?

I have googled my butt off, but there does not seem to be an alternative to sound machine wood works?

Huub
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
Hi all, hoping that this is the best place to ask around;
I'm really quite happy with the UAD wood works plug in Sound Machine Wood Works | UAD Audio Plugins | Universal Audio for making an acoustic guitar with a piezo pick up sound listenable. (I do hate that sound so very much)

For live recordings I do have to deal with those dreaded things and this plug in really works for me.

However, it's a UAD plug in, I do not have UAD dsp myself and whilst I do use UAD in the studio, it's quite inconvenient because rendering/committing UAD plugins in PT takes forever.

So; has anyone been succesful with any native plug in to make DI'd acoustic guitar sound bearable?

I have googled my butt off, but there does not seem to be an alternative to sound machine wood works?

Huub
my trick to make piezo pickups sound acceptable (well, even good!) is to use a di with a very high impedance such as the radial piezo di: on the highest setting, it makes a lot of a difference imo!

i like their jensen trafos on most instruments too.

its hi cut though (basically another good idea) is crap as it starts way too low and is too smooth; i therefore sometimes use a very steep filter from a lake processor (if i've got one channel free).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
my trick to make piezo pickups sound acceptable (well, even good!) is to use a di with a very high impedance such as the radial piezo di: on the highest setting, it makes a lot of a difference imo!

i like their jensen trafos on most instruments too
I concur with deedeeyea. Ultra high impedance loading for piezos help tremendously towards capturing a healthy tone. This is why I designed Pueblo Audio’s OLLA DI with a 45 mega ohm impedance mode (the highest Zin offered in a DI, afaik). And our custom Jensen transformer lends appropriate weight and body which fills inthat thin piezo sound.

Last edited by PuebloAudio; 1 week ago at 02:34 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuebloAudio View Post
I concur with deedeeyea. Ultra high impedance loading for piezos help tremendously towards capturing a healthy tone. This is why I designed Pueblo Audio’s OLLA DI with a 45 mega ohm impedance mode (the highest Zin offered in a DI, afaik). And our custom Jensen transformer lends appropriate weight and body which helps fill out that thin piezo sound.
does an even higher impedance than radial 's setting make a lot of a difference?
max +29dBu in passive mode ain't bad.
could you publish more detailed specs (how about the output? frequency range, frequency response with different settings/load)?
balanced trs then? wish there would be a additional xlr input for line level signals - with that and if you can keep the price, i'd buy a 4-channel unit right away...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
does an even higher impedance than radial 's setting make a lot of a difference?
I found that it does and over a hundred OLLA users would also attest.
Quote:
max +29dBu in passive mode ain't bad.
Thank you for noticing! Yes, that headroom is, for all practical purposes, faultless.
Quote:
could you publish more detailed specs (how about the output? frequency range, frequency response with different settings/load)?
I do believe those detailed specs are already presented on the OLLA's web page. I have attached them below, as well. I can't say the specs change much with load if the appropriate mode is selected. I would be happy to provide further numbers if you could outline a specific scenario.
Quote:
balanced trs then? wish there would be a additional xlr input for line level signals - with that and if you can keep the price, i'd buy a 4-channel unit right away...
Yes, balanced TRS. In fact, the input jacks accept all formats found with 1/4" connections (from unbalanced instrument level to balanced +4 line level and everything in between). The jack automatically conforms to the incoming format. If you wanted XLR inputs, I might be able to punch out the rear panel of the OLLA-4 rack unit. Might not look too pretty, if that's ok. I'll have to check the sizing.
Attached Thumbnails
DI/piezo and UAD wood works plug in-olla_specs.jpg  

Last edited by PuebloAudio; 1 week ago at 03:23 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks, good to know.

I do mostly capture touring acts so I have little to no control over the chosen DI box.

Huub
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

i like their jensen trafos on most instruments too.

its hi cut though (basically another good idea) is crap as it starts way too low and is too smooth; i therefore sometimes use a very steep filter from a lake processor (if i've got one channel free).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuebloAudio View Post
I concur with deedeeyea. Ultra high impedance loading for piezos help tremendously towards capturing a healthy tone. This is why I designed Pueblo Audio’s OLLA DI with a 45 mega ohm impedance mode (the highest Zin offered in a DI, afaik). And our custom Jensen transformer lends appropriate weight and body which fills in that thin piezo sound.
Wow! As a guitarist, thank you for the useful information. I thought piezo pickups naturally sounded bad....
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Given To Fly View Post
Wow! As a guitarist, thank you for the useful information. I thought piezo pickups naturally sounded bad....
That's part of the reason why most guitar pickups sound a lot better when they go into valve/tube amp heads...as these inputs tend to load the pickups with the required high impedance.

You don't have the full story yet, however....you need some numbers to attach to your new knowledge. The terms high and low are thrown around very loosely when it comes to input impedance....with no apparent agreement as to where one ends and the other begins

10-100k ohms seems to be a common figure for line level input in a lot of mixers, and I think a lot of DI boxes aren't much better...which explains why they sound boxy and harsh....it's too low.

I'm guessing at least 1meg ohm would be a (min) desirable piezo input spec, but lots of folk here are far more knowledgeable and hopefully will contribute their 'numbers' (range from undesirable to best).

Once you have that info, your Wow! will be justified... and you can go forth and get the right device for your needs.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search