The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

What can you tell me about the AEA R44 sound? Ribbon Microphones
Old 21st May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff A. Roberts View Post
If they (44BX/AEA44) weighed 12 pounds I would sell a lot more mic stands.

FYI: my 44BX weighs 7.1 pounds.

i guess i was speaking out of the wrong mouth when i said that they weighed 12 lbs. the point is "these things are massive". i will be needing one of your stands if i end up with this mic, that's for sure.
Old 22nd May 2007
Gear Addict

44BX-Heaviest mic?

AFAIK, the 44BX is the heaviest microphone in common use (7.1 pounds = 3.2kg). I needed to know how much microphones weigh in order to determine parameters for designing mic stands.

Does anyone know of a heavier microphone that is not appreciably more rare than a 44BX?

Would anyone care to nominate other microphones that are lighter than a 44BX but still present a real load on the old mic stand?

Or is this a new topic.....
Old 22nd May 2007
Lives for gear

you probably would get alot of replies if you started a new thread.

bill
Old 8th July 2007
Lives for gear

maybe a bit too late on this one...Anyway, I was almost ordering a r84 with my VD preamps/compress, but I found warren´s excelent jam room.

First let me thank you a 1000 times for the work you had. The site is so well designed. Thanks

Now, as soon as I heard you AEA 44 clips my jaw droped. I didnt even know that there was such a mic sounding like that. So so sweet. Then every mic I heard compared to it sounded so harsh, cold and hyped, even the good ones!

Now Im not sure if the r84 is even worth. When you compare both mics you can hear such a big difference. Like the R84 is ok, nice but with no sweet magic compared to the 44..

I know I would have to cut some of that low freq. to make the instrument fit in the mix, and probably give it a bit of a highs, but I cant see how to get such a similar sound without a 44

still wondering if I should buy a 84 first or skip that and save for a 44. Damn expensive though
Old 8th July 2007
Jai guru deva om

Hard to say, money is the only reason I don't own an R44. I just couldn't justify the purchase for my studio, which is "for pay" but between Front End Audio and other things (like spending time with a wife and soon to be 6 kids) I'm usually relegated to weekends and some weeknights recording bands.

I still love my R84...! I don't find the R84 to be a compromise at all, rather the R44 just lives in a league all its own.

War
Old 8th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Hard to say, money is the only reason I don't own an R44. I just couldn't justify the purchase for my studio, which is "for pay" but between Front End Audio and other things (like spending time with a wife and soon to be 6 kids) I'm usually relegated to weekends and some weeknights recording bands.

I still love my R84...! I don't find the R84 to be a compromise at all, rather the R44 just lives in a league all its own.

War
I can certainly sympathize with your situation. Probably the reason I haven't jumped on one myself.
Your rationale of the 84/44 is very astute. Still sounds like I need to own both
Old 8th July 2007
Jai guru deva om

I can arrange a demo if you're serious!

War
Old 8th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can arrange a demo if you're serious!

War
I really appreciate the offer. One day I may take you up on that but as I stated above I am in the same boat as you right now. It is on my wish list but I remain in lust for the moment.
Old 8th July 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff A. Roberts View Post
If they (44BX/AEA44) weighed 12 pounds I would sell a lot more mic stands.

FYI: my 44BX weighs 7.1 pounds.

Jeff

I figure if we completely filled an el Diablo ribbon mic with lead, we could get it up to about 10 or 11 pounds. Would that do it for you?

Seriously, 7 or so pounds is already a lot of weight. Don't drop it on your foot.

Latest News from Crowley and Tripp's Lab
Old 9th July 2007
Lives for gear

If there was no jam room I would have a 84 already, damn

As someone already suggested, a original rca could be a good way to go, they hit ebay much cheaper than a new AEA. But with a ribbon mic, i wonder...

I guess that it would be pretty hard to get a new ribbon for it..

Warren, I still go to your site to hear that acoustic guitar, and the electric too, amazing, simply amazing. Thanks again
Old 9th July 2007
Jai guru deva om

It hasn't stopped me from personally buying and keeping an R84...!

You're very welcome.

War
Old 9th July 2007
Lives for gear

Where does the Octava ML52 stand with those mics ?
I have removed the inner grill on my pair.
Old 9th July 2007
Lives for gear

if you go with the R44 be prepared for the mother of all proximity effects.
Old 9th July 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
That's pretty funny. And almost certainly true (given my experience with the R84). I've always wondered what sort of high-pass filtering went on in the old days (i.e. 30's and 40's) when they made all those wonderful recordings with RCA 77's and 44's.
Old 9th July 2007
Jai guru deva om

Distance, mic'ing an entire band or ensemble with one mic far back in the room would help!

War
Old 10th July 2007
Lives for gear

I find a foot of distance is fine ... for male vocals.

Killer mic - but the ultra bright rock thing it won't ever do (-;
Old 10th July 2007
Lives for gear

Warren
Which version of the 44 do you have for demoing purposes?
I have a 5 piece horn date coming up in 2 weeks.
Tuba, bone, sax (2) and trumpet. There will be various sax parts and a clarinet part recorded as well. Plan on using my R84 (2), RCA 77dx, R92 and 121. Maybe this would be a good time to try out the 44?
Old 10th July 2007
Jai guru deva om

Jim, it's the R44C. I sent details to your PM box though to handle this privately.

War
Old 10th July 2007
Lives for gear

jamz has the sickness! the sweet taste of guinness and the sweet sound of ribbons.
Old 10th July 2007
Jai guru deva om

Maybe somebody will buy Jim a case of R44 mics for his next birthday!

War
Old 10th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe somebody will buy Jim a case of R44 mics for his next birthday!

War
I'll drink to that!

BTW as it is summer time I am slipping in more Coronas these days.
Not bad with Oyster shooters (Oyster in a shot glass with vodka and bloody Mary mix) Hey Yo!!
Old 12th March 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
I recorded a harp once, I put the mike (R88) near to the harp, when the player touched the bass strings, the sound was like a gigantic deep bass coming from a 64/32/16/8 foot pedal note on an organ...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
I'll drink to that!

BTW as it is summer time I am slipping in more Coronas these days.
Not bad with Oyster shooters (Oyster in a shot glass with vodka and bloody Mary mix) Hey Yo!!
I had a R44CE for trial. It’s simply AMAZiNG!
I own 2 R92 and as condensors: 2 U67

I couldn’t compare the R44 against a R84 ... but if I can tell you something, is: it’s a mic to go.

Take. i to consideration that the proximity effect, is not unmanageable or exagerated at all!

In case you nees stereo takes: R88 is a must ....

Last edited by TORMY; 1 week ago at 12:54 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search