The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DPA bought by RCF Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 12th December 2018
DPA bought by RCF

The Italian manufacturing company RCF has bought DPA. I do not know anything about RCF, but these kinds of acquisitions often lead to a lessening of the acquired companies products.

What do you think about DPA becoming part of the RCF group?
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear
RCF is Italian PA!
Oh Dear....
Another Danish pro audio co bites the dust
Its too expensive to manufacture there.
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear

One hedge fund company bought another hedge fund company.

One can only imagine what will happen.
Old 13th December 2018
Every time I see one of these headlines, I feel that much more grateful for the Schoeps, the Grace Designs, the Microtech Gefells, the AEA's of the world...
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
What do you think about DPA becoming part of the RCF group?
I think DPA will be fine. RCF recently bought EAW as well, who are a highly regarded speaker manufacturer.

DPA have been working very hard in recent years with new and/or updated microphones, finding niches in close-up instrument miking solutions and so on. The DPA of today is a very different and far more dynamic company than the DPA of 10 years ago.

I don’t think we’ll see many changes in that regard.
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Looks like a private equity fueled acqusition. RCF Group buys DPA Microphones in second big acquisition

The question is, what changes will be made to generate the required return on investment?
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
RCF is Italian PA!
Oh Dear....
Another Danish pro audio co bites the dust
Its too expensive to manufacture there.
Well, their previous owner had nothing to do with audio at all so it's actually a step closer to the audio world.

Portfolio Companies: Riverside’s Private Equity Portfolio
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

The overall negative atmosphere advanced in this thread pursuant to this acquisition is blind to the real world advances in the RCF brand over the past 10 years. Corporate acquisitions and mergers are never neutral: the end result is largely dependent upon and controlled by the circumstances driving the transaction. I view RCF, EAW and DPA as a vertically aligned, well financed high teck audio entity that will be very successful in the world audio market place: much like the A & H, Digico and Calrec marriage that produced the world class D-Live. Beringer, with the Midas purchase, elevated it's status as the masters of intellectual audio theft and shoddy manufacturing into a viable entry level audio biggie. However when high end boutique companies like Alesis get into deep balance sheet problems and are rolled over in a "fire sale" it usually produces a steep and very quick down hill slide.
IMO RCF and A & H will be future audio giants and Beringer's status will be determined by it's ability to manage their relationship with the Chinese Gvt. Volvo cars and Beringer audio will see their viability determined by a few political leaders in China, not the marketplace.
Hugh

Last edited by hughshouse; 13th December 2018 at 02:25 PM..
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
high end boutique companies like Alesis

Alesis is high end boutique now?
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

DPA expanded their product line quickly and vied for attention in some new audio niches. Hopefully, even the reduced audio knowledge (from former days) managers will remain in place under this new ownership. They have announced that they will remain in place.

DPA expanded and enhanced sales just so that they could be sold. That is the modus operandi of private equity.

I only pay attention to the Bruel & Kjaer manufactured omni microphone products like the 4006, 4007, 4041.

The DPA company as constituted today only manufactures 2 types of miniature microphones.
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

20 years ago Alesis had the HD24 and Masterlink cutting edge units that were stand alone digital recording devices well before Jo Co and several other brands that followed. They were a classic example of a tech rich/cash poor troubled business model. The only thing of value remaining is some of the design code that is sill under wraps waiting for a suitable buyer and they will probably become obsolete before that occurs IMO.
Hugh
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Not sure about that. Alesis did phenomenally well with the ADAT, then they made the fateful decision to plough a lot of resources into developing the Andromeda synth, which was a huge flop. They're now part of the Numark group.
Old 14th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I only pay attention to the Bruel & Kjaer manufactured omni microphone products like the 4006, 4007, 4041.
The DPA company as constituted today only manufactures 2 types of miniature microphones.
What do you think of the B&K 4011?
I've had a pair that I purchased some 30 years ago that I have been quite happy with.

Last edited by wildplum; 14th December 2018 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 14th December 2018
What do you all think of the following statement by the current CEO of DPA: “Under the new ownership, we plan to expand DPA’s brand position in all segments.”

To me it sounds like, possibly, while DPA will remain active in the up scale pro audio market, they intend to put additional emphasis on down market segments (areas where they have not been very active but could potentially be very lucrative given the brand's reputation for quality products).
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

I learned some interesting things when I attended a DPA workshop at TC furlong pro audio dealership in Lake Forest, IL.

Among the most interesting things revealed by the DPA talker (soon fired after his presentation) was that DPA only makes two types of miniature capsules. They design electronics too of course.

The sell these as omni mics and they combine two of the capsules in an interference tube design and sell it as a cardioid microphone. The 2006 model for example is a tiny capsule in a traditional looking body.

The premium omni and cardioid capsules are still made by Bruel & Kjaer and fitted to DPA designed amplifiers. According to my Dutch mic guru, Rens Heijnis, the DPA designed electronics are of a poor design and poor quality.

So your quote above means to me that they will continue to make new products from their own manufactured miniature diaphragm microphones.
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
What do you all think of the following statement by the current CEO of DPA: “Under the new ownership, we plan to expand DPA’s brand position in all segments.”
Hopefully that means I will be able to buy a 4099S for my saxophone without having to spend $600+.

I'd be comfortable with $350-400ish.
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Hopefully that means I will be able to buy a 4099S for my saxophone without having to spend $600+.

I'd be comfortable with $350-400ish.
Not when a hedge fund owns it. Read the whole thread.
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Nut

[QUOTE=wildplum;13686681]What do you all think of the following statement by the current CEO of DPA: “Under the new ownership, we plan to expand DPA’s brand position in all segments.”

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them moving into the affordable on-camera mic market to compete with Rode et al. They could position themselves well there, pricing themselves slightly higher than Rode as a ‘premium’ product.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search