The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Synchronizing Tascam HS-P82 with Zoom F8/n during recording Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Synchronizing Tascam HS-P82 with Zoom F8/n during recording

Hello, I'm still thinking of expanding the channel count on my mobile setup. Adding a Mixpre 10 would be a bit over my budget. As yet I have a Tascam HS-P82. I know it is possible to snychronize two of them, so that would one option, but as muc as like the pres on it, they are heavy.

So I thought of a Zoom F8/F8n. Bying totally new to synchronizing I ask myself if I could make one of them being slave to the other and also being both started from the master recorder?

Advice much appreciated!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes you can. Both of those machines offer the ability to start and stop recording from an external timecode signal.

So you just need to decide which you want to be the master and feed timecode out from that machine into the other one.

-Mike
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks, that_s a good news.

Maybe a stupid question, but Zoom says on the Homepage for the F8n just 'timecode' without specifying the format. Is it to be understood as 'Wordclock' or is it some other time code format?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

No, timecode and wordclock are two different things. Ideally you need both to lock two recorders together.

Even if two recorders share the same timecode (also known as LTC), their internal clocks may start to drift apart. Word clock will prevent them from drifting apart.

-Mike
Old 6 days ago
But with modern recorders with accurate timecode then you shouldn't need to worry about any substantial drift over moderate recording lengths
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
But with modern recorders with accurate timecode then you shouldn't need to worry about any substantial drift over moderate recording lengths
How long back was timecode 'inaccurate' ? Can you please quantify 'modern...accurate...substantial...moderate' ?
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
How long back was timecode 'inaccurate' ? Can you please quantify 'modern...accurate...substantial...moderate' ?
I imagine to a certain extent it is "subjective" (as what is an "ok ish" drift for one person over 15 minutes, is not for someone else)

And it highly depends on what particular cameras (or recorders) we're talking about. As some are much worse than others.

Key point to remember is that timecode is just simply a very very VERY accurate date stamp right at the start of a file.

But after that very first moment at the start? You're at the mercy of the machine itself as to how fast or slow it counts through time. (unless you're using genlock, which then takes over the camera and controls every moment as to when the shutter is open/closed etc for how quickly the frames will now be counted though)
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search