The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mic selection for vocal duo Condenser Microphones
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

mic selection for vocal duo

A newbie question ...

I'm preparing to record a female duo. Often in unison, some harmonies. Looking for a very natural sound. I have a fair range of mics to choose from.

I'm wondering how close I should match the mics from the outset. Start with a shoot out for each singer and then test record to see how well they work together? Or start with pairs of the same mics and compare the pairs?

Thanks.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Use your two best and most natural sounding mics. If you have a pair of them, even better. Might avoid any possible "mic envy" between the singers if using identical mics.
Or for a really natural sound use one good ribbon mic and have them sing into both sides at the same time together.
In any case, usually better not to concern the singers with the gear you are using. They have enough to think about just focusing on their performance. You should know your mics well enough to choose for them without involving them in the decision process. IMHO. Good luck.

Last edited by edva; 4 days ago at 03:42 AM.. Reason: +
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

What is the genre?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Show your mic list here so everybody can tell to go get something else.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

You won’t want to put a 58 with a KMS105... but I cannot imagine a pair of 105s or DPA d:facto wouldn’t serve wonderfully, unless this is a rockshow. I just heard the latest d:facto at a DPA demo at Vintage King last night. It was something special. Hearing is believing.

The one thing I’d surely do if nuanced reproduction and/or reinforcement is the goal... I’d match the mics, primarily so the main on-axis sonic profiles are the same, but also so the off-axis response and patterning match up as well.

One old guy's opinion.

HB
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
You won’t want to put a 58 with a KMS105... but I cannot imagine a pair of 105s or DPA d:facto wouldn’t serve wonderfully, unless this is a rockshow. I just heard the latest d:facto at a DPA demo at Vintage King last night. It was something special. Hearing is believing.

The one thing I’d surely do if nuanced reproduction and/or reinforcement is the goal... I’d match the mics, primarily so the main on-axis sonic profiles are the same, but also so the off-axis response and patterning match up as well.

One old guy's opinion.

HB
I have 3 of the original dFactos (flat from 100Hz up with 3dB bump at 12k) and one of the linear versions (no bump).
They sound so clean and natural. I can’t stand the all too ubiquitous upprr midrange harshness bump of many directional mics. After hearing
my first dFacto I immediately new I would be getting
more. Very smooth off-axis as well as on-axis.
Several times I have had a performer singing
and playing violin (separately and together).
Even without moving it the dFacto sounded terrific for both. In a pinch I have used it on other acoustic instruments and it sounded great. Designed as a stage mic but fine for recording too.
Between the dFactos and my Sennheiser MKH8040/8050’s I can handle just about anything for live sound and live recordings.

PS all my dFacto’s are supercardiod, apparently there is a new omni dFacto for interview use.

Last edited by Folkie; 3 days ago at 12:27 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
I have 3 of the original dFactos (3dB bump at 12k) and one of the linear versions (no bump).
They sound so clean and natural. After hearing
my first one I immediately new I would be getting
more. Very smooth off-axis as well as on-axis.
Several times I have had a performer singing
and playing violin (separately and together)
Even without moving it the dFacto sounded terrific for both. In a pinch I have used it on other acoustic instruments and it sounded great. Designed as a stage mic but fine for recording too.
Between the dFactos and my Sennheiser MKH8040/8050’s I can handle anything for live sound and live recordings.
Exactly. Right there with you on MKH8040s, as well. Cardioid mics with omni-grade off-axis frequency response smoothness and bass extension. My other MKH is the 8060, which, in its place, is an awesome tool as well.

Until we know the contents of OP's mics locker, we'll just have to gush, I guess. With DPA, though, in general, there is no "signature sound" or "Mojo" involved... That is, if you don't like the sound/sounds of the talent standing there listening in whatever acoustic... you likely won't like the sounds emanating from the nearfields either... 'cause they'll be pretty much the same.

Cheers.

HB
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search