The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are you using for laptop recording? Audio Interfaces
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

What are you using for laptop recording?

I have absolutely had it with Pro Tools. A 6101 error hosed me this weekend; fortunately just the back up. Then no help with paid customer "support." Spent the day looking at hundreds of frustrated posts about the same problem with no fix from Avid.

Moving on. Too expensive not to work. Rant over.

Now, what are you who are making primary or backup recordings on location using for a laptop app?

Maybe Reaper, but pretty clunky. Don't want to go all Windows and Pyramix although it's tempting. Logic? Nope. Boom Recorder? Maybe.

I'd like something I can control with EuCon and Artist Mix units.

Ay ideas??

D.
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Ouch, sorry to hear it. Reaper has been so solid for me, even on my old Mid-2010 MacBook Pro, I can't see using anything else. What is it about it you find clunky?

Ralph
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

I also use reaper, rock solid for the past 8 years with nary a glitch or problem. Tried logic on a MacBook for about 2 months and immediately went right back to reaper.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Umm...I use Protools. On a Lenovo P50 running Windows 10 Pro.

Going to build a 6-core i7 Windows 10 machine for Protools Ultimate/HD Native with a Focusrite Red 8Pre and Dante backbone to use in my truck. I will also install a JoeCo Dante unit as live back up. (And my current laptop with DVS would make a triple back up solution).

I don't have the problems that others using Protools have had on my current system. Actually my last two Windows laptop systems have been exceptionally stable compared to the Protools 6/7 years. But, I have it loaded up with 64GB of RAM, use SSDs for the OS and to record to, and use a 1024 buffer. I also don't use virtual instruments.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

I do most of my work on a Sager PC with Sequoia and Reaper on it. Not a huge fan of Reaper, but it's solid. Also have a Macbook Pro with Pro Tools on it and it's pretty solid, but not perfect (that's why I have an RME UFX that I can back up). It also has Reaper which is quite solid and Waves Tracks which is quite solid. All my post production is done in Sequoia and even as a beta user is quite solid.

The big thing with all of my machines, though, is I don't have anything other than sound software on them. They don't go on the internet, they don't get used for word processing or other things. It's just like a tape machine was- single purpose. And that has been a huge help towards keeping the rigs stable, regardless of platform.

--Ben
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear
There's a lot of functionality hidden in Reaper. There are some things you can do in setup that make it flow better. One GS member, Kenny Giogia, has some excellent Reaper tutorials on Groove3, and now I see he has put some on YT. YouTube

If they would only make a Linux version of Reaper, it would be even more super stable and fast even on an old laptop.
Old 15th November 2018
Reaper. You need to tell yourself you're going to invest the time to learn it, and then when you do you'll be happy. I think that's true for most DAWs, you need to train your brain to the biases of the developers.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

When I went to Reaper I devoted a lot of time to trying to break it and to inventing scenarios from my experience and trying to solve them. Reaper is very deep, and it also has users all over the world. I was able to find out nearly anything by doing searches online. Give it a shot, as you know you can do this full-up for free. I think it is far less clunky and encumbered by irrelevant stuff than PT. There is also Boom Recorder?
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Don't want to go all Windows and Pyramix although it's tempting.
Why not? It works superbly. Stress levels low. Competency high.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear
Good thing you had your JoeCo on the job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
I have absolutely had it with Pro Tools. A 6101 error hosed me this weekend; fortunately just the back up. Then no help with paid customer "support." Spent the day looking at hundreds of frustrated posts about the same problem with no fix from Avid.
D.
Old 15th November 2018
I regularly record orchestras. I'm no longer using any computer for audio capture; instead I'm using the Zoom F4, and I have an independent backup system using a Zoom H4Npro. Each device has its own remote mics. No operating system, and no power cords -- it's all battery.

Prior to this, I was using a very old IBM laptop connected to a Steinberg Mr816 interface, running Windows and Cubase. I still use this setup for capturing 8 or more tracks of my 5-piece jazz-rock band. It has never failed.

In both situations, I copy the recorded tracks over to a much newer Lenovo Win 10 laptop, and do my post-processing in Cubase and Ozone.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

The original post was re: laptop recording (yay Reaper!). But....I'd rather use my JoeCo if I can, and not a computer...
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

I used to run Pro Tools on a (heavily tweaked) Lenovo W500 quad core with an RME UFX, now I'm running the UFX with a 2010 Macbook Pro i7 (Mavericks).
Still running PT10HD no problems. Not in to the constant upgrade thing. Always running the RME USB backup but have never needed it.

Anyway sorry to hear about your troubles. I've heard that Boom Recorder is solid, been meaning to try it.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
If they would only make a Linux version of Reaper, it would be even more super stable and fast even on an old laptop.
REAPER | Download

3 Linux downloads now available, see link above, 32 and 64 bit and another....claimed to be experimental, but why not give it a try and report back here ? Been available for the last 4-6 months I think....download tab directly below the usual Win and Mac ones.
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Addict

here, for live recordings:
1x Gigabyte with SSD, Windows 8.1 and Samplitude Prox3 Suite with an RME UFX also used as a Backup recorder.

In sessions:
2x Gigabyte with SSD, 2x Windows 8.1 and Samplitude ProX3 suite with one Madiface XT for the main computer and a direct backup from this interface to the second computer via a Madiface Pro.

Fred
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

MERGING HORUS with HP Z420 Pro Tools 2018.10 as main recorder 32bit/96kHz

Backup

Macbook Pro 17" Core Duo Mid 2009 with Boom Recorder

All via Ravenna AES67 and a Cisco switch
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Another vote for Reaper. I use it on a very ordinary HP laptop running 8.1 and it has never failed me.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear
Reaper here too, on either 2010 15" MacBook Pro or Lenovo with Audiofire interface and TI cardbus pcmcia ....old but reliable !
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

I abandoned Logic 12 years ago because it was smarter than I was. I have a Studio One 3.5 that provides everything I need or want from tracking, mixing, mastering and distribution. I had no idea Reaper was so popular but the fact is I have not had a reason to leave Studio one over the past 12 years.
Hugh
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
REAPER | Download

3 Linux downloads now available, see link above, 32 and 64 bit and another....claimed to be experimental, but why not give it a try and report back here ? Been available for the last 4-6 months I think....download tab directly below the usual Win and Mac ones.
Thanks. Image the possibilities of being able to use Reaper with Ubuntu on pretty much any computer without the hassles of MS or Apple.
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Guru

Before I read the first post in this thread I had never heard of Boom Recorder. Spent a little while messing with the demo yesterday. It works, but it doesn't have an edit screen or a timeline or any of that, you just have files landing in a folder. And it costs 4X as much as Reaper.
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Maniac

As a bit bucket, Boom Recorder has been flawless for me for probably close to a decade. Primarily use it with RME hardware and Totalmix for monitoring.

In cases where I don't use RME, I've been using Waves Tracks Live which has also been flawless and allows for basic monitoring etc.
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Addict

Reaper here. Admittedly, a big reason is school budget, but it's been excellent.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Okay, I have Reaper and it may just be time to throw in the towel on PT. I believe that it will function with Artist Mixes as controllers using Eucon which eliminates me packing a large panel.

I have it, I bought it, I'll try it.

Also maybe Waves Tracks Live

Thanks all.

D.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Boom Recorder came out in another time and place when very reliable timecode based multitrack recording with metadata entry wasn't very available to video location sound recordists (ie dialog). It is more expensive than Reaper, yes, but it was far cheaper than its competitor, "MetaCorder" doing more or less the same thing. It was great until companies like Sound Devices started making recorders with more tracks, and then it wasn't worth the hassles of dealing with a computer on location so much anymore. Here is a pic of part of a very lowbudg combi-multitrack rig in action in 2010. 2 laptops running 2 Boom Recorders (and below this in the rack, a JoeCo and a 744T) all clocked together. It was ok, it worked, even with the very slow laptops shown here. But today I'd do this with 2 JoeCos. I've had very good luck with Reaper and an older laptop recording shows where the only feed available was USB or Dante etc. BR would work too, but just like folks recording in PT, if you record in your DAW app when you are done recording your files are already in your DAW, saving a step.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you using for laptop recording?-2x-br.jpg  
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

I am certainly happy with my JoeCo BBR64-Dante and would throw a second into the rack in a moment, but . . .

That means toting a large physical desk on location for monitoring and mixing to 2-track. I have a Presonus SL24AI that works well for this, is even Dante enabled albeit at a maximum 48k SR. But I have a work-around for that and can mix up to 24 tracks at 96k.

The cool thing about the PT setup was that I could use two Artist Mix units to have physical faders to mix on and Lockstep to send timecode via Dante to the session. All in a tiny package.

I have tried a couple of more steps; turning off the Edit Window (laptop video cards are, according to some, causes of spikey CPU performance) and running an external spinning drive (as opposed to a dedicated but internal SSD) via Firewire after trying USB and having a crash. Running more than three hours now. At six, I'll terminate the session and set up a new one to run for six hours. Then I will add back the Artist Mix units and set up another session and run it. I will do this until 1) it crashes or 2) it's run long enough without a crash that I will start to trust it again. Then take note of all the setup on the MBP so I can recreate it on the next job.

Or blow it all to hell with a hand grenade.

D.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

It was exactly the monitoring+2-mix thing that drove me to go to mixer-preamps to use with my BBR1. I used to use consoles for this, but as you know doing that makes one's "footprint" (in time as well as space, so to speak) unacceptably large for smaller jobs in smaller places. The pres I use now have the BBR1 sitting on their insert points, so what I hear @ the headphone jack has passed through the recorder, ie is a multitrack monitor. If I want to use other outboard pres I go into the pre as line-in bypassing the local pre. This has gotten the rig down to a single 6 space rack. Here I am last week crammed into the back room of a tiny bookstore/music club in SF... It's not as much fun to finesse a mix on these things as it is on a console, but it works fine for making a demo-ref I've found. I should say that most of what I'm using this for is mic>pre>recorder jobs, not gigs where I'm joining a network of any kind....I'm working on that.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you using for laptop recording?-pp-lm6-b-b-11_18.jpg  
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

The Grace m108 pres do give me the ability to "mix" but only 8-tracks at a time. It might not be impossible to listen back from the JoeCo's 2-track mix on the Dante return to one of the m108s. Here's the thing. Could I do a simpler package to record the stuff I worked on this weekend? They were twelve and 17 tracks respectively. Yes, probably, although much less conveniently. Are most of my jobs that complicated? Most certainly not. Most are two to four mic jobs that fit easily onto the SD 788T. But in both the above cases I had a reasonably large work space. One, in fact, the entire dedicated booth at the Opera House. Yes, I felt special

All these bigger jobs, with the full-boat rig serve as laboratories the make certain that when those few-and-far-between CD recording sessions come around, I can present as a prepared professional, often to producers who don't know me, nor I them. The options for equipment (or engineering) failure become pretty small in those cases and I want those big jobs to go, as much as possible, with no hitches on my end. That larger mixing surface becomes important when the producer wants to sit at the controls and mix the two-track. I have other ways in place for me, as the engineer, to monitor and troubleshoot the network; solo mics, make stem mixes, patch, watch for potential problems, watch disk space, all those engineering things. Oh and take notes. So I need to be confident that this larger package works. Works! Not, mostly works. Or sometimes works. That is my quest.

D.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

If you have time and space to use the console then rock on! That worked well for me until it stopped working altogether. For better or worse my peeps seem to want small and fast. The reliability debate of dedicated recorder vs laptop will never end, most people will go with whichever one has given them the least number of flat-tires on jobs!
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

What are you using for laptop recording?-20171028_163751.jpg

Reaper on Mac.
Solid.

Huub
Attached Thumbnails
What are you using for laptop recording?-20171028_163751.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search