The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rode/Rycote blimp basket compatibility? Microphone Accessories
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Rode/Rycote blimp basket compatibility?

Hello Gearslutz!

Has anybody got experience using both Rycote and Rode windshield solutions?

I am trying to mount a pair of Sennheiser MKH8050s in an ORTF configuration inside some wind protection for recording atmos outdoors. I have found a solution using a Rycote WS4 windshield and by making a couple of low-profile XLRs to get it all to fit inside.

The problem is.. it fits, but only just. Even with the small mics and low-profile connectors, there is only about a millimetre or two between the inside of the windshield and the mics. This is causing the mics to bang against the inside with the slightest movement.

I need just a little more space and so I am planning on buying a Rode windshield as I know that they are two or three centimetres fatter in diameter.

Does anyone know if the Rode blimp basket will slide onto the Rycote modular system - or if it can be easily modified to do so?

Many thanks for your time!

Ollie
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Hello Ollie,

Not answering your specific question, but, as you suggest, the gain is minimal: the Rode blimp is only 124mm diam compared to the WS4's 100mm, so your mic capsules will still be near the edge. Although not then banging against the side of the blimp, the wind reduction will be much less effective with the mic capsules so close to the edge: obviously whether this is a problem or not will depend on what conditions you are planning to use them in. The Rycote stereo ORTF windshield is much better, although admittedly two or more times the price: but then 8050s are hardly budget mics! If a cheaper alternative is essential, then will the 8050s work in ORTF (insofar as a supercardioid can be a true ORTF pair!) with baby ball gags? I use them with different (cardioid) mics in NOS on occasion, and it is worth having a pair/a few for their flexibility for AB set ups, spot mics etc.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Look for Rycote 5" stereo gags from the 90s on the Bay
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Roland, I hadn't thought about how the distance between the windshield and the mics would actually affect performance, so thank you!

I think I will take your advice and find some kind of individual solution for each mic - baby ball gag, baseball etc.

Cheers!
Ollie
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocampbellsound View Post
I hadn't thought about how the distance between the windshield and the mics would actually affect performance, so thank you!
Yes, the wind attenuation is directly related to this distance (by the cube power): obviously size is usually limited by practical matters (size, weight and maintaining rigidity).

That said, I did post details earlier this year about a huge blimp I designed when I needed something bespoke for an LDC MS pair. When designing this, I took the opportunity (as size and weight were not issues) to increase the mic to windshield distance, with, as subsequent use has shown, very good effect: the blimp measures a massive 240mm diam and 700mm long - DIY windshield for LDC mid-side pair . This was in the absence of a commercial option, however, so not remotely a recommendation for your setup!

Cheers,

Roland
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Wow that DIY blimp is quite something! Would love to have a go at something similar at some point, as I have a few LDCs and different studio mics that I'm keen to experiment with using in a field recording situation.

Thanks for your thoughts, I like the idea of a solution that will allow NOS and AB spaced pairs too, rather than being limited to a configuration that will fit both mics inside one windshield.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search