The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

What decca tree setup in this hall?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

What decca tree setup in this hall?

Hi all,

Tomorrow I will record the 'Pictures of an exhibition' from Mussorgsky-Ravel in this hall with the same orchestra setup, as you can see on the picture below.

I'm new on decca, and my question is, what height and width do you suggest?
I will use 3pcs Schoeps MK2 S on the tree, and 2pcs MK2 as flanks.
The acoustic of the hall is quite good.
Stage height: 6m
Stage depth: 9m
Stage width: 15m
There is a big audiotorium you can't see on the picture.

Thanks for all constructive comments!
When the recording is done, I'll show it.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
What decca tree setup in this hall?-muha-mso_2018_11_07.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Nice hall!

Decca Tree:

- Left mic: between concertino and 1st violin
- Right mic: between first cellos
- Center mic: between conductor and center violas

Flanks:

- Left: lined with Decca Tree L and R mics and 3rd row of violins and Harp
- Right: lined with Decca Tree L and R mics and just behind last cellos

Record a sample and move mics as desired
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks!
And what do you think about the height?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HangArt View Post
Thanks!
And what do you think about the height?
3.0-3.5m.....but, are you going to suspend the mics from the ceiling, or use mic stands ?
There seems to be very little space to use stands without the front row audience kicking them....?

You could wrap barbed wire or prison razor wire around the mic stands as a deterrent...or use temporary electric fencing used to contain sheep and cows ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
3.0-3.5m.....but, are you going to suspend the mics from the ceiling, or use mic stands ?
There seems to be very little space to use stands without the front row audience kicking them....?

You could wrap barbed wire or prison razor wire around the mic stands as a deterrent...or use temporary electric fencing used to contain sheep and cows ?
:D
Instead of deterrent, I will suspend the mics.
Old 1 week ago
If it were me, I wouldn't use a Decca tree at all.... The tree is designed to get some additional reach in situations where the stage is particularly deep. Think large orchestra with the back wall closer to 15m-20m away. I would use an AB pair around 70cm wide just behind the conductors podium with the outriggers at the second or third desk. Add a pair for the winds and mics for bass and tymp and you have a good start.
This seems like a very small stage for a full orchestra...
As always, YMMV.
All the best,
-mark
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’m a Decca fan but in this situation I’m with Mark, especially if you’ve never used a tree before. Spaced pair “a meter behind and a meter above” the conductors head, maybe a little bit closer in.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

One of the descriptions from a decca engineer that might seem applicable is described as thus:
>
mics 9’ to 10.5’ above the stage
center mic 1’ back from edge of orchestra pointing at center of violas
left/right mic 2.5’ back from center and 5’ apart pointing over a bit and at first vn and cello
outriggers halfway between the first and last rows of the violins and cello pointing straight or slightly down and 2.5’ or 3’ behind left/right tree mics
a spaced pair of cardiods at the ww high enough that you can touch the capsules with your fingertips if you’re about 5’10”
a cardiod over the tymps and one at the bass viols

There are guidelines on the dB relationship of the various channels; if you PM me I could share what I know

you could shift the whole thing forward so the center mic is directly over the conductors head but the decca engineers description I was sharing didn’t say that
you will get a little nicer diffusion with them back a bit

I think you should try it, it will be enjoyable to mix
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
I’m a Decca fan but in this situation I’m with Mark, especially if you’ve never used a tree before. Spaced pair “a meter behind and a meter above” the conductors head, maybe a little bit closer in.
This!

Flankers here seem over-kill with such a narrow stage

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i'm neither a fan of decca (unless it's for surround or at least l/c/r playback) nor spaced omnis (due to the inaccurate localisation) and would rather use any other mic technique on a smaller orchestra such as the one pictured here.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i'm (not)…. a fan of spaced omnis .
really didn't know that

Did anyone else notice how big the WW/Brass section was compared to the strings

Last edited by emenelton; 1 week ago at 11:30 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes. I see plexiglass in the future. Or ear plugs.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Well. I all fan of spaced omnis and consider it the only correct way to record an orchestra. Whether it be AB, Decca, binaural, or simply flanks for a more directional center pair. The space is a bit small for a tree, but if you insist on using it, 9 to 11 feet above the stage, directly above the conductor would be the traditional way to do it. AB with flanks would be my choice as well, however.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search