The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rode NT-SF1 and Soundfield SPS200 Condenser Microphones
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Rode NT-SF1 and Soundfield SPS200

Has anyone here got their hands on a Rode NT-SF1 yet? There's been a heavy silence since the spring, but several online sellers now appear to have it in stock.

Before I go ahead and buy one, I'd love to know whether anyone has tried it as a main pair for orchestral / choral / chamber music recording, and how it fared. I know that this isn't it's intended main role, but nevertheless...

It also offers a virtual shotgun mode: is this any good? Can I retire my NTG3 and AKG CK69?

What about the spec? How does it compare with the much more expensive Soundfield SPS200, on which it is clearly based. Is there a significant difference in the sound? Who is making Soundfield capsules now? Rode appear to have a huge investment in automated CNC / CAM technology, I can quite believe that their new capsule will be on a par with, for example a Haun capsule...

Any comments from users would be very welcome.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magus View Post
It also offers a virtual shotgun mode: is this any good? Can I retire my NTG3 and AKG CK69?
Ive used B-Format in shotgun to spot mic ww and brass at the back of orchestra recordings. It worked real well.

However one of the situations it has trouble with is if the nearfield around the mic has significantly louder sound, the shotgun, looking further away, has trouble rejecting that louder nearfield sound.

The shotgun mode is very good however. The shotgun can be zoomed in to provide a nice sound that can take a distant off-mic type voice and give it a nice present body quality.

Last edited by emenelton; 1 week ago at 04:59 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I don’t think that mic is actually available yet. I’ve had one pre-ordered since July, and the expected delivery date keeps getting pushed back.
-Mike
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'd love to know the reason for those delays, Mike. It's not as if Rode and Soundfield are inexperienced in the design and manufacture of microphones...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

amongst other soundfield microphones (which i rented), i've been using the sps200 (which i own) quite a bit as an additional main mic and on a boom: imo the digital steering options are quite useful but cannot provide what you'll get from a real shotgun such as the ck69 (pm me with an offer if you're about to sell)...

p.s. sennheiser's ambeo mic should easily be available if rode cannot deliver...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
I don’t think that mic is actually available yet. I’ve had one pre-ordered since July, and the expected delivery date keeps getting pushed back.
-Mike
Seems to be available here in the UK...e.g. Pinknoise currently have 4 in stock Rode NT-SF1 Ambisonic Surround Sound Microphone | Pinknoise Pro Sound Equipment

Cheers,

Roland
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
amongst other soundfield microphones (which i rented), i've been using the sps200 (which i own) quite a bit as an additional main mic and on a boom: imo the digital steering options are quite useful but cannot provide what you'll get from a real shotgun such as the ck69 (pm me with an offer if you're about to sell)...

p.s. sennheiser's ambeo mic should easily be available if rode cannot deliver...
I don't think that I'll ever sell the CK69. The NTG3 perhaps.

What I'm really trying to find out is how the NT-SF1 compares with the Soundfield products. I have a mk4 Soundfield, which is lovely but somewhat elderly, and a little noisy.

I've been considering for ages buying a portable / field ambisonic mike. I've used and liked a couple of the more recent Soundfield products, and I thought that the SPS 200 was pretty impressive. Will there be any differentiation in terms of quality between the Rode and the SPS200? If so, what? Will the Rode replace the SPS?My perception (based on reading, and hearing some clips, not actual use) is that the SPS200is definitely a cut above the Ambeo.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i guess we all would like to compare rode, soundfield and sennheiser side by side...

wise choice not to sell the ck69 imo :-)
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search