The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what's your monitor speaker width ? Studio Monitors
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
what's your monitor speaker width ?

I happened across this article in Tape Op, recommending that nearfield speakers be 67.5" apart and 4 foot to the ear (the equilateral triangle idea)....and again 67.5"to the 'focal point' behind the head.

I just measured mine: 37" wide and 47" from each tweeter to the ear....so not strictly equilateral but still a big departure from 67.5", however you cut it. At least my tweeter to ear distance is close to his recommended 48" (4 foot)....

I can appreciate the notion of the focal point being 18" behind the head, and that monitor height should mirror the floor to ears height, and the 30 degree toe-out for each speaker, but the width still bothers me ....

Does 67.5" seem too wide to you....and if you're using something close to that, how do the phantom-centre images play out in your setting: solid, diffuse, hole in the middle ?

Here's the source article: http://www.carltatzdesign.com/acoust...g-ensemble.pdf

Here's the axial mode calculator (example), as mentioned in above article:http://www.carltatzdesign.com/acoust...lc-example.pdf

Here's the tool itself: http://www.carltatzdesign.com/acoust...-mode-calc.xls
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I happened across this article in Tape Op, recommending that nearfield speakers be 67.5" apart and 4 foot to the ear (the equilateral triangle idea)....and again 67.5"to the 'focal point' behind the head.

I just measured mine: 37" wide and 47" from each tweeter to the ear....so not strictly equilateral but still a big departure from 67.5", however you cut it. At least my tweeter to ear distance is close to his recommended 48" (4 foot)....

I can appreciate the notion of the focal point being 18" behind the head, and that monitor height should mirror the floor to ears height, and the 30 degree toe-out for each speaker, but the width still bothers me ....

Does 67.5" seem too wide to you....and if you're using something close to that, how do the phantom-centre images play out in your setting: solid, diffuse, hole in the middle ?

Here's the source article: http://www.carltatzdesign.com/acoust...g-ensemble.pdf

Here's the axial mode calculator (example), as mentioned in above article:http://www.carltatzdesign.com/acoust...lc-example.pdf

Here's the tool itself: http://www.carltatzdesign.com/acoust...-mode-calc.xls
So your config would tend to give a 'false' impression of a solid center? You might have a hole in the middle because of monitoring much too far back?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Tannoy System 800a over the edit desk (entire driver array clear of 24" extended monitors, tipped down slightly to align with ears height while seated), equilateral at 65", in a 1000ft2 room with a 16' pitched ceiling (12' walls) covered with painted paper side of 6" thermal insulation between joists (i.e., no installed ceiling). Tannoy System 800 sub is centered under the desk on the floor, in line with the 800a pair. It's 24' from the chair to the far wall, and 8' to side walls. Walls are standard painted drywall, well-insulated (it's a separate building, with full HVAC, from the house) with lots of irregular shelving eliminating large, flat surfaces. Second set of nearfields is HHB Circle 5, set just outside the Tannoys, just to get a different perspective (more "hifi", less clinically accurate). No sub. Both are helpful.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

If you go by the recommendations of John Sayers (whom, I greatly admire and consider myself a follower of his studio design philosophy), your listening position should be between 35% and 38% of the way back in the room, measured from the hard walls. And he recommends a speaker angle of 60 degrees to the listening position (i.e. each speaker toed in by 30 degrees). So, depending on your room width and length, that kind of determines the spacing of the monitors.

In my studio design mock-ups, I'm usually somewhere about 5 to 6 feet between the speakers. But that's in an ideal, RFZ design concept. I'm about to buy a recording truck which I'm sure would make John cringe when looking at the acoustics and geometry.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

an equilateral triangle is almost universally recommended, speakers very close to the front wall mostly too, the 38% rule is of less significance (see also various threads here on gz).

what often gets a bit neglected (in studios but is a huge issue in live sound) is that one should have an eye on low cut filters (or crossover frequency between main speakers and sub), also in relation to the room geometry: you get maximum phase cancellation at half the wavelength - and also watch for the distance from speakers to the ceiling plus side walls if you work in a rectangular room...

i strongly recommend using external dsp regardless of speaker system, room design etc.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Perhaps it may go without saying to many people, but I would also recommend treating your listening room. Early reflections can cause equal problems with imaging as monitor spacing and distance.

For the DIY in you, I'd suggest listening to this podcast on some basics of room treatment: Simple Ideas to Improve Acoustics in Recording Studios and Concert Halls

edit: sorry, I realize this is derailing the topic slightly

Last edited by brhoward; 1 week ago at 04:10 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
One good thing about the 67.5" speaker spacing....it makes the placement of 2 side by side reasonably sized LCD monitor screens quite feasible ....yay !

Maybe that's the primary determinant of the spacing: to get sufficient screen acreage between the speakers ?

Now,a further question: do you recess your LCD screens some distance behind the front-line of the speakers, or maybe angle them inwards, to avoid cancellation/interference reflections off the screens' surfaces ?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search