The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
From Linux PC transfer wav files to Sony PCM-D50 = "Unknown Data" Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

From Linux PC transfer wav files to Sony PCM-D50 = "Unknown Data"

Hello, I record into my PC laptop, the Linux OS is 64-bit AVLinux which is Debian based. I use a 32-bit Windows looping software called Mobius [Circular Labs] as a quick way to multi-layer brief improvs, it will then save the file for you in wav format. I don't know how, but it's working fine! I like to put my stuff on the Sony and listen to it a number of times at my leisure. Mobile and easy to use, I then might delete some things before transferring to another computer.

Sony doesn't mention anything about Linux being supported and I can find nary a peep about it online. But, the recorder is instantly found when I plug in the usb cable. I don't know if it's important but all the while it's plugged in the screen shows "connecting, do not power off". At first I thought the unit was not connecting but finally just looked at the computer and there it was. I was expecting the "connecting..." to change to some kind of "active" status.

Both the files I'm transferring and the Sony itself are set to 44.1. First I tried placing a file in one of the D50's existing folders. I can see it, but when I load it there is no time length shown then when I press play the screen says "Unknown Data".

Then I tried creating a new folder in the same folder where the 10 default folders are kept. I can see it, its content, and the other 10 folders on the computer, but when I disconnect the usb the new folder can't be found on the Sony.

As a test, when the pcm-d50 is connected to the PC I can open the files I transferred and play them with an audio app. So, they're there, not corrupted, but it appears there's something about them the Sony doesn't like.

I am hoping to get this working, I have been manually re-recording my material into the Sony via line in but would rather be able to transfer the files, much easier and only one conversion.
thanks for your time and any info!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

OP here, OK in thinking this over, Mobius can only record in 16-bit samples or "32-bit float" samples, which is the default and what my files were recorded at. In my limited knowledge I'm guessing that is the culprit right there.

But, the Sony is set to record at 44.1/24-bits, don't know why that setting would affect what files can be imported/played. I guess an experiment would be to record in Mobius at 16-bit, then set the Sony to 44.1/16, and see if it will play the file.

At initial testing I already had some files in the Sony that I had recorded through line in [from the laptop] at 44.1/24-bit [as described in my first post] and if I'm remembering correctly those files could not be reloaded back into Mobius. Or, more correctly, they would load but would not play. Which makes sense, they are not 16 bit or 32 bit float.

I haven't tried an SD card with the Sony but can't see how that would help the situation as the file format would still be the same.

Wondering how easy it would be to convert the 32-bit float files on the laptop to 24-bit, if it's even possible. That's starting to sound a bit complicated, no pun intended! Not sure if I want to start using Mobius at 16-bits, I'm often recording very quiet sounds with the mic cranked up, I thought the higher bit rate was supposed to help in such scenarios.

The other mystery at this point is why I couldn't see the new folder I created in the Sony. I'll have to look into that some more.
thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Convert audio on linux, did tou try sox?
Old 2 weeks ago
ffmpeg is great for converting anything to something else.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks Tmetzinger and heva, I had started a search and will look into those as well. I believe I read about ffmpeg a long time ago, sounds familiar. I see both sox and ffmpeg are in the repositories of Manjaro, my internet Linux OS [ffmpeg is already installed I guess by default], I'm guessing AVLinux on the laptop where Mobius lives probably has a bunch of converters ready to go.

I changed Mobius from 32-bit float to 16-bit and saved a file then transferred it to the pcm-d50 via usb. As expected it played. Nothing to do with Linux vs whatever, it's just a wav file!

I did not mess with why the folder I created in the Sony was not visible after disconnecting, will have to get back to that later. Wondering if it had anything to do with having the unplayable 32bit files in it... One thing I gathered from my brief conversion search is that it appears there are no consumer/pro-sumer devices that are going to play 32 bit files, if I am understanding correctly.

Now I'll have to try out doing some converting [to 24bit], see how time consuming/tedious it is. The files like I said earlier are quite short. I don't believe I want to change to recording at 16bit, each file/loop is grist for a completed standalone piece. I'll have to re-examine my workflow, just glad to have resolved the file transfer to the pcm-d50, avoiding that second DA conversion.
thanks
Edit: Here's a great thread on the subject of conversion. Mobius does not have the option to record at 24bit, but this gives some insight into converting the 32 to 24.
record with 24-bit or 32 bit float

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search