The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Devices mixpre-3/3m: record from PC via USB? Direct Injection Boxes
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Sound Devices mixpre-3/3m: record from PC via USB?

Hello, this from the mixpre specs:
"The versatile MixPre-3 makes an excellent USB audio interface, offering the unique ability to record audio to an SD card while simultaneously streaming multiple channels of audio via USB (5-in/2-out)."

Does this imply it can record from a PC to the SD card via USB?

I use Circular Lab's Mobius looper software to record improvs using hardware instruments/mics through an analog mixer's L/R outputs into an Echo Audio I/O pcmcia sound card [which I'd be replacing with the Mixpre]. I'll put down additional layers immediately if inspiration strikes. They're short, usually around a minute or less, I might pull off a bunch in one sitting.

It's real fun and quick, the super-intuitive GUI in Mobius helps as well. I'll leave a short space at the beginning and end of each improv, they are standalone pieces and not meant to interlock with anything as in more traditional use of a looper.

When I'm done I'll then record via headphone out on the Echo to line in on a small digital recorder [Sony PCM-D50]. This creates files which I can then transfer to another computer. My thought was that if the Mixpre can record through the USB to itself from the computer the audio would not have to go through 2 conversions.

Mobius is 32-bit Windows software. I'm using it on a 64-bit Linux system. Although thrilled and amazed to see it working, for some reason the ability to save loops as a file is wonky. They are saved but are not visible. That's why I started using the digital recorder.

If the Mixpre can do what I'm asking, are there other combo recorder/usb interfaces that can do this as well, record via usb from a PC?
Thanks for your time and any info!

Edit: The automatically linked product in this post is incorrect. The Mobius I am referring to is an old 32-bit Windows software. The forum disappeared maybe almost a year ago, which is a shame because there was a good knowledge base there. I fear the project may be orphaned now, but the manual, download, and info is still available.
Home
original yahoo forum that still has posts available:
Yahoo! Groups

Last edited by ttgg; 2 weeks ago at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Linked product is incorrect
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes you can. You can set the input to one or more channels of the MixPre to be the USB bus and record those channels to the SD card.

-Mike
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
Yes you can. You can set the input to one or more channels of the MixPre to be the USB bus and record those channels to the SD card.

-Mike
Great, thanks! I don't know what I was doing before but I revisited the saving of wav files from Mobius loops again on the laptop and I can now see the names. I tried transferring to the sony pcm-d50 via usb and ran into some problems, I am going to start another thread.

I ran into this device Radial Engineering USB-Pro that takes digital streaming audio from the computer via USB and converts it to analog balanced line out for sound systems. I don't need such a thing but I'm guessing that if the Mixpre can record from usb out from the PC perhaps it can also send that signal to an output for sound systems. Another feature adding to versatility.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttgg View Post

I don't need such a thing but I'm guessing that if the Mixpre can record from usb out from the PC perhaps it can also send that signal to an output for sound systems. Another feature adding to versatility.
Yes - it can. Unbalanced out on the MixPre-3 and 6, balanced out on the MixPre-10.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search