The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound devices Preamp sound Single-Channel Preamps
Old 26th October 2018
Gear Addict

Sound devices Preamp sound

Hi,

I have been using a Shure FP24 (which is a mixpre with different badge) for years but always found when paired to MKH mics it sounds a bit hard in the upper register. I wanted to ask if anyone has compared this to say the new SD recorders? I currently go analogue to a Sony M10 which is great, but just want something a little more neutral.
Thanks
Old 27th October 2018
I have not made a direct comparison under controlled circumstances, but regularly use both older Shure mixers and some newer Sound Devices products at work, and I think you will very likely notice a smoother and more polished sound from this newer crop of Sound Devices preamps.
Old 28th October 2018
Proud owner of a MixPre 3 and I can say that the mic preamps are very transparent and don't seem to add any sound of their own. Highly recommended.
Old 28th October 2018
Gear Addict

Thanks Tom & Luke, much appreciated!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru
They do sound great and feeding a UA 610 in for what it does works really well. Shocking quality at the price point!.....
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Proud owner of a MixPre 3 and I can say that the mic preamps are very transparent and don't seem to add any sound of their own. Highly recommended.
+1
I also used to own the original Mixpre, and the preamps in the Mixpre 3 are
MUCH quieter and more transparent, and I thought the original was very good.
I'm using the 3 mainly with a Beyer M88, a pair of M160s, or a pair of AKG
414s (brass capsules).
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM View Post
Hi,

I have been using a Shure FP24 (which is a mixpre with different badge) for years but always found when paired to MKH mics it sounds a bit hard in the upper register. I wanted to ask if anyone has compared this to say the new SD recorders? I currently go analogue to a Sony M10 which is great, but just want something a little more neutral.
Thanks
Difference between a Shure FP24 and a Sound Devices MixPre | Knowledge Base | Shure Americas
The FP24 also has switchable 15v and 48v phantom, and you'd certainly want to be using 48 with the MKH mics.
Old 5 days ago
Used FP24, MixPre 14V model, 17V model, 552, 788... The sound quality are top notch. Maybe a little different from 788 as this is the model that is active balanced input. The other included Lundahl input transformer.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Difference between a Shure FP24 and a Sound Devices MixPre | Knowledge Base | Shure Americas
The FP24 also has switchable 15v and 48v phantom, and you'd certainly want to be using 48 with the MKH mics.
Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search