The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AB City
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1
Lives for gear
AB City

If you just scrolled down to the photos and didn't read the text...you could be forgiven for thinking that the madmen had taken over the asylum !

The clarity and neutrality of DPA Microphones secure success for a unique academic recording project
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
Academia is going bonkers
Never a day passes without some lunacy
Their disconnect from reality is alarming
Old 2 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
Looks just like my mic locker

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Bruce Watson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
If you just scrolled down to the photos and didn't read the text...you could be forgiven for thinking that the madmen had taken over the asylum!

The clarity and neutrality of DPA Microphones secure success for a unique academic recording project
This is an interesting project. It's interesting to load an instrument/bit of music up and listen to all the microphone positions. Especially instruments like horn, which shows quite a bit of microphone location dependency.

If nothing else, this reinforces my thought that usually height is my friend. It's also interesting to listen to how well the PZM pair usually does, and what it does to the room acoustic in the process.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5
Here for the gear
 

This is great! No huge surprises, of course, but as an educational tool really quite useful, especially regarding the complexities of string behaviour.

Comparison of different microphone positions for orchestra instruments to get straight to the instruments.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
This is an interesting project. It's interesting to load an instrument/bit of music up and listen to all the microphone positions. Especially instruments like horn, which shows quite a bit of microphone location dependency.

If nothing else, this reinforces my thought that usually height is my friend. It's also interesting to listen to how well the PZM pair usually does, and what it does to the room acoustic in the process.
In addition, reading about it is one thing. Hearing it is something else. This as much a help in training ears as it is in confirming theory.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #7
Gear Nut
 
Stradivariusz's Avatar
Love it! Thanks for posting
Old 2 weeks ago
  #8
Gear Nut
 
Simmosonic's Avatar
 

What a fantastic effort and resource. Being able to click on each pair and hear the difference immediately, in real-time, is excellent.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #9
"Nothing has such power to broaden the mind as the ability to investigate systematically and truly all that comes under thy observation in life."
-- Marcus Aurelius

Nothing but gratitude here for how effectively this resource allows one to better comprehend and predict the behavior of sound radiating from an instrument in a space. It seems to me that this, in of itself, is very valuable without ascribing any particular aesthetic/practical benefits (or lack thereof) to the various microphone positions shown.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
celticrogues's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Academia is going bonkers
Never a day passes without some lunacy
Their disconnect from reality is alarming
But isn’t that the whole point of academia? To have a safe space in which to experiment and do stuff like this which would never fly in the real world.

I am certainly grateful for my time in college that allowed me to do crazy things and overextend myself make mistakes that would never be acceptable now.

I think this is an awesome project and very cool of them to make it available online!

-Mike
Old 2 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
'It doesn't need a weatherman to tell which the way the wind blows' Mike!
I attended a couple of sessions of mic placement sessions at Lansdowne Studio
It was great fun but we hardly learned any more than we knew from 40 yrs of experience
Old 2 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
It was nice that DPA lent them all the microphones. Great project and very interesting results.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmosonic View Post
What a fantastic effort and resource. Being able to click on each pair and hear the difference immediately, in real-time, is excellent.
Schoeps have their own (probably more detailed version) of this:

Image Assistant Image Assistant | SCHOEPS Mikrofone

Close voice samples Sample Player | SCHOEPS Mikrofone

Polarflex Sample Player | SCHOEPS Mikrofone
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump