The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bach cantata - setup advice Condenser Microphones
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Nut

Thank you, Rolo!
I still see that most of my recordings are not good while coming to the mic setup since they tend to need a lot of EQ in the post. While most of my mix lessons I took were about different music genres I still need to learn to use the tools right for the classical music. Both sides - and recordng and post production. I'm a baroque musician myself so I know the estetics, still it is very difficult to get the the sound idiom idea of the piece recorded Used to work with jut a pair of mics, life seemed to be easier - excuse was always there - "I just have one pair of mics, so can't get it better" now I have more mics but completely other problems arrived. But it's still my great love, so will get it better. Especially with all the Gearslutz info and comment which are so valuable.
Greetz!
Old 3rd January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
...while i never cut out/mute tracks (unless there's really silly stuff going on) 'cause depending on the panning of the track, how much room the mics pick up or how much is being sent into an efx device, it can affect the stereo image of the whole mix, something i truly hate!

(this usually doesn't become an issue or works smooth enough not to be noticed when using expanders, pushing down the each track by approx. 3-6 db (or more on very loud stages, but hardly ever more than 12db)

p.s. i'm often using dynamics on the way in as i want my signals to sound pretty much 'finished' when they're hitting the tracks...
I've looked and was pleasantly surprised to find that the X32 dynamics offers expander functionality as well as gates, so I can set a threshold, pic from several ratios, and set a range.

Next time I'm out I'll experiment with using expanders on the spot mics. The nice thing about the routing flexibility is that I can send the DAW two different tracks - one post pre-amp (clean) and one post-preamp and dynamics and see which I like better. I can always put the expansion on in the mix if I want to keep the tracks clean but since I'm sometimes mixing for live broadcast it will be good to learn what can be done with the processing on the console.

Thanks very much for the tip!
Old 3rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
I've looked and was pleasantly surprised to find that the X32 dynamics offers expander functionality as well as gates, so I can set a threshold, pic from several ratios, and set a range.

Next time I'm out I'll experiment with using expanders on the spot mics. The nice thing about the routing flexibility is that I can send the DAW two different tracks - one post pre-amp (clean) and one post-preamp and dynamics and see which I like better. I can always put the expansion on in the mix if I want to keep the tracks clean but since I'm sometimes mixing for live broadcast it will be good to learn what can be done with the processing on the console.
...glad to hear the evil b finally implemented an expander: that wasn't the case in an earlier software version (or just someting labelled expander but still with the behaviour of a gate, meaning cut off below some level) - since i'm mostly using my own desks, i haven't been working on a x32 for years now: how do they hold up? are you using b or midas pres?
Old 4th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
...glad to hear the evil b finally implemented an expander: that wasn't the case in an earlier software version (or just someting labelled expander but still with the behaviour of a gate, meaning cut off below some level) - since i'm mostly using my own desks, i haven't been working on a x32 for years now: how do they hold up? are you using b or midas pres?
I use the B pres in the rack for most things but I have access to a Midas stage box as well. In addition, I've got options for:
  • Using outboard Pres and feeding line level into the X32 (useful if I want specific color) - the X32 pres at zero gain are transparent.
  • Using a grace M108 with Dante, either for recording at 96K and leaving the X32 out of the recording chain, or for higher quality main pairs and spots when I'm incorporating other mics from the X32 as well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search