The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sylvia and Lester guide you through Abbey Road's mic collection Condenser Microphones
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Sylvia and Lester guide you through Abbey Road's mic collection

The man with the best job in the world takes us for a brief tour through Abbey Road's microphone collection (a mere 800+...and no, they never sell any !)

We get to see Alan Blumlein's design for them, plus various AKG's, Neumann, Coles/STC and ....I want a Noise Gun !

Lester Smith's loving care for the mics is evident...witness his handwritten meticulous logbook of measurements.

YouTube
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Using a Neumann M49 as mid and KM56 as side mics (for an M-S pair) as you see in the video, it's impossible (given the grille enclosure volumes) how they could physically be any closer than the mounting bracket allows ? I assume this was therefore one of EMI's earliest M-S rigs ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Wonderful! I had the fortune of meeting Lester in his Hobbit-like microphone lair, hidden in a hallway behind the big room of Studio Two.

When we were setting up to do vocals, the U47 was brought out without question. I asked if I could try a U67 as well, and the engineer got excited, as that was his preferred go-to. He acknowledged that the U47 is always first call partly because it's what people expect to see at Abbey Road. Maybe I'm revealing one secret too many, but he also told me Kate Bush is a U67 fan. Be still my mic-geek heart!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Its not Mr Blumleins rig
He was using the HB1 and a ribbon and a twin powered ribbon binaural array
The MS pair you see was from the 50s
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Its not Mr Blumleins rig
He was using the HB1 and a ribbon and a twin powered ribbon binaural array
The MS pair you see was from the 50s
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Many Thanks for this link Studer58!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
Many Thanks for this link Studer58!
Pleased to give the heads-up . It's great to know that someone of Lester's experience is fully and so enthusiastically engaged in keeping a great mic collection in top working order. There's real value in a 'job for life' in this sector.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
"It was 50 years ago today".....well not exactly today, but you know which album by the Fab Four has its Gold anniversary in 2018 ?

It sure is a big room: YouTube

Wondering which unheard relics if any will make it onto Giles M's reissue.....?

Even Studio 2 itself gets the reproduction treatment....where will it all end: YouTube ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search