The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High Quality, Lightweight Field Recorder for Longterm Travel? Condenser Microphones
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

High Quality, Lightweight Field Recorder for Longterm Travel?

Minimal, high quality, lightweight, field recorder for longterm travel?
Including additional microphones and accessory recommendations.

I'll be recording the environment (nature, city streets, one shots, odd sounds etc...)

Portable recorder needs to be:
High Quality (24bit 96khz min)
Stereo input / capability
Compact and Lightweight
Robust
Max £450 (lower the better)
OR £750

if there is one that can double up as field recorder and daw interface for guitar and vocals. As I'm selling my RME UCX for something more portable.

Thank you
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound girl View Post
Minimal, high quality, lightweight, field recorder for longterm travel?
Including additional microphones and accessory recommendations.

I'll be recording the environment (nature, city streets, one shots, odd sounds etc...)

Portable recorder needs to be:
High Quality (24bit 96khz min)
Stereo input / capability
Compact and Lightweight
Robust
Max £450 (lower the better)
OR £750

if there is one that can double up as field recorder and daw interface for guitar and vocals. As I'm selling my RME UCX for something more portable.

Thank you
Tascam DR100mk3 recorder & AT BP4025 stereo mic.

Not sure about DAW capability.

Last edited by dogmusic; 5 days ago at 06:07 PM.. Reason: Clarify model of mic
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmusic View Post
Tascam DR100mk3 recorder & AT BP4025 stereo mic.

Not sure about DAW capability.
After all my research the DR100mk3 is top of the list. I hear the Tascam preamps are very low noise for price.

Plus that spdif input on the DR100mk3 could allow some interesting portable pairings.

Thanks for the recommendation
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The Zoom H6 works as an interface too like all zoom handyrecorder, can record up to 6 tracks at once, has an inbuild tuner and comes with two different stereo mics. Hard to beat for the price. You get it at some photo stores for < 300,-. The preamps are very good, better than on former Zoom Handyrecorders. If you want to invest more and go very high quality, I would have a look at the new Sound Devices mixpre3 recorders. One version is esp. for musicians and a bit cheaper, because it lacks some features that are important for synching to videos. Another step above the handyrecorders from Zoom and Tascam are the Zoom F4 and F8 recorders. But for both the F series recorders and the Sounddevice recorders you have to buy additonal mics. There are some low-price stereo mics that seem to be very good for the price (like for example the Superlux S502 for < 130,-). None of the recorders I know have a HZ input for guitars or basses. Maybe some of the boss/roland recorders, but they are otherwise not on par with the better zoom or tascam recorders.
In general it seems to be very important what exactly field recording means to you. In some cases noise seems to be very relevant and recorders or mics that are high quality if you record music are still too noisy for high quality field recordings. In these cases you need other gear anyway like expensive windshields etc.
Old 5 days ago
I have both the Tascam and the SoundDevices MixPre6 (the MixPre3 would be fine for you, you don't need the extra mic pre input). I like the flexibility of using the SoundDevices as an interface; it has a great sounding headphone amp, way better than the Tascams and Zooms. Excellent preamps and clean AD conversion. No built-in mics, though. The SoundDevices is the most sturdily built of any of the devices being mentioned.
Old 3 days ago
The DR100mk3 has a rechargeable battery. It can even be recharged via USB.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

I use the Zoom h6 for live recording of my girlfriends bigband on location. I've got 5 of them and 1 Roland r26 .(For run and gun video I mount the Roland on top of my camera to get some decent audio) I think the Roland is the better one with 2 xlr inputs but the Zoom offers 6 xlr inputs (with the dual input capsule) .

YouTube
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecordRuud View Post
I use the Zoom h6 for live recording of my girlfriends bigband on location. I've got 5 of them and 1 Roland r26 .(For run and gun video I mount the Roland on top of my camera to get some decent audio) I think the Roland is the better one with 2 xlr inputs but the Zoom offers 6 xlr inputs (with the dual input capsule) .

YouTube
5 x H6??? I have one. Why do you prefer the Roland? I assumed that the preamps are slightly noisier and the mic-capsules of the Zoom are far better. Wrong? I like the H6 a lot, but would like to have a touchscreen.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search